LOW SHBG increasing

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/artic...fferences-in-the-Apparent-Metabolic-Clearance

Clearance of testosterone decreases as SHBG increases.

Free hormone hypothesis vs free hormone transport hypothesis. It's easier to understand the free hormone hypothesis, which is why it's often repeated on forums. Once you start to think about steroidal function a little bit more than just superficially, this hypothesis makes less and less sense.

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/content/230/1/R13.long

Basically this provides a possible explanation of why low SHBG guys may report little to no improvement with some symptoms, but lack other negative symptoms.

I already linked up the Hammond study which is your second link.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

Last time I checked my SHBG was a few months after starting TRT which was 18, 25 pre-TRT, I'm wondering if perhaps it went up being the reason I'm continuing to feel a little better as time goes on. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes pre-TRT and glucose 220 mg/dL, just recently it was 143 mg/dL and A1C 6.6. It's been improving since March and am hoping my SHBG increased and wonder if this is why I'm starting to feel improvements 4.5 months into treatment. I guess I shall see in 1.5 months. I just switched to twice weekly injections for a total 100 mg week.

Does anyone know at what point SHBG stabilizes after starting TRT?

Last edited:
Increasing injection frequency proves to be only "marginally beneficial" for men with low SHBG? Why do you draw that conclusion? It's a standard clinical adjustment that is recommended by doctors who are the respected leaders in this field of practice.

In my own situation, low SHBG, 19, was determined to be a key factor in why my twice weekly protocol failed. An anemic total trough and sky-high free testosterone levels left me feeling better, but not where I wanted to be. Prior to the protocol change my blood was drawn every day for a week. Sixty milligrams of testosterone drove my total testosterone level to 1300 and it fell like a stone within a 3.5 day window. My doctor is an advocate of small, multiple injections and was determined to see if the lab work she could obtain from patients supported her clinical instincts. It did. Many in her clinic are happy daily injectors.

This provides support for the advice we give members with low SHBG every day here EM: discuss small, frequent injections with your doctor. I argue that it explains why so many report success when they make that adjustment.

I draw that conclusion based on the reports of various men with low SHBG (like ERO, I've read dozens of his posts). It seems to me that the ones who do experience improvement are guys like yourself and Vince Carter, with SHBG hovering around low 20s, rather than low teens or lower. I've seen many of your labs, and if I recall correctly, your SHBG tends to be in the 20s, not 19, although if you've had a more recent lab with 19, then that's more relevant obviously. When you say it fell like a stone, how low are we talking? I'm not saying I don't believe that it falls faster, only that if declining levels were the only reason that low SHBG was a problem, injection frequency would be the all-in-one solution, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I'm going to check out the studies linked now.

Heedcase

I keep hearing about all these people with low shbg that get no benefit from trt,really how many people is this? It gets a lot of hits on google it you search "low shbg trt" but appears to be the same half a dozen people who all claim they know of hundreds of people who all feel like they are injecting water. Not meaning to come across harsh at all I'm just genuinely curios if this untreatable condition is really that common or is it it's a small but very vocal minority that make it seem that way?

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I keep hearing about all these people with low shbg that get no benefit from trt,really how many people is this? It gets a lot of hits on google it you search "low shbg trt" but appears to be the same half a dozen people who all claim they know of hundreds of people who all feel like they are injecting water. Not meaning to come across harsh at all I'm just genuinely curios if this untreatable condition is really that common or is it it's a small but very vocal minority that make it seem that way?
It's a very common problem, low SHBG men struggle with feeling good on TRT. In some it's treatable, if you look under search you find many threads on the subject.

If you take a minute and think it over, why is effectively lowering your Free T, and binding up more of your T, a good thing? Why would you want to have to compensate with a higher Total T to bring up the Free? Maybe to a point, meh, ok you *think you feel better. Maybe there's another mechanism and maybe working with your fatty liver is the root of you feel better but not related to SHBG.

Then there's it's all in your head, the psychosomatic angle.

meanbreen

If you take a minute and think it over, why is effectively lowering your Free T, and binding up more of your T, a good thing? Why would you want to have to compensate with a higher Total T to bring up the Free? Maybe to a point, meh, ok you *think you feel better. Maybe there's another mechanism and maybe working with your fatty liver is the root of you feel better but not related to SHBG.

Then there's it's all in your head, the psychosomatic angle.
Perhaps low SHBG in and of itself is not causing TRT to be innefective; maybe the cause of that person's low SHBG is why adding TRT to your life is not fixing the bigger underlying problem? ( coming from a guy on TRT currently struggling with TRT results and a SHBG of 11)

Perhaps low SHBG in and of itself is not causing TRT to be innefective; maybe the cause of that person's low SHBG is why adding TRT to your life is not fixing the bigger underlying problem? ( coming from a guy on TRT currently struggling with TRT results and a SHBG of 11)

SHBG can often be a sign of a person's health. I've spoken with a nurse practitioner that suspects SHBG regulation is the immune system's way of altering hormonal status, for example starvation drastically increases it, and most inflammatory diseases lower it significantly.

Basically by altering SHBG it's a way of preventing unhealthy people from procreating.

A little complex, but basically if you're unhealthy, TRT won't work.

meanbreen

SHBG can often be a sign of a person's health. I've spoken with a nurse practitioner that suspects SHBG regulation is the immune system's way of altering hormonal status, for example starvation drastically increases it, and most inflammatory diseases lower it significantly.

Basically by altering SHBG it's a way of preventing unhealthy people from procreating.

A little complex, but basically if you're unhealthy, TRT won't work.
I guess that would explain why when I was on Clomid my SHBG was in the 40's. The drug basically forced my body to shift my hormonal status back to normal and regain the potential to procreate.

I guess that would explain why when I was on Clomid my SHBG was in the 40's. The drug basically forced my body to shift my hormonal status back to normal and regain the potential to procreate.

Well Clomid has a known SHBG increasing property, due to its estrogenic effects. This theory applied to guys not on any form of hormonal medication including Clomid.

Think of a guy with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and obesity. Those are known to decrease SHBG significantly, and because they are generally conditions that are caused by being unhealthy.

meanbreen

Well Clomid has a known SHBG increasing property, due to its estrogenic effects. This theory applied to guys not on any form of hormonal medication including Clomid.

Think of a guy with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and obesity. Those are known to decrease SHBG significantly, and because they are generally conditions that are caused by being unhealthy.
Yeah its just weird because my BMI is about 20 and fasting glucose is low 70's usually. I do have mild sleep apnea that is not yet treated properly, which may be contributing to insulin resistance. Not trying to hijack this thread though with my own issues.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me