I think I have an Iron problem

Buy Lab Tests Online

ratbag

I'm hypopituitary and take all hormones. Cortisol, Florinef, Synthroid, Cytomel, Testosterone, Metformin, HCG, Anastrozole, Progesterone, Baby Asprin, and LDN + the appropriate supplements. I've been on TRT for approx 6 years and I was feeling great up to 2 years ago when hypothyroid symptoms started to come back and it's slowly gotten worse. I suspected my Iron was not right but where I live in Canada the hospitals we go to for labs only do ferritin and only if ferritin is above range will they do the full Iron panel. My ferritin was always in range so therefore my MD said I was fine. However I've read in many places that ferritin alone doesn't give you the complete picture of your Iron.

So yesterday I was finally able to get a full Iron panel done at a private lab... unfortunately it's taken me 2 years to get here. So even though I'm on all these hormones I have these miserable symptoms. Now that I see the results of my Iron panel I believe I have too much Iron and likely have high iron symptoms mixing in with my hypothyroidism symptoms. I assume at this point I need a Therapeutic Phlebotomy but thought I'd post this and see if there are any comments. Thx

Iron serum 34 (5.83 - 34.5) umol/L
UIBC 39 (22.3 - 61.7) umol/L
TIBC 73 (33.3 - 89.7) umol/L
% Saturation 0.47 (0.16 - 0.56) F of T
Transferrin 3.21 (1.80 - 2.88) g/L HIGH
Ferritin 73 (25 - 336) ug/L
Hemolysis Index 15 (0 - 9) HIGH

My Hematocrit is slightly over range and so is my Hemaglobin (results not handy)

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Clinically elevated iron serum levels are classified as Dysmetabolic Iron Overload Syndrome (DIOS).

People with DIOS will likely also have elevated liver enzymes which can be as a result of a fatty liver...or other liver pathologies.

A therapeutic phlebotomy along with diet and exercise is necessary to lower Iron serum levls and also to lower your elevated hematocrit as well.

ratbag

Thank you Gene,

Am I imagining things thinking that i'm feeling the symptoms of iron overload? My ALT is 50 (top of range is 40) I never had raised ALT until the last two years which is the period we were unable to ascertain my Iron Serum. Seems my MD isn't convinced I need a therapeutic phlebotomy. He said he was going to do some research but I'm not sure he's familiar with this stuff. Is there a link I can send to him explaining what he should be concerned with because he's the best hormone MD I've found but I'm unsure if he knows that TRT can raise hemoglobin or hemotacrit.

CoastWatcher

Thank you Gene,

Am I imagining things thinking that i'm feeling the symptoms of iron overload? My ALT is 50 (top of range is 40) I never had raised ALT until the last two years which is the period we were unable to ascertain my Iron Serum. Seems my MD isn't convinced I need a therapeutic phlebotomy. He said he was going to do some research but I'm not sure he's familiar with this stuff. Is there a link I can send to him explaining what he should be concerned with because he's the best hormone MD I've found but I'm unsure if he knows that TRT can raise hemoglobin or hemotacrit.

I live in Canada as well and have had success in navigating the health system so as to obtain first-rate medical care. It can be a challenge. Which province do you live in?

ratbag

Thanks Gene, I did find that link but the first sentence states: "DIOS is characterized by an elevated serum ferritin with a normal transferrin-iron saturation percentage "

I do not have elevated serum ferritin, (my Ferritin is 73 (25 - 336) ug/L) some would say this is on the low side. I'm unsure what normal % saturation is, mine appears to be on the higher side and my transferrin is over range. So by definition I'm not sure I have DIOS. Not trying to be complicated but my MD is a methodical type of person. I'm inclined to think he'd view this differently. But I did send him that link and stated that at the very least I do have polycemia and that warrants a phlebotomy.

Last edited:

ratbag

is there a link here somewhere that shows that TRT users and their MD's need to be aware of polycemia? I don't believe my MD is even aware of this.

CoastWatcher

is there a link here somewhere that shows that TRT users and their MD's need to be aware of polycemia? I don't believe my MD is even aware of this.

Which is a warning light flashing and raising the question of his competence in this area. Is he your primary care/family doctor?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me