Need fish oil recommendation

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
How do I know if my omega-3 fish oil is an ethyl ester or a triglyceride?
Fish oil products available in North America do not require labels to state whether they are in triglyceride or ethyl ester form. Since this information is not easily accessible, there is a simple, inexpensive, and rapid method to determine if a fish oil supplement is in the triglyceride or ethyl ester form by using polystyrene (Styrofoam) cups.
Measure and place 20 ml of fish oil in a polystyrene cup, place the cup on a plate to avoid any mess, and observe the cup after 10 minutes. Due to their chemical composition, ethyl ester oils will actually dissolve the polystyrene cup. While this effect becomes evident after just a few minutes, significant leakage is seen after 10 minutes.
Ethyl ester oils dissolve polystyrene by dissolving the chemical bonds used to keep the polystyrene from collapsing. When these bonds are broken, the air trapped in the polystyrene escapes causing the structure to collapse.
Natural triglyceride fish oils placed in the same cup, on the other hand, will not show leakage after 10 minutes—but they may show leakage through the cup in very small amounts after 2-3 hours.https://www.ascentahealth.com/omega...ative-review-metabolism-absorption-stability/

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

maxadvance

Tricky bastards they are, because they fooled me. I'm currently using their fish oil, but I just put in an order for some Intelligent Labs Fish Oil. I learn something every day on these forums. I didn't know that Omega Via was an ethyl ester product.

Thanks for coming on here and educating us all.

Strange, their EPA only and DHA only are definitely in Triglyceride form. It's their pharma grade product with both that is in this Tri reduced form.

IntelligentLabs

I tend not to believe this as I have heard that the TG form has no odor.
Any truth to this?
Anyone doing well on Ethyl Ester?

Lol that's some reply! They are right in what they say about prescribed Omega 3 being ethyl ester, Lovaza and the others are ethyl ester.

They are also correct in saying that you can't purify triglycerides. All triglyceride fish oil is first converted into ethyl esters to purify it and then reconverted afterwards back into triglycerides. It's the reconversion most companies don't do, because it adds around 40% to costs, which is why most fish oils on the market are ethyl ester.

The rest is a little silly, I'm not sure who they had write it, but no company should be allowing their representatives to send messages like that.

The problem with triglycerides is when there are excess levels circulating in the blood. However, fat ingested in the diet is not often a cause of elevated blood triglycerides. After fats have been emulsified and hydrolyzed most fats (excluding short and medium chain fatty acids) actually enter the lymphatic system as chylomicrons then slowly enter the blood stream via the thoracic duct at the subclavian vein. Because this process is gradual it rarely raises blood fat levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacteal

And here's a good quote from Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism by Maria Linder (1991)

“The major portion of dietary fat (which has entered the lymphatic system) slowly enters into the bloodstream (as chylomicrons) through the thoracic duct, thus preventing large scale changes in the lipid content of peripheral blood”

Generally you tend to see higher circulating triglyceride levels in higher carb diets, because the excess carbs are readily converted into triglycerides and enter the blood stream much more quickly.

Last edited:

IntelligentLabs

Tricky bastards they are, because they fooled me. I'm currently using their fish oil, but I just put in an order for some Intelligent Labs Fish Oil. I learn something every day on these forums. I didn't know that Omega Via was an ethyl ester product.

Thanks for coming on here and educating us all.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes...

Vince

Super Moderator
Lol that's some reply! They are right in what they say about prescribed Omega 3 being ethyl ester, Lovaza and the others are ethyl ester.

They are also correct in saying that you can't purify triglycerides. All triglyceride fish oil is first converted into ethyl esters to purify it and then reconverted afterwards back into triglycerides. It's the reconversion most companies don't do, because it adds around 40% to costs, which is why most fish oils on the market are ethyl ester.

The rest is a little silly, I'm not sure who they had write it, but no company should be allowing their representatives to send messages like that.

The problem with triglycerides is when there are excess levels circulating in the blood. However, fat ingested in the diet is not often a cause of elevated blood triglycerides. After fats have been emulsified and hydrolyzed most fats (excluding short and medium chain fatty acids) actually enter the lymphatic system as chylomicrons then slowly enter the blood stream via the thoracic duct at the subclavian vein. Because this process is gradual it rarely raises blood fat levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacteal

And here's a good quote from Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism by Maria Linder (1991)

“The major portion of dietary fat (which has entered the lymphatic system) slowly enters into the bloodstream (as chylomicrons) through the thoracic duct, thus preventing large scale changes in the lipid content of peripheral blood”

Generally you tend to see higher circulating triglyceride levels in higher carb diets, because the excess carbs are readily converted into triglycerides and enter the blood stream much more quickly.

According to my Omega-3 Index results, I seem to absorb the ethyl ester form just fine. I wonder why?

Gianluca Bonetti

I believed that too after researching, so i decided to switch to Nordic Naturals, planning to get 3gr and I changed my mind because the price, I just made an order today with ZoneLabs, I have been using this fish oil for over 3 years I believe, what do you use Vince?

I switch to triglyceride form of fish oil, after researching, I believe it's best.

Gianluca Bonetti

based on my research TG is best absorbed over a small period of time, while a continuing administration of Ethyl Ester will give same omega 3 saturation of TG but in more time, so if you take FO same dose everyday forever I think it is ok

Vince

Super Moderator
I believed that too after researching, so i decided to switch to Nordic Naturals, planning to get 3gr and I changed my mind because the price, I just made an order today with ZoneLabs, I have been using this fish oil for over 3 years I believe, what do you use Vince?

I use Nordic Naturals liquid omega-3, I take 4 teaspoons daily.

Will Brink

What I don't like about life extension, you have to be a member to get discounts and all the advertising.

Few things, knowing the company as I do, I know their sourcing, QC, etc is first rate. When it comes to fish oils, that's very important and they always test well with third party companies. Two, most commercial fish oil products are approx 30% active lipids (EPA/DHA) where as LEF is closer to 60%, so you actually save $$ and take less caps to get dose you want. See also, my discussion choosing fish oil supps:

http://www.brinkzone.com/nutritional-science/getting-the-most-bang-for-your-buck-from-supplements/

Finally, they dropped the membership thing last year or, but i still found being a member was more than worth it.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me