Surviving Propecia

Buy Lab Tests Online
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
On April 11, 2012, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced changes to the professional labels for Propecia (finasteride 1 mg) and Proscar (finasteride 5 mg) to expand the list of sexual adverse events reported to FDA as some of these events have been reported to continue after the drug is no longer being used (note that erectile dysfunction after stopping use of these drugs was added as a known event in 2011). The new label changes include:
A revision to the Propecia label to include libido disorders, ejaculation disorders, and orgasm disorders that continued after discontinuation of the drug.
A revision to the Proscar label to include decreased libido that continued after discontinuation of the drug.
A revision to both the Propecia and Proscar labels to include a description of reports of male infertility and/or poor semen quality that normalized or improved after drug discontinuation.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Another good reason to avoid finasteride.

Chou CH, Lin CL, Lin MC, Sung FC, Kao CH.

5alpha-Reductase inhibitors increase acute coronary syndrome risk in patients with benign prostate hyperplasia. J Endocrinol Invest. 5α-Reductase inhibitors increase acute coronary syndrome risk in patients with benign prostate hyperplasia

BACKGROUND: This study explored the possible association between the use of two typical 5ARIs (finasteride and dutasteride) and the risk of acute coronary syndrome (ACS) in patients with benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH).

METHODS: From the claims data of the Taiwan National Health Insurance (NHI) Taiwan, we identified 1843 ACS cases among BPH patients and randomly selected 7330 controls without ACS, with a similar mean age of 73 years. Multivariate logistic regression analysis estimated the odds ratio (OR) and 95 % confidence interval (CI) for the relationship between the 5ARIs medications and ACS risk.

RESULTS: We found that BPH patients who had received treatment with both finasteride and dutasteride were at a higher risk of ACS with an OR of 3.47 (95 % CI 1.05-11.5), compared to patients without 5ARIs treatment. Furthermore, the dosage analysis showed that there were no significant associations between ACS risk and uses of a single drug medication regardless the dosages. The ORs for those who took only dutasteride were 1.07 (95 % CI 0.39-2.99) with low dose and 0.73 (95 % CI 0.38-1.44) with high dose. The ORs for those who took only finasteride were 1.30 (95 % CI 0.89-1.92) with low dose and 0.98 (95 % CI 0.19-5.13) with high dose.

CONCLUSION: This population-based nested case-control study suggests that 5ARI use may increase ACS risk among patients with BPH when patients were exposed to both finasteride and dutasteride.

pistolero

Lots of shit "can" kill you. Test at TRT dosages hasn't been proven to make any cancer, prostate or otherwise, more likely.

Giovanni73

Lots of shit "can" kill you. Test at TRT dosages hasn't been proven to make any cancer, prostate or otherwise, more likely.

Now, I will be honest... I have been on propecia for 6 days and I HAVE noticed a slight difficulty reaching an orgasm... Hmmm. Maybe I should throw this crap a way. I just figured it would help my prostate... My PSA was .6 before I started and after 6 weeks of 100 mgs of test... My PSA was .9... Still very low but that concerned me. Others on here have that is normal to rise... I am all concussed on this. This is why I started propecia.

CoastWatcher

Now, I will be honest... I have been on propecia for 6 days and I HAVE noticed a slight difficulty reaching an orgasm... Hmmm. Maybe I should throw this crap a way. I just figured it would help my prostate... My PSA was .6 before I started and after 6 weeks of 100 mgs of test... My PSA was .9... Still very low but that concerned me. Others on here have that is normal to rise... I am all concussed on this. This is why I started propecia.

It's a bad-news drug. You very well might avoid a problem, any problem, if you take it systemically, but it's a lottery and if you lose you can lose a great deal (erectile challenges, loss of sensation in the penis, loss of libido, fatigue). Your PSA is fine, and DHT is not the enemy too many men make it out to be.

Giovanni73

It's a bad-news drug. You very well might avoid a problem, any problem, if you take it systemically, but it's a lottery and if you lose you can lose a great deal (erectile challenges, loss of sensation in the penis, loss of libido, fatigue). Your PSA is fine, and DHT is not the enemy too many men make it out to be.

Thanks, man. I should listen to people. 6 days on that garbage and weak Erection and orgasm. I did not start TRT for this. Thanks to all my fellow TRT brothers.

DaveK22

Do you think I will be alright having taken it for 6 days?

I don't want to alarm you but it is possible you may have permanent damage. Some have claimed this after only a few days of using finasteride. It seems to be ok for some...yet devastating for the few unlucky. It's the Russian Roulette of drugs. Accutane can do almost the same thing.

read up here...
http://www.pfsfoundation.org/post-finasteride-syndrome-overview/

http://www.propeciahelp.com/overview

https://rxisk.org/accutane-30-years-of-trading-our-sex-lives-for-clear-skin/

Vitamin_C

I don't want to alarm you but it is possible you may have permanent damage. Some have claimed this after only a few days of using finasteride. It seems to be ok for some...yet devastating for the few unlucky. It's the Russian Roulette of drugs. Accutane can do almost the same thing.

read up here...
http://www.pfsfoundation.org/post-finasteride-syndrome-overview/

http://www.propeciahelp.com/overview

https://rxisk.org/accutane-30-years-of-trading-our-sex-lives-for-clear-skin/

I hate the word "permanent" in a negative connotation because the body has an absolute remarkable ability to heal itself as long as lifestyle allows. A lot of people have poor lifestyle choices and have dirty genes that need to be cleaned up, when they take certain drugs, these drugs can compound these issues. There is also a large nocebo effect at play here with accutane and Propecia. There was a study done on propecia where the placebo group reported more sexual side effects than the control group, and these guys were taking a PLACEBO. I wouldn't advocate for either drug, but I took accutane when I was 16 and I walked around with a hard on almost daily and I humped my high school girlfriends like a rabbit, my mood was also fantastic, I only received a dry face and chapped lips. But my lifestyle was good, I played multiple sports and worked out like a madman in the gym. I'm not denying these drugs can make certain genetically susceptible patients vulnerable to side effects, but new genetic data shows us that we do not HAVE to be defined by our genetic weaknesses and that diet and lifestyle play a HUGE part in all this. Combine this with a huge nocebo effect, this phenomenon is largely psychological . I have worked with THOUSANDS of psychiatric patients, I have never seen a case of accutane/propecia induced mood disorders accompanied by sexual dysfunction. Not saying it doesn't exist, its just incredibly rare.

BillyJ03z

I have been on TRT for over 10 yrs at 200mgs/wk CYP which I have found out is too much since I have low but in range SHBG.... My PSA has fluctated anywhere between .4 to .9........ My advice is get off of Propecia/finasteride ASAP... you will do potentially irreversible damage to your body/sex life, etc.... I took Saw Palmetto (basically a natural propecia) about 12 yrs ago as a preventive measure to protect my hair (im obsessed with keeping my hair, lol) and I suffered ED for several months and about a full year to recover physically and psychologically....

DaveK22

. Not saying it doesn't exist, its just incredibly rare.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. Check out the thousands of members on the propeciahelp forum. Check out the testimonials at the bottom of the Rxist article.

you raised some good points that I don't disagree with. But unfortunately when the FDA ignores the claims, doesn't include it on the isotretoin labels like some European countries do now, and only a short time ago added it to Propecia...many Doctor's tell their acne patients "sorry, your persistent ED is not listed as a side effect on the drug's label..." At least Propecia now has that FDA disclaimer after years of research studies (see propeciahelp site) that proved PFS is a real condition.

Also, how many teens are simply scared or embarrassed to tell their Dermo that "their "thing" isn't working right".

Last edited:

Vitamin_C

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. Check out the thousands of members on the propeciahelp forum. Check out the testimonials at the bottom of the Rxist article.

you raised some good points that I don't disagree with. But unfortunately when the FDA ignores the claims, doesn't include it on the isotretoin labels like some European countries do now, and only a short time ago added it to Propecia...many Doctor's tell their acne patients "sorry, your persistent ED is not listed as a side effect on the drug's label..." At least Propecia now has that FDA disclaimer after years of research studies (see propeciahelp site) that proved PFS is a real condition.

Also, how many teens are simply scared or embarrassed to tell their Dermo that "their "thing" isn't working right".

But it is rare, at least clinically, I have never seen it in practice. The guys who are on the propcecia/accutane forums are rare, I have never met a patient with PFS or accutane induced sexual dysfunction and I know many who have been on those medications. I know they are out there, but you have to realize these people are the minority and you simply can't rule out other factors. It seems people who are genetically predisposed to mood disorders should not take these drugs because it may exacerbate these conditions . I've studied the PFS phenomenon, I am more interested in recovery stories and those that have recovered from PFS made drastic changes in their lifestyle and prove that your body can heal itself if you put in the work. They also mentioned a huge mental component to this as well. When someone says "permanent and irreversible damage" I caution patients making those statements because all it does is perpetuate that the thoughts that you somehow can't recover . I talked to a guy who alpha tested Finasteride, he's been on it for decades and has never had any issues. He is ripped, has kids, and he eats clean and exercises (he is on TRT). The PFS forums are absolute toxic and I'd caution anyone who thinks they are experiencing side effects to go on those forums, just too doom and gloom.

Giovanni73

I hate the word "permanent" in a negative connotation because the body has an absolute remarkable ability to heal itself as long as lifestyle allows. A lot of people have poor lifestyle choices and have dirty genes that need to be cleaned up, when they take certain drugs, these drugs can compound these issues. There is also a large nocebo effect at play here with accutane and Propecia. There was a study done on propecia where the placebo group reported more sexual side effects than the control group, and these guys were taking a PLACEBO. I wouldn't advocate for either drug, but I took accutane when I was 16 and I walked around with a hard on almost daily and I humped my high school girlfriends like a rabbit, my mood was also fantastic, I only received a dry face and chapped lips. But my lifestyle was good, I played multiple sports and worked out like a madman in the gym. I'm not denying these drugs can make certain genetically susceptible patients vulnerable to side effects, but new genetic data shows us that we do not HAVE to be defined by our genetic weaknesses and that diet and lifestyle play a HUGE part in all this. Combine this with a huge nocebo effect, this phenomenon is largely psychological . I have worked with THOUSANDS of psychiatric patients, I have never seen a case of accutane/propecia induced mood disorders accompanied by sexual dysfunction. Not saying it doesn't exist, its just incredibly rare.

I do believe a lot of it is psychological with me, hearing all the horror stories... I have just started TRT and feel st this point I should dial in my TRT numbers on their own and not introduce another variable ( propecia) once my numbers are set, maybe then look into propecia.

nurselyfe

But it is rare, at least clinically, I have never seen it in practice. The guys who are on the propcecia/accutane forums are rare, I have never met a patient with PFS or accutane induced sexual dysfunction and I know many who have been on those medications. I know they are out there, but you have to realize these people are the minority and you simply can't rule out other factors. It seems people who are genetically predisposed to mood disorders should not take these drugs because it may exacerbate these conditions . I've studied the PFS phenomenon, I am more interested in recovery stories and those that have recovered from PFS made drastic changes in their lifestyle and prove that your body can heal itself if you put in the work. They also mentioned a huge mental component to this as well. When someone says "permanent and irreversible damage" I caution patients making those statements because all it does is perpetuate that the thoughts that you somehow can't recover . I talked to a guy who alpha tested Finasteride, he's been on it for decades and has never had any issues. He is ripped, has kids, and he eats clean and exercises (he is on TRT). The PFS forums are absolute toxic and I'd caution anyone who thinks they are experiencing side effects to go on those forums, just too doom and gloom.

I'd caution taking advice from this guy. While a lot of what he says is logical, he believes his experiences and his experiences only are dogma. He also thinks everything and anything is psychosomatic. I agree that adverse events from Finasteride are very rare (4%). But why take the chance. It looks like only very few people are susceptible.

I have also studied the PFS phenomenon as well. I do not think you have enough. It looks like Propecia has the potential to cause hypogonadism as evidenced by decreased T and gonadotropins which can be resolved with time and healthy life style and or hormonal therapy. In even a lesser amount of patients, propecia totally disrupts the endocrine system and the way that androgens works. This is evidenced by men trying TRT with good doctors (Crisler, Shippens) and having worsening of symptoms (penile shinkage, libido, etc). I am in close contact with a guy who's T has naturally doubled since he got off of Propecia and has no libido, is impotent, no energy, increased hair loss, dry skin, a burning prostate and shrunken genitals.

IF you want to use propecia, go ahead. The numbers are small. My best two buddies love Propecia. I have many friends who took Accutane and only got dry skin. But understand there can be serious adverse effects, some permanent. We simply do not know why yet.

Giovanni73

I have been on Propecia for 12 days. I notice weak erections, and difficulty reaching an orgasm. It could be in my mind, from all these Propecia horror stories. Not sure. I also don't want all my hair falling out while on TRT. I mean, if I can keep my hair and get better on TRT, well that would be a score. Not sure. I mean, my penis feels numb during sex. I will wait and see, but I don't want to be on TRT with a numb penis and weak orgasm. That would defeat the whole purpose. I keep telling myself to give Propecia a little more time. Stopping DHT from shredding my scalp and prostate seems like a good thing to prevent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale