Boron for bone density

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
[h=2]What is it?[/b]

Boron is a mineral that is found in food and the environment. People take boron supplements as medicine.

Boron is used for building strong bones, treating osteoarthritis, as an aid for building muscles and increasing testosterone levels, and for improving thinking skills and muscle coordination.

Women sometimes use capsules containing boric acid, the most common form of boron, inside the vagina to treat yeast infections.

People also apply boric acid to the skin as an astringent or to prevent infection; or use it as an eye wash.

Boron was used as a food preservative between 1870 and 1920, and during World Wars I and II.

[h=2]How effective is it?[/b]

Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.

The effectiveness ratings for BORON are as follows:
[h=3]Likely effective for...[/b]Boron deficiency. Taking boron by mouth prevents boron deficiency.
[h=3]Possibly effective for...[/b]Vaginal infections. Some research shows that boric acid, used inside the vagina, can successfully treat yeast infections (candidiasis), including infections that do not seem to resolve with other treatments. However, the quality of this research is in question.
[h=3]Possibly ineffective for...[/b]Athletic performance. Taking boron by mouth does not seem to improve body mass, muscle mass, or testosterone levels in male bodybuilders.
[h=3]Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness for...[/b]Improving thinking and coordination in older people. There is some early evidence that taking boron by mouth might improve cognitive function and the ability to coordinate small muscle movements (fine motor skills) in older people.
Osteoarthritis. Developing research suggests that boron might be useful for decreasing symptoms of osteoarthritis.
Osteoporosis. Early research suggests that taking boron by mouth daily does not improve bone mass density in postmenopausal women.
Increasing testosterone.
Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of boron for these uses.

[h=2]How does it work?[/b]

Boron seems to affect the way the body handles other minerals such as magnesium and phosphorus. It also seems to increase estrogen levels in older (post-menopausal) women and healthy men. Estrogen is thought to be helpful in maintaining healthy bones and mental function. Boric acid, a common form of boron, can kill yeast that cause vaginal infections.

[h=2]Are there safety concerns?[/b]

Boron is LIKELY SAFE for adults and children when used in doses less than the Upper Tolerable Limit (UL) (see dosage section below). There is some concern that doses over 20 mg per day, the UL for adults, might harm a man’s ability to father a child.

Boric acid, a common form of boron, is LIKELY SAFE when used vaginally for up to six months. It can cause a sensation of vaginal burning.

Boron is POSSIBLY UNSAFE for adults and children when taken by mouth in high doses. Large quantities of boron can cause poisoning. Signs of poisoning include skin inflammation and peeling, irritability, tremors, convulsions, weakness, headaches, depression, diarrhea, vomiting, and other symptoms.

Also, boric acid powder, a common form of boron, is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when applied in large amounts to prevent diaper rash.

[h=4]Special precautions & warnings:[/b]Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Boron is LIKELY SAFE for pregnant and breast-feeding women age 19-50 when used in doses less that 20 mg per day. Pregnant and breast-feeding women age 14 to 18 should not take more than 17 mg per day. Taking boron by mouth in high doses isPOSSIBLY UNSAFE while pregnant and breast feeding. Higher amounts may be harmful and should not be used by pregnant women because it has been linked to birth defects. Intravaginal boric acid has been associated with a 2.7- to 2.8-fold increased risk of birth defects when used during the first 4 months of pregnancy.

Hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Boron might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, avoid supplemental boron or high amounts of boron from foods.

Kidney disease or problems with kidney function: Do not take boron supplements if you have kidney problems. The kidneys have to work hard to flush out boron.

[h=2]Are there interactions with medications?[/b]

ModerateBe cautious with this combination.EstrogensBoron might increase estrogen levels in the body. Taking boron along with estrogens might cause too much estrogen in the body.

[h=2]Are there interactions with herbs and supplements?[/b]

MagnesiumBoron supplements can lower the amount of magnesium that is flushed out in the urine. This can lead to blood levels of magnesium that are higher than usual. Among older women, this seems to happen more often in women who do not get much magnesium in their diet. Among younger women, the effect appears to be greater in women who exercise less. No one knows how important this finding is to health, or whether it happens in men.PhosphorusSupplemental boron might reduce blood phosphorus levels in some people.

[h=2]Are there interactions with foods?[/b]

There are no known interactions with foods.

[h=2]What dose is used?[/b]

The following doses have been studied in scientific research:

BY MOUTH:There is no Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for boron since an essential biological role for it has not been identified. People consume varying amounts of boron depending on their diet. Diets considered to be high in boron provide approximately 3.25 mg of boron per 2000 kcal per day. Diets considered to be low in boron provide 0.25 mg of boron per 2000 kcal per day.

The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL), the maximum dose at which no harmful effects would be expected, is 20 mg per day for adults and pregnant or breast-feeding women over 19 years of age. For adolescents 14 to 18 years of age and pregnant or breast-feeding women 14 to 18 years of age, the UL is 17 mg per day. For children 9 to 13 years old, the UL is 11 mg per day; children 4 to 8 years old, 6 mg per day; and children 1 to 3 years old, 3 mg per day. A UL has not been established for infants.
VAGINALLY:For vaginal infections: 600 mg of boric acid powder once or twice a day.
For prevention of recurring Candida (yeast) infections: 600 mg twice weekly.

[h=2]Other names[/b]

Acide Borique, Anhydride Borique, Atomic number 5, B (chemical symbol), B (symbole chimique), Borate, Borate de Sodium, Borates, Bore, Boric Acid, Boric Anhydride, Boric Tartrate, Boro, Numéro Atomique 5, Sodium Borate.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I'm going to try supplementing with boron, to see if it makes me feel any different. I'm also going to use for my bone health. This the type I'm going to try. Trace Minerals Liquid Ionic Boron, 6mg, 2 oz "from Trace Minerals" Research

Vince

Super Moderator
My new primary doctor I saw Tuesday, told me doctors in Europe prescribe boron for osteoporosis prevention.

Last edited:

CoastWatcher

My new primary doctor I saw Tuesday, told me doctors in Europe prescribe boron for osteoporosis prevention.

Vince, I'd heard that, but as an internet rumour. Your doctor's comment is the first I've had it confirmed by someone who should know. You'll let us know?

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince, I'd heard that, but as an internet rumour. Your doctor's comment is the first I've had it confirmed by someone who should know. You'll let us know?

She received her medical degree from the Medical University of Lodz in Poland. She completed her three-year residency at Easton Hospital in Easton, PA.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me