Does time really tell with TRT blood work? (experience wanted)

Buy Lab Tests Online

Ty1on73

Question for the ole timers, those who have been on TRT for one plus (1+) years or who seem to have their numbers in check.

I have been pondering the question of when to have blood drawn for testing and pros and cons for getting my levels where they need to be. Specifically, my doctor told me that he prefers that I get my blood drawn as soon as I can in the morning. This is due to Testosterone levels being higher in the morning and dropping, perhaps significantly, in the afternoon.

My logic, and my question, is that this seems reasonable when taking your blood in the morning for testing pre-TRT but if I am trying to get my levels at the high end of the range, shouldn’t my doctor want to know what my levels are after the morning spike? It seems that these numbers would be the best to go off of for prescribing the Rx amount so that there is sufficient T in the system at all times during the day.

I like to hear how others have established their levels (am or pm testing) and if it is known what the amount of level loss throughout a day. I realize these may change person to person but if it is significant across the board I don’t see how having a Total T level at 643 (my last) in the morning is beneficial if it is possibly ranging from 300-400 in the afternoon and evening.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

PAUL-E

If your on TRT it no longer works like that because your natural production is shut down so to speak. Most DR's check levels on your troft day right before your next injection and that would be roughly your lowest level. Also some ADHD/ADD meds lower natural testosterone production levels

Ty1on73

Good point! Natural production is highest in the morning. Sometimes I think but nothing happens. I guess my doctor threw me off when he asked me again to get the blood drawn in the morning. I wonder if his request has anything to do with the other tests he has bundled together. I'll save that question for the next time I see him. Thanks.

I no longer take the ADHD meds been a year or so now that I've been of them.

PAUL-E

It's ok, congratulations on getting off the ADHD meds. I would encourage you to read the stickys and become better educated so you can make more informed decisions with your treatment. I always say the more you know the better off you are.

ERO

The morning blood draw is for guys that are NOT on TRT because natural levels are higher in the morning. For guys on TRT that no longer applies, and you generally want to draw the day you inject, but before you inject. For example, if you inject Monday AM and Thursday PM, draw blood Thursday before you inject.

Helboi

In my mind you want to compare apples to apples, so for instance if you had your pre-TRT testing done in the AM, I'd try to always have it done in the AM if possible.

FrankUnderwood

just get your draws done right before your next scheduled injection. so if you inject monday morning/thursday evening, get them done monday A.M. to get a good handle on your trough.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
just get your draws done right before your next scheduled injection. so if you inject monday morning/thursday evening, get them done monday A.M. to get a good handle on your trough.

That's the way I do it too!

Paul E and ERO are also correct .. You're not dealing with the rhythmic cycle of endogenous production.

Vince

Super Moderator
If your Total T level is 643, you should not be considering trt. If you're not feeling right it's probably being caused by something else.

Vince

Super Moderator
I've been on TRT for 6 months. T level was 281
Sorry, as you probably know. I thought your were considering trt. My testosterone levels are much higher.
Total Testosterone, Serum 1042 ng/dL 348 - 1197
Free Testosterone(Direct) 23.0 High pg/mL 6.6 - 18.1
DHEA-Sulfate 305.4 ug/dL 48.9 - 344.2
Estradiol, Sensitive 28.2 pg/mL 8.0 - 35.0
I'm injecting 90 mg of T and 500 iu of HCG every 3 1/2 days also taking 25 mg of dhea every morning

Read more at: https://www.excelmale.com/forum/showthread.php?6502-My-latest-testosterone-panel-from-3-21-16

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching