DHEA Supplementation

Buy Lab Tests Online

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
DHEA Supplementation
Dehydroepiandrosterone: DHEA
As presented by Dr. Neal Rouzier, M.D.

Here's a great reason to add DHEA to your protocol.

DHEA is a hormone secreted primarily by the adrenal glands. It results in a shift of a catabolic state to an anabolic or protein building state.

· It reduces cardiovascular risks by increasing lipolyses (decrease visceral fat).
· It stimulates the immune system, restores sexual vitality, improves moods, decreases
cholesterol and body fat.
· It improves memory, increases energy, and has anti-cancer properties by enhancing the
immune system.
· It is an endocrine precursor to other hormones, prevents immuno-senescence, loss of sleep,
osteoporosis, atherosclerosis.
· DHEA reduces insulin requirement
· Adrenal hormone anabolic vs. catabolic metabolism
· Restores immunity
· Prevents osteoporosis, increases bone density
· Prevents cancer in lab animals
· Prevents diabetes & heart disease
· Decreases visceral fat
· Improves mood & well-being
· Improves energy & memory
· Slows aging process in lab animals
· Prevents lipid peroxidation = antioxidant
· Endocrine precursor to T.P.E.
· 7-keto DHEA is not a precursor to other HRT = avoid
· Neurotransmitter (recently discovered)
· Presently pending FDA approval for Lupus (Prasterone)

dhea supplementation in men.png

Clinically substantiated uses of DHEA include replacement for:
· Low DHEA levels
· Chronic disease
· Adrenal exhaustion or corticosteroid therapy
· SLE
· Improving bone density
· Improving depression & mood disorders
· Enhancing immune response by activating T-cells
· Improving well-being
· Decreasing cardiovascular risk
· Improving erectile dysfunction
· Anyone over 40
· DHEA has never been shown to reverse the aging process
· Nevertheless DHEA is important for preventive medicine
· DHEA inhibits synthesis of thromboxane A2, reduces plasminogen activator inhibitor, and
tissue plasminogen activator – all decreasing platelet aggregation and ischemia.

Administration:
Men<200lb: 50mg AM
Men>200lb: 75-100mg AM
Women <50yo: 10-15mg AM
Women >50yo: 25mg AM

IMPORTANT:
DHEA Serum Levels
MEN
· Range 100-600
· Optimal 500-600
WOMEN
· Range 50-300
· Optimal 200-250
Higher levels in women predispose them to side effects – therefore stay low.
· Monitor monthly until optimal
· Assure correct dose and compliance
· Measure DHEA-S and not DHEA
· Side effects: acne, hirsutism
· Tx: Lower dose or take QOD Spironolactone 100 mg/day
· Contraindicated in sex hormone responsive tumors – breast, ovarian, uterine, prostate
· Conversion to T.P.E.?
· DHEA raises testosterone levels in women slightly, yet not in men
· DHEA raises estradiol slightly in men
Indications:
· Over age 40 for health protection
· Preventive medicine and well-being
· Symptoms of aging, mood & depression
· Cause the medical literature suggests it if we want to live longer, happier, healthier

Note from Nelson Vergel:

I am not convinced that DHEA has that many benefits unless you supplement due to low levels. The ratio of cortisol to DHEA is really what matters since each of those hormones are produced by the adrenal glands to balance each other.

I expand here:

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

maxadvance

DHEA Supplementation
Dehydroepiandrosterone: DHEA
As presented by Dr. Neal Rouzier, M.D.

Here's a great reason to add DHEA to your protocol.

DHEA is a hormone secreted primarily by the adrenal glands. It results in a shift of a catabolic state to an anabolic or protein building state.

· It reduces cardiovascular risks by increasing lipolyses (decrease visceral fat).
· It stimulates the immune system, restores sexual vitality, improves moods, decreases
cholesterol and body fat.
· It improves memory, increases energy, and has anti-cancer properties by enhancing the
immune system.
· It is an endocrine precursor to other hormones, prevents immuno-senescence, loss of sleep,
osteoporosis, atherosclerosis.
· DHEA reduces insulin requirement
· Adrenal hormone anabolic vs. catabolic metabolism
· Restores immunity
· Prevents osteoporosis, increases bone density
· Prevents cancer in lab animals
· Prevents diabetes & heart disease
· Decreases visceral fat
· Improves mood & well-being
· Improves energy & memory
· Slows aging process in lab animals
· Prevents lipid peroxidation = antioxidant
· Endocrine precursor to T.P.E.
· 7-keto DHEA is not a precursor to other HRT = avoid
· Neurotransmitter (recently discovered)
· Presently pending FDA approval for Lupus (Prasterone)

Clinically substantiated uses of DHEA include replacement for:
· Low DHEA levels
· Chronic disease
· Adrenal exhaustion or corticosteroid therapy
· SLE
· Improving bone density
· Improving depression & mood disorders
· Enhancing immune response by activating T-cells
· Improving well-being
· Decreasing cardiovascular risk
· Improving erectile dysfunction
· Anyone over 40
· DHEA has never been shown to reverse the aging process
· Nevertheless DHEA is important for preventive medicine
· DHEA inhibits synthesis of thromboxane A2, reduces plasminogen activator inhibitor, and
tissue plasminogen activator – all decreasing platelet aggregation and ischemia.

Administration:
Men<200lb: 50mg AM
Men>200lb: 75-100mg AM
Women <50yo: 10-15mg AM
Women >50yo: 25mg AM

IMPORTANT:
DHEA Serum Levels
MEN
· Range 100-600
· Optimal 500-600
WOMEN
· Range 50-300
· Optimal 200-250
Higher levels in women predispose them to side effects – therefore stay low.
· Monitor monthly until optimal
· Assure correct dose and compliance
· Measure DHEA-S and not DHEA
· Side effects: acne, hirsutism
· Tx: Lower dose or take QOD Spironolactone 100 mg/day
· Contraindicated in sex hormone responsive tumors – breast, ovarian, uterine, prostate
· Conversion to T.P.E.?
· DHEA raises testosterone levels in women slightly, yet not in men
· DHEA raises estradiol slightly in men
Indications:
· Over age 40 for health protection
· Preventive medicine and well-being
· Symptoms of aging, mood & depression
· Cause the medical literature suggests it if we want to live longer, happier, healthier

So it says to avoid keto-7? For not being a precursor to HRT? Not sure I get that

maxadvance

It's a metabolite of DHEA and is totally different and not the same thing.

Well aware of that, but has a host of unique benefits. I've seen the 2 are recommended to be taken together. I just don't understand the context of the statement. It's posted under DHEA benefits, but implies that it's identified incorrectly as a precursor to HRT. As it's written it makes little sense.

ERO

For me any brand works just fine - just to go Amazon.com (or a local store) and grab a bottle. Micronized is supposed to absorb better, but I have never had any issues with any brand. I have had good results with this brand over the last few months.

covino33

I use defy and it was recommended to use dhea with another supplement to be compounded...my dhea levels were on the lower end...is this a safe supplement for every day long term use or is it just used for short term usage?

ERO

I use defy and it was recommended to use dhea with another supplement to be compounded...my dhea levels were on the lower end...is this a safe supplement for every day long term use or is it just used for short term usage?

Everybody's DHEA levels drop with age so supplementing long-term to maintain a youthful DHEA level is ideal for TRT and overall anti-aging.

Thanks for this Gene, I just looked at my last blood report, and my DHEA-Sulfate level was 179.

Are we saying that number should rise to more like 500-600? I noticed the lap lists 375 as the high level but you say 500-600 is much better. In any case it seems like supplementing is the way to go assuming that test is the one you say would be better at 500-600.

Midlifealpha,

The important aspect of Rouzier's recommendation is that it is the high end of the range he is referencing. I believe that is the message - go for high normal.

ERO

Yes, much like what you want with your T levels in TRT, DHEA ideally should be in the high normal range instead of just anywhere in range.

Similar to if your Total T was at, say 350 - you are in the normal range - but how do you feel at that level?

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Thanks for this Gene, I just looked at my last blood report, and my DHEA-Sulfate level was 179.

Are we saying that number should rise to more like 500-600? I noticed the lap lists 375 as the high level but you say 500-600 is much better. In any case it seems like supplementing is the way to go assuming that test is the one you say would be better at 500-600.

DHEA, like Pregnenelone, are best at the top of the reference range.

Nutpuncher,

The problem with combining is that while micronized DHEA is readily adsorbed in the gut, Pregnenolone is not. Some have success with expensive Pregenolone matrix formulations but sublingual (under the tongue, not swallowed) is very effective and far less costly.

Nutpuncher

This looks decent although I have not used this exact formula myself. Depending upon your starting levels of DHEA you may need 2 of these per day.

Thank you. I've never gotten bloodwork to measure if I am deficient or not and my TRT doc has never had a conversation regarding supplementing DHEA & Pregnenelone. The cost of the product that you pointed out is fairly cheap so I think I might give it a try even though I have no idea if I am deficient not. If I am deficient, how long do you think it will take for me to notice benefits?

CoastWatcher

Thank you. I've never gotten bloodwork to measure if I am deficient or not and my TRT doc has never had a conversation regarding supplementing DHEA & Pregnenelone. The cost of the product that you pointed out is fairly cheap so I think I might give it a try even though I have no idea if I am deficient not. If I am deficient, how long do you think it will take for me to notice benefits?

Both tests available at DHEA-Sulfate

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching