DHT Gel Effectively Treats Gynecomastia in HIV + Men

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Successful Percutaneous Dihydrotestosterone Treatment of Gynecomastia Occurring during Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy: Four Cases and a Review of the Literature

andractin dht gel gynecomastia.jpg

Abstract

Fourteen cases of gynecomastia occurring during highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) have been reported in the literature. To date, no specific therapeutic approach has been proposed, and gynecomastia has usually persisted. We report 4 new cases of HAART-induced gynecomastia that were successfully treated with percutaneous dihydrotestosterone gel.

Fourteen cases of gynecomastia (GM) and 2 cases of breast hypertrophy in women [7, 8] occurring during highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) have been reported in the literature. For only 4 patients did GM resolve at some unspecified time or at 1, 5, or 7 months after changing the HAART regimen (table 1). For the 12 remaining patients, both men and women, breast hypertrophy persisted for many months and may have been responsible for one suicide [2].

hiv gyno dht gel.jpg

Gynecomastia (GM) in HIV-infected men receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART).
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT; Andractim [Besins-Iscovesco]) is a natural metabolite of testosterone that has antiestrogen activity and cannot be converted into estradiol at the tissue level. Systemic [9] or locally [10] administered DHT has been successfully prescribed for the treatment of patients with idiopathic and estrogen-induced GM. We report 4 new cases of GM occurring during HAART for which percutaneous DHT (androstanolone) gel application led to dramatic regression of breast enlargement.

Patient 1. A 42-year-old man had HIV infection diagnosed in 1986. In May 1996, therapy with stavudine (30 mg b.i.d.), lamivudine (150 mg b.i.d.), and ritonavir (600 mg b.i.d.) was begun. Because of digestive intolerance, the regimen was modified in March 1997 to stavudine (30 mg b.i.d.), didanosine (300 mg/day), ritonavir (100 mg b.i.d.), and saquinavir (400 mg b.i.d.). He developed lipodystrophy (defined as an abnormal fat distribution, either accumulation or loss, as specified in each case), particularly loss of fat from the arms and abdominal fat accumulation. In October 1998, the patient developed right side GM, which was confirmed by mammography and ultrasonography. Analysis of needle-puncture biopsy specimens showed normal ductal tissue. His CD4+ cell count was 411 cells/mm3 and his HIV load was <200 copies/mL. Prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, estradiol, &#916;4-androstenedione, and total testosterone levels were within normal ranges. In December 1998, he began local application of DHT gel to the breast (5 g of DHT per day). Within 10 days, GM disappeared, and he stopped DHT therapy 20 days later. In April 2000, he developed GM of the contralateral breast but declined treatment.

Patient 2. A 38-year-old man had HIV infection diagnosed in 1994. In August 1997, therapy with stavudine (40 mg b.i.d.), didanosine (400 mg/d), and ritonavir (600 mg b.i.d.) was begun. In October 1998, he developed bilateral GM. No lipodystrophy was observed. His CD4+ cell count was 887 cells/mm3 and his HIV load was <200 copies/mL. Prolactin, &#916;4-androstenedione, and total testosterone levels were within normal ranges. In January 1999, he began local application of DHT gel to his breasts. Within 15 days, GM disappeared. He stopped DHT therapy 15 days later and has had no relapse to date.

Patient 3. A 42-year-old man had HIV infection diagnosed in 1987. In December 1994, he started therapy with zidovudine (250 mg b.i.d.), lamivudine (150 mg b.i.d.), and trimethoprimsulfamethoxazole (80 mg-400 mg/day). In March 1996, the regimen was changed to stavudine (40 mg b.i.d.), lamivudine, and ritonavir (600 mg b.i.d.). In July 1997, he developed disseminated tuberculosis, which was treated for 12 months with regimens based on isoniazid and rifabutin, plus pyrazinamide and ethambutol during the first 3 months. In October 1997, he began therapy with abacavir (300 mg b.i.d.), nelfinavir (750 mg t.i.d.), saquinavir (600 mg t.i.d.), and lamivudine (150 mg b.i.d.) until May 1998, when therapy with abacavir (300 mg b.i.d.), stavudine (40 mg b.i.d.), and didanosine (400 mg/day), lamivudine (150 mg b.i.d.) and ritonavir (100 mg b.i.d.), indinavir (400 mg b.i.d.), nelfinavir (750 mg t.i.d.) and efavirenz (600 mg/day) was begun. In May 2000, the patient presented with painful right-side GM, which was confirmed by mammography and ultrasonography. He developed minor lipodystrophy (loss of fat of the arms and accumulation of fat in the abdominal region). His CD4+ cell count was 631 cells/mm3 and his HIV load was <200 copies/mL. Prolactin, &#916;4-androstenedione, and total testosterone levels were within normal ranges. He started local application of DHT gel to the breast. Within 21 days, pain disappeared and GM slightly regressed. He stopped the treatment 60 days later with the persistence of indolent attenuated GM.
Patient 4. A 43-year-old man had HIV infection diagnosed in 1988. In December 1994, he started receiving therapy with zidovudine (250 mg b.i.d.), didanosine (400 mg/d), and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (80 mg&#8211;400 mg/day). In August 1996, the patient received zidovudine (250 mg b.i.d.), lamivudine (150 mg b.i.d.), and indinavir (800 mg t.i.d.) that was switched to nelfinavir (750 mg t.i.d.) in June 1997 because of crystalluria. In December 1997, he started therapy with stavudine (30 mg b.i.d.), ritonavir (100 mg b.i.d.), saquinavir (400 mg b.i.d.), and nevirapine (200 mg b.i.d.). In June 2000, the patient developed painful bilateral GM. No lipodystrophy was observed. His CD4+ cell count was 440 cells/mm3 and his HIV load was <200 copies/mL. Prolactin, &#916;4-androstenedione, and total testosterone levels were within normal ranges. In July 2000, he started local application of DHT gel to the breasts. Within 10 days, pain disappeared and GM regressed. GM finally disappeared after 30 days. He stopped the treatment 30 days later and has had no relapse to date.

Discussion. Two mechanisms might explain the occurrence of breast enlargement among patients who are receiving HAART: (1) pseudo-GM, in which the enlargement is due to an increase of adipose tissue, and (2) real GM with glandular hypertrophy. Fat accumulation is a well-known phenomenon for patients receiving HAART that includes a protease inhibitor. Stavudine has also been reported to induce GM [6], but it is better known to cause fat atrophy [11]. Eight of the 18 men (table 1) had lipodystrophy with mostly fat accumulation, but true GM with glandular structures was confirmed by mammography, ultrasonography, or both for 8 of the 18 men (table 1). These findings prompted us to think that breast enlargement would be due to drugs having a mammotropic action, rather than to fat accumulation in the breasts. On the basis of our analysis of both the literature and our patients (table 1), no particular class of molecule included in HAART seems to be a particularly good candidate to explain this effect.

The mammotropic action of drugs can be divided into 2 main known types: those that mimic estrogen or progesterone at peripheral receptor sites (e.g., digitalis or spironolactone) and those that increase secretion of prolactin (e.g., phenothiazine derivatives or tricyclic antidepressants). The latter drugs cause breast hypertrophy in men and women in equal proportions, and in women, they also induce galactorrhea and amenorrhea. The 2 women [6, 7] exhibited neither these symptoms nor high prolactin levels, as did 13 of the 18 men (table 1). For the remaining 2 men with abnormally high prolactin levels, GM might have been caused by the neuroleptic therapy they received concomitantly (table 1).

More likely, the mechanism involved for HAART would be the mimicking of the effect of estrogen on breast tissue. In fact, drugs that use this mechanism fairly frequently cause GM in men, as for HAART. However, women rarely note or complain of breast enlargement, especially because none of these agents has ever been reported to induce lactation. Furthermore, the dramatic effect of DHT gel, which has an antiestrogen effect, reinforces this last hypothesis.
This hypothesis should be tested on a larger cohort of patients (e.g., in a controlled clinical trial); however, from a practical point of view, when such GM is observed in patients who are receiving HAART and when a careful search has been done to detect predisposing causes that should be specifically treated, rapid, beneficial symptomatic response can be obtained with local application of DHT gel, 5 g/day given once daily for 1&#8211;3 months. This simple treatment seems to be particularly well tolerated: no side effects have been reported in the literature [10] or were observed among the patients who we studied. Nevertheless, the anecdotal nature of the effect of DHT presented here prompts us to think that other systemic androgenic therapies (e.g., testosterone gel) might have the same effect.

References

Peyriere H, Mauboussin JM, Rouanet I, et al . Report of gynecomastia in five male patients during antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection. AIDS 1999;13:2167-9. CrossRefMedlineWeb of ScienceGoogle Scholar
Donovan B, Bodsworth NJ, Mulhall BP, et al . Gynaecomastia associated with saquinavir therapy. Int J STD AIDS 1999;10:49-50. Abstract/FREE Full Text
Caeiro JP, Visnegarwala F, Rodriguez-Barradas MC . Gynecomastia associated with indinavir therapy. Clin Infect Dis 1998;27:1539-40. FREE Full Text
Schurmann D, Bergmann F, Ehrenstein T, et al . Gynaecomastia in a male patient during protease inhibitor treatment for acute HIV disease. AIDS 1998;12:2232-3. MedlineWeb of ScienceGoogle Scholar
Toma E, Therrien R . Gynecomastia during indinavir antiretroviral therapy in HIV infection. AIDS 1998;12:681-2. MedlineWeb of ScienceGoogle Scholar
Melbourne KM, Brown SL, Silverblatt FJ . Gynecomastia with stavudine treatment in an HIV-positive patient. Ann Pharmacother 1998;32:1108. FREE Full Text
Herry I, Bernard L, Truchis P, et al . Hypertrophy of the breasts in a patient treated with indinavir. Clin Infect Dis 1997;25:937-8. FREE Full Text
Lui A, Karter D, Turett G . Another case of breast hypertrophy in a patient treated with indinavir. Clin Infect Dis 1998;26:1482. FREE Full Text
Eberle AJ, Sparrow JT, Keenan BS . Treatment of persistent pubertal gynecomastia with dihydrotestosterone heptanoate. J Pediatr 1986;109:144-9. CrossRefMedlineWeb of ScienceGoogle Scholar
Kuhn JM, Roca R, Laudat MH, et al . Studies on the treatment of idiopathic gynaecomastia with percutaneous dihydrotestosterone. Clin Endocrinol (Oxford) 1983;19:513-20. MedlineGoogle Scholar
Saint-Marc T, Partisani M, Poizot-Martin I, et al . Fat distribution evaluated by computed tomography and metabolic abnormalities in patients undergoing antiretroviral therapy: preliminary results of the LIPOCO study. AIDS 2000;14:37-49. CrossRefMedlineWeb of ScienceGoogle Scholar

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Re-Ride

Big pharma continues to downplay the horrendous side effects of ARVs. Metro cars everywhere in SF are plastered with 30 somethings in the picture of perfect heath climbing mountains. True lives have been turned around yet unless these men have access to the hormones, supplements and a reliable knowledge base such as you've provided here Nelson they will never realize their true potential or freedom from quality of life issues. No mega profits= no message, no access, no medicine from corporate America.

The resistance to HRT, the "war on steroids" affects everyone. It's easy to understand how those who are faced with chronic issues like HIV have far greater hurdles. There seems to be more behind this "war" and the people running it than meets the eye.

I hope the people who need this DHT topical can get. Thanks for the great post!

Whoops... Micr$oft again trying to push through a forced "upgrade" to WinSpy 10.

HarryCat

Big pharma continues to downplay the horrendous side effects of ARVs. Metro cars everywhere in SF are plastered with 30 somethings in the picture of perfect heath climbing mountains. True lives have been turned around yet unless these men have access to the hormones, supplements and a reliable knowledge base such as you've provided here Nelson they will never realize their true potential or freedom from quality of life issues. No mega profits= no message, no access, no medicine from corporate America.

The resistance to HRT, the "war on steroids" affects everyone. It's easy to understand how those who are faced with chronic issues like HIV have far greater hurdles. There seems to be more behind this "war" and the people running it than meets the eye.

I hope the people who need this DHT topical can get. Thanks for the great post!

Sadly this happens with cancer patients too.

As long as they prolong life, big medicine feels they have done their job, doesn't matter if the quality of that life is awful.

In a patient with gynecomastia I would first check baseline serum prolactin and estradiol (E2), and then consider the use of prescription tamoxifen at 50 mg/d, and/or additional use of a prolactin inhibitor like cabergoline in an attenuated dose like 0.25 mg two to three times a week. This should work in the vast majority of men with gynecomastia. I am not sure why DHT would work to &#8595; gynecomastia. See below from Wikipedia.

Unlike other androgens such as testosterone, DHT cannot be converted by the enzyme aromatase into an estrogen like estradiol. Therefore, it is frequently used in research settings to distinguish between the effects of testosterone caused by binding to the AR and those caused by testosterone's conversion to estradiol and subsequent binding to and activation of ERs.[50] Although DHT cannot be aromatized, it is still transformed into metabolites with significant ER affinity and activity.[16] These are 3&#945;-androstanediol and 3&#946;-androstanediol, which are predominant agonists of the ER&#946;.[16]

I know this is an older post Nelson, but i wanted to know if Andractim just increases DHT solely purely and not Testosterone as i don't want 2 go off the charts as i am already on Injections 65mg twice a week.

I know this is an older post Nelson, but i wanted to know if Andractim just increases DHT solely purely and not Testosterone as i don't want 2 go off the charts as i am already on Injections 65mg twice a week.

My purpose to take it or any DHT Transdermal for that matter is to purely increase DHT nothing else.

does DHT cream Andractim only boost DHT right? not Testosterone, as i don't want to SkyRocket it over too much. I am on already on injections twice weekly in Delts for 65mg each shot.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
does DHT cream Andractim only boost DHT right? not Testosterone, as i don't want to SkyRocket it over too much. I am on already on injections twice weekly in Delts for 65mg each shot.
As I said, it is no longer available. Do you have some?

DHT gel actually shuts down testosterone and estradiol at the same time.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Send to

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Apr;87(4):1467-72.
The effects of transdermal dihydrotestosterone in the aging male: a prospective, randomized, double blind study.

Abstract
The objective of the study was to investigate the effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) gel on general well-being, sexual function, and the prostate in aging men. A total of 120 men participated in this randomized, placebo-controlled study (60 DHT and 60 placebo). All subjects had nocturnal penile tumescence once per week or less, andropause symptoms, and a serum T level of 15 nmol/liter or less and/or a serum SHBG level greater than 30 nmol/liter. The mean age was 58 yr (range, 50-70 yr). Of these subjects, 114 men completed the study. DHT was administered transdermally for 6 months, and the dose varied from 125-250 mg/d. General well-being symptoms and sexual function were evaluated using a questionnaire, and prostate symptoms were evaluated using the International Prostate Symptoms Score, transrectal ultrasonography, and assay of serum prostate-specific antigen. Early morning erections improved transiently in the DHT group at 3 months of treatment (P < 0.003), and the ability to maintain erection improved in the DHT group compared with the placebo group (P < 0.04). No significant changes were observed in general well-being between the placebo and the DHT group. Serum concentrations of LH, FSH, E2, T, and SHBG decreased significantly during DHT treatment. Treatment with DHT did not affect liver function or the lipid profile. Hemoglobin concentrations increased from 146.0 +/- 8.2 to 154.8 +/- 11.4 g/liter, and hematocrit from 43.5 +/- 2.5% to 45.8 +/- 3.4% (P < 0.001). Prostate weight and prostate-specific antigen levels did not change during the treatment. No major adverse events were observed. Transdermal administration of DHT improves sexual function and may be a useful alternative for androgen replacement. As estrogens are thought to play a role in the pathogenesis of prostate hyperplasia, DHT may be beneficial, compared with aromatizing androgens, in the treatment of aging men.

I found company who sells Legit Andractim if you like some. they sell it in certain part Europe, i guess they have a limited supply left. If you want some i can link you their contact. if someone on TRT takes the DHT cream can others benefit? I know it may not work for all men, but the ones on Injections with lower DHT would be better right?

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Dihydrotestosterone Administration Does Not Increase Intraprostatic Androgen Concentrations or Alter Prostate Androgen Action in Healthy Men: A Randomized-Controlled Trial

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Feb; 96(2): 430–437.

abstract
Context:
Concern exists that androgen treatment might adversely impact prostate health in older men. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), derived from local conversion of testosterone to DHT by 5α-reductase enzymes, is the principal androgen within the prostate. Exogenous androgens raise serum DHT concentrations, but their effects on the prostate are not clear.

Objective:
To determine the impact of large increases in serum DHT concentrations on intraprostatic androgen concentrations and androgen action within the prostate.

Design:
Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled.

Participants:
31 healthy men ages 35–55.

Intervention:
Daily transdermal DHT or placebo gel.

Main Outcome Measures:
Serum and prostate tissue androgen concentrations and prostate epithelial cell gene expression after 4 wk of treatment.

Results:
Twenty-seven men completed all study procedures. Serum DHT levels increased nearly sevenfold, while testosterone levels decreased in men treated with daily transdermal DHT gel but were unchanged in the placebo-treated group (P < 0.01 between groups). In contrast, intraprostatic DHT and testosterone concentrations on d 28 were not different between groups (DHT: placebo = 2.8 ± 0.2 vs. DHT gel = 3.1 ± 0.5 ng/g; T: placebo = 0.6 ± 0.2 vs. DHT gel = 0.4 ± 0.1, mean ± SE). Similarly, prostate volume, prostate-specific antigen, epithelial cell proliferation, and androgen-regulated gene expression were not different between groups.

Conclusions:
Robust supraphysiologic increases in serum DHT, associated with decreased serum T, do not significantly alter intraprostatic levels of DHT, testosterone, or prostate epithelial cell androgen–regulated gene expression in healthy men. Changes in circulating androgen concentrations are not necessarily mimicked within the prostate microenvironment, a finding with implications for understanding the impact of androgen therapies in men.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have a quick question before i sleep it's getting later in U.K but plan on sleep early tonight, because past 2 nights been bad one at 5AM and other at 2AM. Does Dopamine signal the brain for pleasure signals to get Erections? and would someone deficient in Dopamine, by taking a Dopamine supplement like Mucuna Pruriens (VELVET Bean) increase their Desire sexually more in the mind?
You should post that as a new thread not to hijack this subject.

K.pietera

For people who need a DHT 10% cream I have one in my protocol. I get it trough BalanceMyhormones under the supervision of Dr George T. for me it helped with libido , self esteem ad overall feel good !

Jerajera

For people who need a DHT 10% cream I have one in my protocol. I get it trough BalanceMyhormones under the supervision of Dr George T. for me it helped with libido , self esteem ad overall feel good !
The clinic in the UK? Do you mind if I ask you a few questions, I've been desperate to find a DHT cream to treat gyno and also feel better on TRT.

Do you think they might prescribe it for that purpose (gyno treatment)? Are you getting it for that or just on top of TRT for the benefits you described (libido, self-esteem, etc..)? How do you apply the cream/how often? Do you mind explaining your complete protocol?

I've been on TRT for 2 years now but have never been able to properly get dialed in. I think my E2 is too high despite being very lean with a good diet/exercise routine.
I tried using AI's in the past and would feel great and then terrible, I could never get them dialed in either.

I'm about to try the compounded cream applied to the scrotum for the increased DHT conversion, hoping it'll act as an Estrogen antagonist as it's supposed to, but that won't help with gyno the way a pure DHT cream would.

I know that's a lot of question, thanks for taking the time

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching