Testosterone replacement protects men with preexisting heart disease

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
1206M-07 - Clinical Effects of Testosterone Supplementation Among Hypo-Androgenic Men With Preexisting Severe Coronary Artery Disease: The Intermountain Heart Collaborative Study

http://www.abstractsonline.com/pp8/#!/3874/presentation/43323

TRT heart.jpg

Authors
Tami L. Bair, Heidi May, Viet T. Le, Donald Lappe, Jeffrey Anderson, J. Muhlestein, Intermountain Medical Center, Murray, UT, USA

Abstract

Introduction: Low serum testosterone (T) is an independent risk factor for CV and total mortality. The impact of T therapy on CV outcomes, especially among older men with pre-existing severe CAD, is unknown.

Methods: All men >50 yrs of age, with severe CAD (≥70% stenosis), a low (<212 ng/dL) baseline T level, 1 follow-up (f/u) T level and 3 yrs of clinical f/u were evaluated. T was stratified into categories: persistent low (<212), normal (212-742), and high (>742). Cox hazard regression analysis was performed to associate T categories with major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) including death [D], non-fatal MI, and stroke.

Results: A total of 755 men (age 68.0 ± 9.6 y, diabetes: 50%, hypertension: 83%, hyperlipidemia: 81%, smokers: 33%, prior MI: 23%) were studied. Event rates at 1 and 3-y by achieved T level, and adjusted HRs, are shown in Table. Overall 3-y rates of MACE, D and MI were 24.5%, 17.6% and 8.1% respectively. Pts supplemented to normal/high T had reduced 3-y MACE (HR=0.77 [0.56-1.04]), D (HR=0.67 [0.47-0.97]) and MI (HR 0.52 [0.31, 0.87]) compared to low T subjects. Results were similar for 1-y MACE (HR=0.63 [0.40, 1.00]), D (HR=0.93 [0.51, 1.69]) and MI (HR=0.26 [0.31, 0.87]).

Conclusions: Among elderly men with severe CAD and low T, T therapy was associated with reduced MACE, D and MI over 3-y compared to no or ineffective supplementation. A marked protective effect of T supplementation on MI incidence during first yr of f/u was noted, giving further evidence of CV safety associated with T supplementation.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Jon H

Am I mistaken, or is this huge news!?! Weren't the studies a couple years ago that vilified TRT, saying TRT caused heart attacks, done on men that already had heart disease? If the studies done on healthy men showed TRT had protective effects, and this study shows that it actually has protective effects on men with existing heart disease, doesn't this pretty much prove the naysayers wrong?

CoastWatcher

Am I mistaken, or is this huge news!?! Weren't the studies a couple years ago that vilified TRT, saying TRT caused heart attacks, done on men that already had heart disease? If the studies done on healthy men showed TRT had protective effects, and this study shows that it actually has protective effects on men with existing heart disease, doesn't this pretty much prove the naysayers wrong?

The studies you refer to were effectively debunked some time ago. You can find the refutations here on the forum in the Studies folder. The misinformation lingers because the first blast is always the one that is remembered.

Jon H

Yup, that's my point. If that negative study was debunked, and all other studies are now pointing to TRT helping protect against cardiac events in basically all men, that to me is huge news. :)

I just wish the studies that show it's protective would get the same exposure on the nightly news.

CoastWatcher

Yup, that's my point. If that negative study was debunked, and all other studies are now pointing to TRT helping protect against cardiac events in basically all men, that to me is huge news. :)

I just wish the studies that show it's protective would get the same exposure on the nightly news.

A one-shot story (a loud shot heard by half-listening men and their doctors) and the circus moves on. If we aren't our own advocates, demanding to be partners with our physicians in our healthcare, we will be ill-served.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me