55 and about to start TRT

Buy Lab Tests Online

jabbahop

This forum has been very helpful as I try to educate myself on testosterone and whether it has been an issue with me. It has been a very long road so I apologize if this is too much info.

Background
- happily married 55 years old, 180 pounds (trying to lose 10)
- love biking and raced for 5 years up until 2014
- in 2014 went through chemo for Hodgkin's lymphoma (successful)
- at the same time they found that I had an enlarged ascending aorta and tachaccardia. Cardiologist says I can ride but no more racing or working out at high HR or lifting as that raises blood pressure
- prior to 2014 I would have considered myself very fit and healthy

In 2013 I had my annual physical and the doc did a test for low testosterone for the first time and I came in borderline low (346; > 350 range) and free T 196; > 225 range. I also had an elevated PSA (have for years) so went to my urologist who gave me a sample of Axiron to try and did a confirming blood test.

I knew nothing about T but started the Axiron for 3 days before getting a call from urologist that my testosterone was fine and I should discontinue Axiron which I did (I wasn't thrilled with being on T because I was worried I might be drug tested at a bike race even though I was in the lowest category). Test was 475; >225 range, free was 6.8; >5 range, SHBG was 57.6; up to 65 was range. PSA was confirmed elevated a bit but only very slightly above prior year so not a worry (I had a clean biopsy in 2007). In the 7 years working with this urologist, he never tested nor mentioned testosterone but had me try every erection med available - none of which were particularly effective with my long term ED issues.

After getting through cancer and heart issues I have been spending more time understanding health issues and so started to read up on testosterone and it convinced me to switch urologists.

I began last summer with my new doc and it has been great to have someone actually listen. I saw my first urologist when I was in my mid 20's about erection issues (don't think he did any blood tests) but because I could sometimes get a nocturnal erection, it was all in my head. Went to shrink for a few sessions and got no where other than depressed because I now had mental AND physical issues apparently. He spent over 45 minutes with me going over my history - a totally different experience than 5 minutes including a DRE with my prior doc.

He ordered some more tests.

T - 395 >300 range
LH - 3.6 - 1.7 - 11.2
E - 28.6 - 20 - 75
SHBG - 41; 10 - 50
Analog Free T; .99; >5
PSA 5 (was in 4's last year)
blood flow ultrasound after the shot in penis (Man that hurt!) showed inflow is fine, bad leakage out
had my prostate biopsy and waiting on my results

He suggested either implant (said I was a good candidate given the leakage) or pellets since I wasn't trilled with self injecting when I have my teenage boys in the home and not wanting to have that conversation with dad injecting "steroids". I said I would rather try the testosterone first to see if it addresses the ED issues.

I am excited but also anxious about the pellets if they really help. I can identify with some of the other Low T symtoms but not sure it just some sort of hypochondriac response.

I find myself wondering whether I have been somewhat low free T since I was a teenager vs some sort of gradual age based decline. I was never a high sex drive guy. I never had significant morning or other wood though it is significantly worse now than it was in my 20's with extremely rare ability to have intercourse.

I have read posts of guys that have very pronounced changes, but has anyone had a long term low-grade issue that TRT helped with?

Assuming my biopsy is negative, I will start pellets in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

jabbahop

Sorry gene, I guess when writing the original post I left of that I had my first prostate biopsy in 2007 and it was clear. As long as I can remember, my PSA's have been elevated. I have had DRE and PSA tests every 6 months or so since then.

The earliest PSA I have in my records is 2006 at 2.5 and they have been gradually increasing since then (3's and 4's that whole time). DREs have always been enlarged but normal.

The biopsy last week will give me another indication on whether it is continued BHP or something more serious.

jabbahop

I appreciate the advice about pellets and have read about them here and elsewhere. Respectfully I am going to go with my doctor's recommendation and try that approach first.

Vince

Super Moderator
jabbahop, Welcome. I would not go with pellets, injecting is the best way to go. Do some research on pellets "please".
PSA 5 (was in 4's last year) is everything okay with your prostate? Is that why you're having a biopsy.

I appreciate the advice about pellets and have read about them here and elsewhere. Respectfully I am going to go with my doctor's recommendation and try that approach first.

You're just way off base here, no one uses pellets, they're terrible, so I don't know what insight is to be gained and then you go one with this "shooting steroids" thinking, you're going to have a tough time, here, if you don't broaden your viewpoints.

jabbahop

Vince, I am sorry - maybe I should just shut up as that didn't come off as intended.

I was only trying to explain that I am worried about how to explain my injecting to one of my teenage sons if/when he finds out - hard to keep secrets in a household. Maybe I should just sit down and explain everything to them but not quite ready for that conversation nor do I think they want to hear about Dad's issues ;-)

I think I have done quite a lot of reading here and elsewhere on pellets and I understand there are potential complications with pain and extrusion. I also have read posts from people that said they work for them. I may be one that kicks myself in a few months and admits you are all right.

Just one of the things I read was from Nelson's book. With the following quote;

"It was great not having to worry about remembering to inject every week or applying gel every day.... If my insurance insurance paid for this option and I found a good doctor in Houston who would administer this option, I would probably use it as my first option since I have a busy life style and love not having to worry about weekly injections or daily gels."

Nelson Vergel - Testosterone - A Man's Guide - Second Edition

Now maybe Nelson has a different opinion these days but I am not sure everyone agrees with "no one uses pellets, they're terrible" for everyone.

Vince, yes the latest prostate biopsy is because my latest PSA was 5 vs 4's in prior years. Biopsy wasn't fun but not quite as bad as the first one with no numbing meds. I've had enough cancer in 2014!

MG123

Hate to say it, but you are in for a tough ride and a sore butt with the pellets. Why not do the injections, which are much more effective and easier to adjust dosage-wise and just explain to your son that you aren't "doping" but merely bringing your T levels to where they should be in the first place. Injections are much cheaper as well. A lot of times doctors will push the pellets for the cost aspect of it.

I can echo some of the member comments here, but from experience. I have experience in the past of administering pellet TRT in addition to the other methods of transdermal and injectable (pellets for patients who preferred that route for perceived convenience), but I STOPPED providing pellet TRT as it became obvious that pellets didn't allow me to appropriately treat my patients and caused more complications for most. The biggest drawback is you lose flexibility in adjusting your levels. Those pellets will be there for 3-5 months typically and can dissolve at variable rates. Further, once they're in...THEY'RE IN, and you are stuck with them for 3-5 months (digging pellets out is not standard or recommended practice). If levels are too high -> you're stuck with levels too high for the better part of 3-5 months, if levels are too low -> you have to have ANOTHER procedure done to insert more. This is all in addition to the increased incidence of infection (especially if MRSA positive...have them test you BEFORE inserting any pellets or it could end up being a very bad experience!), bleeding, and scar tissue which WILL begin to develop over time (there's just so much "real estate" to work with back there and he tissue begins to scar over time). Finally, I've seen many more problems with increasing hematocrit (thicker blood) and persistently elevated estrogen (due to often too high of testosterone levels with the pellets). Just make sure they don't insert an ANASTROZOLE PELLET...believe it or not guys, these do exist and I have had guys come to me from other doctors after having exactly that inserted with their testosterone pellets...not ideal!

Go with your physician's recommendations if you feel comfortable and have confidence in them, but you also owe it to yourself to give real consideration to the pros/cons and available alternatives.

CoastWatcher

I would hope your son could handle the fact that his father has a medical issue he is treating and not suspect you are shooting illegal steroids. The children of diabetics know their parents inject; they come to realize that health challenges are met with certain responses. I saw my father inject regularly. I wish you the best.

Jabba,

If you're not going to listen to the members of this forum (some with many years experience being on TRT), then please listen to Dr. Saya. He is a medical expert in the TRT field, and is up to speed on all the latest protocols.

In 2016, if any "Doctor" recommended to me that I have Test pellets implanted as a valid protocol, I would have walked out of his office laughing, and it would have been the last time I ever set foot in his office. Clearly, he isn't up to speed and current with what is going on in the modern TRT world.

Do yourself a favor, and get a consult with Defy Medical.

Jabbahop gave me some more helpful details via PM. I Believe he is in good hands as he is being seen at the office of a prominent Harvard urologist. Although I am surprised by the recommendation for pellet treatment, I believe he now has the relevant information to discuss alternatives with his provider and to determine what would be best for him. Of course, I would always be happy to offer a consult or a second opinion, but I believe he will be able to come to a successful conclusion as long as he is open and direct with his current provider. Good luck jabbahop!

baughts

I have my TRT with Defy (Dr Saya) now but when I first started with my first Dr we discussed the options and pellets was going to cost me at lease $600.00 every 5 to 6 months, needless to say it did not take me long to decide to take the injection route.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me