Are Saliva Hormone Tests Accurate?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Test results posted at the end (couldn't figure out how to post picture of results, maybe because I'm doing this from my phone)

Hello everyone new member here, I have been having lots of symptoms of Low T, but have been blaming it on an ongoing stomach issue I have had going on. Well stomach issue got better, low T symptoms did not.

My doctor reported my T levels as "normal" and I did not think much of it. I ordered a salvia test just to see what my hormone levels were. This was before I really did any research into testosterone and TRT. Now that I have done more research I'm fairly concerned, and will be going back to the doctor in the next couple weeks.

I have attempted to naturally boost my T levels since I was technically "normal" felt slightly better but still having issues. I ordered a second salvia test still waiting on results.

I will get my blood results from the test they did at my next appointment and try and convince them to do more blood work and consider TRT or other low T treatment.

Just looking for any input and advice you have for me. I have read ton of forums about others experiences. I am unsure how receptive my primary care doctor will be to the idea since I'm a 29 year old male in otherwise healthy condition, I also work out regularly and eat semi-good.

Thanks for any input.

Age 29, weight 175lbs, height 5'8".

Estradiol 1.3 pg/ml range 0.5-2.2
Progesterone 18 pg/ml range 12-100
Testosterone 72 pg/ml range 44-148 (for my age it shows right on the line of being subnormal)
DHEAS 6.2 ng/ml range 2-23 (for my age it shows subnormal)
Cortisol 5.5 ng/ml range 3.7-9.5 (below average but normal)

I know I'm missing a lot of things I need to get tested, I did this test before I really new anything. Just looking for some initial input and I'll update when I get more extensive blood work done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
There is also this study which support saliva test. I can't post the link but its titled

"Diagnostic significance of free salivary testosterone measurement using a direct luminescence immunoassay in healthy men and in patients with disorders of androgenic status"

According to this study chances are my free t levels are lower then indicated by the saliva test. When I get my blood work done I'll post and we can see the differences between the two.

Like I said didn't know much when I first started looking into my T levels. If I could go back would have done the blood test. Saliva just seemed convenient at the time.

I'll keep you updated.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
It's an OK 2006 study but they did not use liquid chromatography to determine blood levels of free and total T (which is the gold standard for accurate T testing in the present).

Aging Male. 2006 Jun;9(2):111-22.
Diagnostic significance of free salivary testosterone measurement using a direct luminescence immunoassay in healthy men and in patients with disorders of androgenic status.

Goncharov N1, Katsya G, Dobracheva A, Nizhnik A, Kolesnikova G, Herbst V, Westermann J.
Author information

Abstract

The accurate measurement of testosterone remains a challenge. The determination of the blood testosterone concentrations in serum by conventional immunoassays is inaccurate in men and even more so in females and children. A new luminescence enzyme immunoassay (LIA) has been developed and validated. The high analytical (8.7 pmol/L) and functional (17.3 pmol/L) sensitivity allows the quantification of the very low concentration in saliva, as well as in serum, after 1/40 dilution. This study measured salivary testosterone levels and compared the results with the free levels calculated from total testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin in eugonadal and hypogonadal men. Salivary testosterone concentrations in healthy men in morning hours were 369 pmol/L (mean), range 263-544 pmol/L, which was statistically significantly higher than that in men with androgen deficiency, 215 pmol/L (mean), range 51-249 pmol/L. Repetitive determination of free testosterone concentrations in saliva (once a week for 5 weeks) showed high stability of results over time, with coefficient of variation 9% (range 5-23%). In this study we showed that free salivary testosterone levels in morning samples correlated well with calculated free testosterone in blood, both in healthy men (R = 0.754, P = 0.001), and in patients with androgen deficiency (R = 0.889, P = 0.0001), though in cases with very low testosterone, salivary concentrations were systematically higher than calculated free testosterone levels in blood.

So my second saliva test results have come in. Results are suprising and posted below. My blood test should be taken tomorrow.

Estradiol below .05 pg/ml range .05-2.2
Progesterone 25 pg/ml range 12-100
Free Testosterone 41 pg/ml range 44-148
Dheas 8.4 ng/ml range 2-23
Cortisol 7.1 ng/ml range 3.7-9.5

Result are suprising since I've been doing just about everything to naturally increase testosterone. I have supplemented with DHEA and pregenlone which does explain the increase I DHEAS and progesterone. I've also been taking DIM, but the estradiol levels are still suprising.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me