High Protein Intake Did Not Change Kidney Function or Body Composition In Men Who Exercise.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
The effects of a high protein diet onindices of health and body composition – acrossover trial in resistance-trained men

Abstract

Background: Eight weeks of a high protein diet (>3 g/kg/day) coupled with a periodized heavy resistance training program has been shown to positively affect body composition with no deleterious effects on health. Using a randomized, crossover design, resistance-trained male subjects underwent a 16-week intervention (i.e., two 8-week periods) in which they consumed either their normal (i.e., habitual) or a higher protein diet (>3 g/kg/day). Thus, the purpose of this study was to ascertain if significantly increasing protein intake would affect clinical markers of health (i.e., lipids, kidney function, etc.) as well as performance and body composition in young males with
extensive resistance training experience.

Methods: Twelve healthy resistance-trained men volunteered for this study (mean ± SD: age 25.9 ± 3.7 years; height 178.0 ± 8.5 cm; years of resistance training experience 7.6 ± 3.6) with 11 subjects completing most of the assessments. In a randomized crossover trial, subjects were tested at baseline and after two 8-week treatment periods (i.e., habitual [normal] diet and high protein diet) for body composition, measures of health (i.e., blood lipids, comprehensive metabolic panel) and performance. Each subject maintained a food diary for the 16-week
treatment period (i.e., 8 weeks on their normal or habitual diet and 8 weeks on a high protein diet).
Each subject provided a food diary of two weekdays and one weekend day per week. In addition, subjects kept a diary of their training regimen that was used to calculate total work performed.
Results: During the normal and high protein phase of the treatment period, subjects consumed 2.6 ± 0.8 and 3.3 ± 0.8 g/kg/day of dietary protein, respectively. The mean protein intake over the 4-month period was 2.9 ± 0.9 g/kg/day. The high protein group consumed significantly more calories and protein (p < 0.05) than he normal protein group. There were no differences in dietary intake between the groups for any other measure. Moreover, there were no significant changes in body composition or markers of health in either group. There were no side effects (i.e., blood lipids, glucose, renal, kidney function etc.) regarding high protein consumption.

Conclusion: In resistance-trained young men who do not significantly alter their training regimen, consuming a high protein diet (2.6 to 3.3 g/kg/day) over a 4-month period has no effect on blood lipids or markers of renal and hepatic function. Nor were there any changes in performance or body composition. This is the first crossover trial using resistance-trained subjects in which the elevation of protein intake to over four times the recommended dietary allowance has shown no harmful effects.

Keywords: Protein, Diet, Body composition, Nutrition, Body fat

FULL PAPER: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/s12970-016-0114-2.pdf

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

GEORGE TOULIATOS

Serum urea increases in case of possitive nitrogen balance (retention) and occasionaly when azothemia occurs,ammonemia (NH3) in blood gives that particular odor in skin and sweat. In case of high red meat consumption,then there is elevation of serum creatinine due to creatine content.Urea and creatitine levels are also affected from hydration state (elevation in dehydration).

Sean Mosher

So for those who are resistance training or training hard 4-5 days a week, is the basic rule still 1-1.25 g per pound of bodyweight per day?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
This study used a protein dose of > 1.35 grams per pound per day for 8 weeks and found no effect in men who exercised. Do we need more than 8 weeks? May be, may be not.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Meta-Analysis of High Protein Diet Studies.

Full paper: http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v66/n7/pdf/ejcn201237a.pdf

high protein vs low protein diets meta analysis.jpg

European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2012) 66, 780&#8211;788; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2012.37; published online 18 April 2012

Effects of higher- versus lower-protein diets on health outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Background/Objectives:

Numerous randomised controlled trials (RCTs) published in first tier medical journals have evaluated the health effects of diets high in protein. We conducted a rigorous systematic review of RCTs comparing higher- and lower-protein diets.

Methods:

We searched several electronic databases up to July 2011 for studies focusing on patient-important outcomes (for example, cardiovascular disease) and secondary outcomes such as risk factors for chronic disease (for example, adiposity).

Results:

We identified 111 articles reporting on 74 trials. Pooled effect sizes using standardised mean differences (SMDs) were small to moderate and favoured higher-protein diets for weight loss (SMD &#8722;0.36, 95% confidence interval (CI) &#8722;0.56 to &#8722;0.17), body mass index (&#8722;0.37, CI &#8722;0.56 to 0.19), waist circumference (&#8722;0.43, CI &#8722;0.69 to &#8722;0.16), blood pressure (systolic: &#8722;0.21, CI &#8722;0.32 to &#8722;0.09 and diastolic: &#8722;0.18, CI &#8722;0.29 to &#8722;0.06), high-density lipoproteins (HDL 0.25, CI 0.07 to 0.44), fasting insulin (&#8722;0.20, CI &#8722;0.39 to &#8722;0.01) and triglycerides (&#8722;0.51, CI &#8722;0.78 to &#8722;0.24). Sensitivity analysis of studies with lower risk of bias abolished the effect on HDL and fasting insulin, and reduced the effect on triglycerides. We observed nonsignificant effects on total cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins, C-reactive protein, HbA1c, fasting blood glucose, and surrogates for bone and kidney health. Adverse gastrointestinal events were more common with high-protein diets. Multivariable meta-regression analysis showed no significant dose response with higher protein intake.

Conclusions:

Higher-protein diets probably improve adiposity, blood pressure and triglyceride levels, but these effects are small and need to be weighed against the potential for harms.

raygo

Key point here: In resistance-trained young men

Excessive protein intake is hard on the kidneys. I am currently experiencing some kidney issues, since I was about 55. You'll want to keep in mind that a normal part of aging involves gradual loss of some kidney function, so if this forum is targeted at men primarily over the age of approx. 45-50, then this is comparing apples and oranges. Our kidneys have seen a lot more wear at our age. Sadly, I am evaluating everything about my lifestyle at the moment, including my excessive meat/protein consumption.

You'll want to get regular kidney function tests, specifically creatinine clearance and eGFR. eGFR is estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, usually based on serum Creatinine level, age, sex, and race. The level of creatinine in the blood is a useful guide to kidney function, but GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is a more accurate measure. Blood creatinine is used to estimate GFR (eGFR). GFR is used to measure the severity of kidney damage. Because it is normally about 100 it gives an approximate "% kidney function".

In an average healthy male, you can get an estimate of what your eGFR should be by calculating: 140 - (your age). I should be between 70 and 90, all things being equal, and I am at less than 60.

Also, if you find you have an abnormally low eGFR, you'll need to cut creatine supplementation too. Sad fact.

Last edited:

HarryCat

Key point here: In resistance-trained young men

Excessive protein intake is hard on the kidneys. I am currently experiencing some kidney issues, since I was about 55. You'll want to keep in mind that a normal part of aging involves gradual loss of some kidney function, so if this forum is targeted at men primarily over the age of approx. 45-50, then this is comparing apples and oranges. Our kidneys have seem a lot more wear at our age. Sadly, I am evaluating everything about my lifestyle at the moment, including my excessive meat/protein consumption.

You'll want to get regular kidney function tests, specifically creatinine clearance and eGFR. eGFR is estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, usually based on serum Creatinine level, age, sex, and race. The level of creatinine in the blood is a useful guide to kidney function, but GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is a more accurate measure. Blood creatinine is used to estimate GFR (eGFR). GFR is used to measure the severity of kidney damage. Because it is normally about 100 it gives an approximate "% kidney function".

In an average healthy male, you can get an estimate of what your eGFR should be by calculating: 140 - (your age). I should be between 70 and 90, all things being equal, and I am at less than 60.

Also, if you find you have an abnormally low eGFR, you'll need to cut creatine supplementation too. Sad fact.

I agree. My I eGFR is borderline so I limit my protein intake to the 0.36g/lb (1g/kg) recommended by the national kidney foundation.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me