Testosterone Replacement Enhances the Effects of Metformin on Lipids and Inflammation

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2015; 123(10): 608-613

The Effect of Metformin and Metformin-Testosterone Combination on Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Men with Late-onset Hypogonadism and Impaired Glucose Tolerance

Abstract

No previous study has investigated the effect of metformin, administered alone or together with testosterone, on cardiometabolic risk factors in men with hypogonadism. The study included 30 men with late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) who had been complying with lifestyle intervention. After 12 weeks of metformin treatment (1.7 g daily), the participants were allocated to one of 2 groups treated for the following 12 weeks with oral testosterone undecanoate (120 mg daily, n=15) or not receiving androgen therapy (n=15). Plasma lipids, glucose homeostasis markers, as well as plasma levels of androgens, uric acid, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), homocysteine and fibrinogen were determined before and after 12 and 24 weeks of therapy with the final dose of metformin. Patients with LOH and IGT had higher levels of hsCRP, homocysteine and fibrinogen than subjects with only LOH (n=12) or only IGT (n=15). Metformin administered alone improved insulin sensitivity, as well as reduced 2-h postchallenge plasma glucose and triglycerides. Testosterone-metformin combination therapy decreased also total and LDL cholesterol, uric acid, hsCRP, homocysteine and fibrinogen, as well as increased plasma testosterone. The effect of this combination therapy on testosterone, insulin sensitivity, hsCRP, homocysteine and fibrinogen was stronger than that of metformin alone. The obtained results indicate that IGT men with LOH receiving metformin may gain extra benefits if they are concomitantly treated with oral testosterone.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

J2048b

i guess ill start my metformin sooner than i thought as my doc prescribed me some due to high insulin levels recently...

I'm on Metformin i take 1 850mg dose a day but i also eat a lowcarb moderate fat diet which keeps my BS in check damn near normal when i eat real correct my fasting BS inmorning is 90-110 i need to lose about 50lbs build some muscle and i can get off it and probably my HBP meds too!!

MarkLA

Interesting that T+Metformin reduces homocysteine. I had read that Metformin worsens (increases) homocysteine when used alone.

GEORGE TOULIATOS

As known,somatropin lowers insulin sensitivity and establishes insulin resistance.Metformin is known to make cellular receptors more sensitive to insulin.Testosterone also improves insulin sensitivity,perhaps due to improvement in lean body mass (BMI).Daibetic patients who use insulin,have to adjust and lower their daily dosage,while on testosterone.

GEORGE TOULIATOS

man i wish i could manage to get some gh!! that would complete my anti aging adventure and make me a happy duckling!

why do u use met?
As known,somatropin lowers insulin sensitivity and establishes insulin resistance.Metformin is known to make cellular receptors more sensitive to insulin.Testosterone also improves insulin sensitivity,perhaps due to improvement in lean body mass (BMI).Daibetic patients who use insulin,have to adjust and lower their daily dosage,while on testosterone.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me