Studies on fish oil

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
CME:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the Management of Hypertriglyceridemia: New Findings and Formulations - Continuing Medical Education (CME):princeton Media Associates, exp. 10/29/06 - "To lower TG levels, the dose of omega-3 therapy is ~4 g of EPA + DHA per day"
Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Recommendations for Therapeutics and Prevention - Medscape, exp. 10/19/06 -"Studies support low DHA as a risk factor for dementia. Low total n-3 fatty acids levels, EPA and DHA associate with greater risk of CVD, dietary intake and/or supplementation is supported as a secondary or tertiary prevention measure. Omega-3 fatty acids also help to prevent type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome, two common precursors to CVD. There is some support for schizophrenia, depressive or aggressive disorders; however, large multi-center clinical trials have yet to be conducted. The anti-inflammatory properties of n-3 fatty acids are helpful in decreasing symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and may possibly increase remission length in Crohn's patients"
Omega 3: Implications in human health and disease - PowerPak (CME course), exp. 8/1/03 - "On average, our society consumes around 35% of its caloric intake from fat, mainly as vegetable oil. The omega 6 LA comprises 7% to 9% of our daily caloric intake, while the omega 3 LNA makes up about 0.7% of energy. It is therefore estimated that the dietary ratio of LA to LNA ranges from 10 to 20:1, at which level the metabolism of LNA is strongly suppressed.2,25 Again, this is far more than the recommended ratio of 2.3:1" - See Mega Twin EPA at Amazon.com

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
General Information:
An Evidence-Based Medicine Approach to the Appropriate Selection of Supplementation with Omega-3 Fatty - PowerPak.com, 6/1/07 - "Fish oils EPA and DHA appear to result in different physiologic effects than their precursor, the plant-derived ALA.12-14 Biosynthesis of EPA or DHA from ALA is limited. Although dietary consumption of ALA alone will prevent EFA deficiency, emerging scientific evidence indicates that for optimum health or body function, the fish oils EPA and DHA should also be ingested regularly, either from dietary or supplement sources. Use of ALA supplementation alone, even with high dose or long-term consumption, does not result in lowered triglyceride concentrations seen with EPA or DHA, nor does it demonstrate similar in vitro susceptibility to oxidation of LDL cholesterol"
The Heart-Healthy Benifits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids - John Hopkins University School of Medicine, 6/05 - "Fish-oil supplements appear to have much lower levels of toxins than fish. In a study of 5 over the-counter fish-oil preparations, levels of PCBs and organochlorines were below the detectable limit in all of the supplements ... Because consumption of this amount of fish in secondary prevention is difficult for most individuals, dietary supplementation is generally needed and should be recommended. The dose in secondary prevention should be at least 875 mg of EPA + DHA per day. This dose can generally be obtained by taking 2 capsules of concentrated fish oils (at least 50% EPA + DHA) per day. For example, such a preparation would contain 500 mg of EPA + DHA per each 1000-mg fish-oil capsule"
Omega 3: Implications in Human Health and Disease - PowerPak.com - "It should be noted, however, that flaxseed or flaxseed oil does not contain EPA or DHA. Thus flaxseed and fish oil are not interchangeable sources of omega 3 fatty acids per se" - I believe the same holds true for canola oil - Ben
Omega 3: Implications in Human Health and Disease -PowerPak.com -"The omega 6 LA comprises 7% to 9% of our daily caloric intake, while the omega 3 LNA makes up about 0.7% of energy. It is therefore estimated that the dietary ratio of LA to LNA ranges from 10 to 20:1, at which level the metabolism of LNA is strongly suppressed. Again, this is far more than the recommended ratio of 2.3:1 ... From an evolutionary perspective, a significant change in the diet has occurred in a very short time. The diet of our ancestors in the Paleolithic period (400,000 to 45,000 years ago) was lower in fat and balanced in omega 6 and omega 3—a ratio of 1:1, or 10- to 20-fold lower than today's standard."

Vince

Super Moderator
News & Research:
Omega-3 inhibits blood vessel growth in age-related macular degeneration - Science Daily, 6/17/14 - "Age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which is characterized by choroidal neovascularization (CNV), or blood vessel growth, is the primary cause of blindness in elderly individuals of industrialized countries ... the omega (ω)-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFAs), DHA and EPA, and their specific bioactive products derived from the cytochrome P450 (CYP) pathway, can influence choroidal neovascularization (CNV) and vascular leakage by modulating micro-environmental immune cell recruitment to the site of these lesions ... Given the prevalence of neovascular eye disease, the potential impact of this study is highly significant. We have identified unique endogenous lipid biometabolites that are able to inhibit pathologic retinal angiogenesis, a major driver of vision loss worldwide"- See fish oil supplements at Amazon.com .
Diet Rich in Polyphenols Improves Glucose Metabolism - Medscape, 6/4/14 - "they randomized 45 patients to one of four diets: a standard control diet that was low in omega-3 fatty acids and polyphenols, a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a diet rich in polyphenols, and a diet that included omega-3 fatty acids and polyphenols. All patients were overweight or obese, with a body-mass index > 30 ... Although individuals lost more weight on the eight-week omega-3-fatty-acid–enriched diet, there were significantly greater improvements in plasma glucose and plasma insulin levels with the polyphenol-enriched diet during an oral glucose tolerance test. The improvement in glucose metabolism was observed only in those who consumed the polyphenol-enriched diet ... this particular mechanism of action with polyphenols is similar to drugs used in the treatment of diabetes. However, rather than wait until the patient is diagnosed with the metabolic disease, a diet rich in polyphenols could be used as a preventive strategy"
Diet can predict cognitive decline, researchers say - Science Daily, 4/27/14 -"What is the takeaway from this research? There is growing evidence that very long chain omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for maintaining cognitive health, and many Americans do not have an adequate intake of these nutrients" - See fish oil supplements at Amazon.com .
Fatty-Fish Consumption Alters HDL-Particle Profile - Medscape, 3/7/14 - "Although total-, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol levels did not change, for those who consumed this healthy diet rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, the intake of fish was strongly correlated with an increased concentration of large HDL particles, including an increase in the average diameter of HDL particles and an increase in the concentrations of large HDL lipid components ... The changes that we saw in large HDL particles could be related to those parameters that are functionally related to reverse cholesterol transport ... Thus, our findings could partly explain the known protective effects of fish consumption against atherosclerosis"
Fish Oil Might Guard Against Loss of Brain Cells - WebMD, 1/22/14 -"The more you consume the omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils, the less likely you are to lose as many precious brain cells as you age ... the researchers tested levels of omega-3 fatty acids in the red blood cells of more than 1,000 older women. Eight years later, the women had MRI scans that measured their brain volumes. At the time of the scans, the women were an average of 78 years old ... Participants whose omega-3 levels were twice as high had a 0.7 percent higher brain volume ... The results suggest that the effect on brain volume is the equivalent of delaying the normal loss of brain cells that comes with aging by one to two years" - [Medscape] - See fish oil supplements at Amazon.com .
Fish derived serum omega-3 fatty acids help reduce risk of type 2 diabetes - Science Daily, 1/14/14 - "Ongoing at the University of Eastern Finland, the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study (KIHD) determined the serum omega-3 fatty acid concentrations of 2,212 men between 42 and 60 years of age at the onset of the study, in 1984-1989 ... follow-up of 19.3 years ... The risk of men in the highest serum omega-3 fatty acid concentration quarter to develop type 2 diabetes was 33% lower than the risk of men in the lowest quarter" - See fish oil supplements at Amazon.com .
Omega-3 Dietary Supplements Pass Blood-Brain Barrier - Science Daily, 12/4/13 -"omega-3 fatty acids in dietary supplements can cross the blood brain barrier in people with Alzheimer's disease ... The findings are presented in the Journal of Internal Medicine, and strengthen the evidence that omega-3 may benefit certain forms of this seriously debilitating disease ... Thirty-three patients participated in the study, 18 of whom received a daily omega-3 supplement and 15 a placebo for six months. The results show that the first group had higher levels of both DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, another omega-3 fatty acid) in their cerebrospinal fluid (which surrounds the CNS) and blood. No such change was seen in the placebo group ... Moreover, they also found that levels of DHA correlated directly with the degree of change in Alzheimer's disease and inflammatory markers in the cerebrospinal fluid"
Low-fat fish oil changes cancer tissue in prostate cancer, study shows - Science Daily, 11/18/13 - "Men with prostate cancer who ate a low-fat diet and took fish oil supplements had lower levels of pro-inflammatory substances in their blood and a lower cell cycle progression score, a measure used to predict cancer recurrence ... lowering the cell cycle progression (CCP) score may help prevent prostate cancers from becoming more aggressive ... The Western diet consisted of 40 percent of calories from fat, generally equivalent to what many Americans consume today .... The low-fat diet consisted of 15 percent of calories from fat. Additionally, the men on this diet took five grams of fish oil per day in five capsules, three with breakfast and two with dinner, to provide omega-3 fatty acids"
High serum fatty acid protects against brain abnormalities - Science Daily, 10/17/13 - "3,660 people aged 65 and older underwent brain scans to detect so called silent brain infarcts, or small lesions in the brain that can cause loss of thinking skills, dementia and stroke. Scans were performed again five years later on 2,313 of the participants ... silent brain infarcts, which are only detected by brain scans, are found in about 20% of otherwise healthy elderly people ... those who had high long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid content in blood had about 40% lower risk of having small brain infarcts compared to those with low content of these fatty acids in blood ... people who had high long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid content in blood also had fewer changes in the white matter in their brains"

Re-Ride

Vince, thanks for posting. I'm unable to conclude from these studies that macerating fish waste and capsulizing it will have a positive impact on my health. At least one researcher said the subjects ate fish for dinner not supplements.

The researchers are forthright:
"fish oil -might- guard against loss of brain cells"... 'lowering CCP marker -may- help prostate cancers from becoming more aggressive"... "The changes that we saw in large HDL particles -could- be related to those parameters"...

Some of these studies actually conclude that one would be better off spending their money on pomegranates than fish oil:
"there were significantly greater improvements in plasma glucose and plasma insulin levels with the polyphenol-enriched diet ( not the omega rich diet ) observed during an oral glucose tolerance test... a diet rich in polyphenols ( not fish or fish oil ) could be used as a preventive strategy"

There seems to be a rush to assume that any capsules labeled "omega" or "epa/dha" , no matter what's really inside, will yield the same benefit which again, in most cases, is nothing more than an optimistic outlook.

Raise your hands Excellmates if you or a family member were cured of cancer, had your diabetes resolved or accomplished an at home by-pass-in-a-bottle.

Some of this work has been debunked... "Fish-oil supplements appear to have much lower levels of toxins than fish."
Really? The ultra-expensive Rx isolates excepted, none of the fish oils are routinely assayed by lot. It's like saying: "We checked a bunch of spinach last year and it was all good... conclusion: spinach is always safe and never contaminated" Ha!

The most outrageous: Eat your fish pills and get closer to your roots, Go Paleo!

As I was saying... Small fish, low on the food chain, clearly labeled as sourced from specific fisheries are the safest bet. Fish oil caps are NOT cleaner than fish. That's a baseless and preposterous generalization. Even where fish oil producers take steps to clean up their macerated fish scraps the extremely delicate fatty acids are still subject to oxidation and decomposition.

An interesting test pp can do at home to compare fish oil capsules is to place them in cups containing a few ounces of warmed spring water. Submerge and cut with scissors. Sniff and taste.

The industry has done a great job converting fish waste to over $1.2 billion in profits annually. Once a person buys in to the hype it is very very difficult to get them to review their decision. On the one hand we're conditioned to believe that none of our food is safe and on the other that we can substitute pills in nice packaging for wholesome nutrition.

When serious questions are raised about the sanity of downing these mystery pills people look the other way perhaps because we allow the pills to erase the guilt for enjoying that restaurant meal with a friend or not spending most of their waking hours procuring and preparing wholesome food.

tjlab

Vince, good post. I can 100% attest that this has worked for me. I am 35 and have been taking 4-5 grams of fish oil per day for year and my lipids have greatly improved. My triglycerides have been cut by 40%.

Cholesterol will naturally raise with high fish oil supplementation.

Vince

Super Moderator
A study in 2003 indicated that if you give patients relatively high doses of fish oil, you could see a definite remodeling of the soft, vulnerable carotid plaques in about 40 days compared to subjects taking a placebo composed of safflower oil. The carotid plaques in the subjects taking the fish oil became less inflamed, had higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, fewer macrophages and more well-formed fibrous caps compared to those taking the placebo.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12583947

Thies F, Garry JM, Yaqoob P, Rerkasem K, Williams J, Shearman CP, Gallagher PJ, Calder PC, and Grimble RF. “Association of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids with stability of atherosclerotic plaques: a randomized controlled trial.” Lancet 2003 361: 477-485 (2003).

That was a study on carotid plaques. Would high dose fish oil have a modest effect on remodeling soft plaque in coronary arteries?

I get my Fish Oil at Sam's Club as it's well rated in the bang for your buck ratings. Each pill that they call "Triple-Strength" is 1400 mg but the EPA is 647, DHA 253. So with a 900mg dose of EPA/DHA I'm taking 3 pills per day. The study indicates a much lower level, and doesn't think elevating too high has much benefit right? So is 2.7g of EPA/DHA adequate?

A 2012 study in Norway found that 95% of 113 over-the-counter fish oil capsules were so rancid that they did not meet official quality standards. You owe it to yourself and your health to be an informed consumer.
source: https://www.drnewtons.com/blog/without-licaps-technology-krill-oil-capsules-may-rancid/

I wanted to bring this topic back up to ask you guys your thoughts on fish/krill omega 3 oils.

I have been taking Nortic Naturals Omega 3 for about 3 months 3300mg/day (total consumption ~32oz)

I recently tried some caps of Krill omega 3 oil and spent the next 4 hours burping fish oil it was totally disgusting so I did a little google surfing
and discovered a lot of fish oil on the market is oxidized and or rancid.

Is there anyway to tell (smell, clarity, etc) if what you bought is good or bad?

I did not experience any burping fish oil with the Nortic Naturals Omega 3 liquid (no caps) are ther any tricks out there to stop the burping?

madman

Super Moderator
source: https://www.drnewtons.com/blog/without-licaps-technology-krill-oil-capsules-may-rancid/

I wanted to bring this topic back up to ask you guys your thoughts on fish/krill omega 3 oils.

I have been taking Nortic Naturals Omega 3 for about 3 months 3300mg/day (total consumption ~32oz)

I recently tried some caps of Krill omega 3 oil and spent the next 4 hours burping fish oil it was totally disgusting so I did a little google surfing
and discovered a lot of fish oil on the market is oxidized and or rancid.

Is there anyway to tell (smell, clarity, etc) if what you bought is good or bad?

I did not experience any burping fish oil with the Nortic Naturals Omega 3 liquid (no caps) are ther any tricks out there to stop the burping?

I take Carlson finest cod liver oil every day 1tbsp contains roughly 3 grams epa/dha combined and vitamins a/d. Personally I think eating sardines/salmon is the best way to obtain omega 3s plus you get the proteins/healthy fats,vitamin/minerals/antioxidants to boot as whole foods in their natural state are nutrient dense.

Curious Vince do you track your macros or have a ballpark of what they are? I know you eat pretty high fat very low carb. Just curious if you knew approximately how much protein, carbs, and fat grams you take in normally? Do you cheat ever?

I take Carlson finest cod liver oil every day 1tbsp contains roughly 3 grams epa/dha combined and vitamins a/d. Personally I think eating sardines/salmon is the best way to obtain omega 3s plus you get the proteins/healthy fats,vitamin/minerals/antioxidants to boot as whole foods in their natural state are nutrient dense.

This Carlson's looks pretty good. Thanks.
How is the taste? Do you mix it or add it to anything? Get any after taste or burping an hour or two later?

I love smoked salmon and eat ~1oz daily on my spinash salad lunch.
I'm lucky to have the Honey Smoked Salmon facility right here in Denver.
https://honeysmokedfish.com/

Looks like Nortic Naturals is made from Anchovies and Sardines and Carlson's is made from Cod.

Vince

Super Moderator
Curious Vince do you track your macros or have a ballpark of what they are? I know you eat pretty high fat very low carb. Just curious if you knew approximately how much protein, carbs, and fat grams you take in normally? Do you cheat ever?

No I don't. I eat lots of eggs, non-starchy vegetables and healthy nuts. I also eat meat, fish and good cheeses, but not daily. I only drink tea, black coffee and water.

madman

Super Moderator
This Carlson's looks pretty good. Thanks.
How is the taste? Do you mix it or add it to anything? Get any after taste or burping an hour or two later?

I love smoked salmon and eat ~1oz daily on my spinash salad lunch.
I'm lucky to have the Honey Smoked Salmon facility right here in Denver.
https://honeysmokedfish.com/

Looks like Nortic Naturals is made from Anchovies and Sardines and Carlson's is made from Cod.

Carlsons comes in regular or orange and lemon flavoured. I use the lemon flavoured as I like the taste. Tried regular it is a little harsh but tolerable. As far as burps right after taking oil I have a few but they do not stick around.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me