Recovery of Thyroid Function After Stopping Thyroid Medication

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Recovery of Pituitary Thyrotropic Function after Withdrawal of Prolonged Thyroid-Suppression Therapy

Apostolos G. Vagenakis, M.D., Lewis E. Braverman, M.D., Fereidoun Azizi, M.D., Gary I. Portnay, M.D., and Sidney H. Ingbar, M.D.
N Engl J Med 1975; 293:681-684October 2, 1975DOI: 10.1056/NEJM197510022931402

Abstract

The pattern of thyrotropin secretion was analyzed in seven euthyroid women, before and after withdrawal of long-term thyroid hormone, by serial measurements of thyroid uptake, serum thyroxine, tri-iodothyronine, and thyrotropin concentrations, and the response to thyrotropin-releasing hormone. During exogenous hormone administration, uptake was suppressed, and serum thyrotropin concentrations before and after administration of thyrotropin-releasing hormone were undetectable. After withdrawal of exogenous hormone, thyrotropin secretory function was transiently impaired, as indicated by undetectable basal thyrotropin concentrations together with absence of response to thyrotropin-releasing hormone, and subsequently by normal values of basal thyrotropin concentration and normal responses to releasing hormone while serum thyroxine and tri-iodothyronine concentrations were subnormal. Decreased thyrotropin reserve persisted for two to five weeks.
Detectable values of serum thyrotropin ( <1.2 &#956;U per milliliter) and a normal uptake usually occurred concurrently in two to three weeks. Serum thyroxine concentration returned to normal at least four weeks after hormone withdrawal. (N Engl J Med 293:681&#8211;684, 1975)

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching