balancing low ferritin levels and frequent donation.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
Nattō fermented soybeans, areas in Japan eat Natto. I know some people who eat them for there for the high amounts of vitamin K they have, but I believe they taste awful.

BuzzSaw

Concerned wife.

Thyroids are a PITA. Make sure to check reverse T3 (rT3) as well, as mine are high and can lead to hypo symptoms (rT3 blocks the normal thyroid receptors for the active T3). Also worth reading the book: Stop the thyroid madness (2nd edition).

Thyroid needs decent amount of iron to function, so it's a real balancing act.

My Ferritin has been in the low teens, along with iron serum. I started 62mg Elemental Iron twice per day along with 1000mg Vit C. I did not feel "better" at any time in about 6 weeks and the last time I donated at the standard 56 day interval, my HGB was very high might have been in the 18s (HCT appx 57). So I discontinued iron immediatelty and use only Vit C now. Testing did show my Ferritin was up to the 20s while supplementing.
I didn't find any subjective improved feeling while supplementing iron.

BuzzSaw

The issue with iron sups is that they're not all created equally (some are worse than others). Also, you need to avoid things like: tea. coffee, dairy, eggs, etc, a few hours of digestion iron as it affects absorption.

Personally, I'm going try HCG monotherapy as HCT is getting high now.

Lockout, not sure who you are asking
Everyone I guess :)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to balance low iron / ferritin levels with frequent donation in my thread HERE.

I started taking nattokinase (4000 fu), and switched my HBP Meds from Quinaprill to Losartan, based on the hematocrit reducing abilities.

My plan going forward is to get CBC, Iron & Ferritin tested around the 7 week mark and then make my decision when to donate. Once I have donated, I will take supplemental iron for 1-2 weeks and then test again at the 7 week mark to see where I'm at. I'm only going to donate if I get above 52% Hematocrit.

I wonder if any of you who have low iron/ferritin and who are scared of taking iron supplements because of the potential raise in hematocrit has tried losartan.
Nelson, I did based on the information I found here. I was taking Quinaprill and switched to Losartan. I have been on it now for about 2 months with no noticeable sides.

If you look at my other thread, it seems to have helped reduce my Hematocrit without donation. (I also lowered my test from 160/week to 140/week during that time).

BuzzSaw

Everyone I guess :)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to balance low iron / ferritin levels with frequent donation in my thread HERE.

I started taking nattokinase (4000 fu), and switched my HBP Meds from Quinaprill to Losartan, based on the hematocrit reducing abilities.

My plan going forward is to get CBC, Iron & Ferritin tested around the 7 week mark and then make my decision when to donate. Once I have donated, I will take supplemental iron for 1-2 weeks and then test again at the 7 week mark to see where I'm at. I'm only going to donate if I get above 52% Hematocrit.

Re iron dosing; I've read that 100mg daily for 20 days should be enough to restore the lost iron after blood donation. You prob know this, but taking vit c with iron aids absorption (but need to avoid: tea, coffee, dairy (also eggs) for a few hours, as it tends to block iron absorption).

How much iron are you taking, and for how long? I'm going to try the Solgar brand (gentle iron), as it seems to be easier on the stomach.

Re iron dosing; I've read that 100mg daily for 20 days should be enough to restore the lost iron after blood donation. You prob know this, but taking vit c with iron aids absorption (but need to avoid: tea, coffee, dairy (also eggs) for a few hours, as it tends to block iron absorption).

How much iron are you taking, and for how long? I'm going to try the Solgar brand (gentle iron), as it seems to be easier on the stomach.

BuzzSaw, check out THIS product. It has a ton of great reviews and Vitamin C built-in. This is what I use.

Concerned wife

Hey, concerned wife here. I wanted to update here, in case it might help someone. We have confirmed that my husband's body is still capable of producing testosterone on it's own, despite the medicine he has to take (which has been implicated as a possible cause). I had tried to tell a couple of doctors that he had very low testosterone BEFORE he ever had to take medicine. We suspected his low testosterone could be related to his very low cortisol - adrenals being exhausted and then those affect other hormones (thyroid), etc. etc.

A few months ago, we started an experiment. We had been very hesitant to use the "big dose" of iodine recommended by Dr. Brownstein and others, because of all the warnings I'd read. However, after talking with a local functional medicine nurse practitioner, we decided to try a short trial and see if he would be any worse for the wear. I had been reading thyroid stuff from all the top practitioners for months and we had struggled with whose advice to take, as there are so many differing opinions.

Anyway, long story short, after doing it for a few weeks last Fall, he had his blood tested. His testosterone number was unbelievably high, by comparison of how it has been for literally YEARS. It was so high, we couldn't believe it. He had also lost almost 10 pounds without even trying. I asked the doctor if thyroid and testosterone could be related (I knew they could, but wanted to see if he did). The doctor told me those were separate issues. I don't hold that against him, because he's a family medicine doc and probably not able to keep up with all the latest hormone research.

We pinned down exactly what changes we had made in the weeks prior to see if we could duplicate these results. We stopped the changes and then he had labs done again 3 months later. The testosterone number that time was the LOWEST it had been in years (less than 200 total T). The nurse talked to the doctor and both were perplexed about how these numbers could be so radically different in only 3 months, from the same lab. We asked if there could be a mistake (either time) by the lab, but they said the numbers come directly out of the machine, that a person does not actually write them down, so the chance of a mistake are slim.

After seeing THOSE numbers (the low ones), we decided to be vigilant about getting the particular supplements in him, that he was taking before (when T levels went up so significantly) so we could have an adequate test. We resumed those again and made sure he got them almost every day (except Sunday, which is his day off). Last week, he had all those labs run again. Guess what?!?! The testosterone was way back UP. We now know definitely that even though his thyroid numbers were coming back "okay", his thyroid (and adrenals and other stuff, I'm sure) DO need extra support, desperately.

His numbers are all not perfect, but all are better and his testosterone went from over 1,000 total T on the supplements to less than 200 total T off the supplements, back up to around 750 total T after 3 months back ON them.

If these numbers are hard to believe, they were hard for us to believe too, but it's reality!

DISCLAIMER: Please do not misconstrue anything I shared as medical advice. I simply wanted to share what has made a difference for my husband. Consult your own holistic doctor or other health practitioner for your personal situation.

Last edited:

ratbag

I have pretty much the same problems. I've been on TRT for years and never had any hemotacrit problems and suddenly it's 58. My MD is not concerned because my platelets are low but in range... in fact when I pull the needle out after injections I have to pinch my skin or I bleed all over the place. If I cut myself shaving it takes 2 hrs to stop bleeding.

I was told this isn't polycemia but rather etherotosis. So my recent understanding is that high hct doesn't automatically imply polycemia. My MD claims polycemia is the concern and not high hct. The hematologist partner in that same practise says I'm fine... I do not take baby aspirin because of this. I too lowered my TRT dosage to 45mg E3D and HCG 550iu E3D and it did nothing to lower my hct. My total testosterone is now 711 and don't feel any worse than I did when it was at 1050.

My ferritin is at the very bottom of range even though I supp good quality iron twice daily w/vit C, I cannot get my ferritin any higher. Even though I'm on thyroid meds and my serum levels are good I am 100% hypothyroid, freezing all the time and dry skin and itchy. Sore joints and muscles, low body temperature, hair stopped growing etc. Low iron symptoms include hypothyroidism there is no way around it. And from my experience so far hypothyroidism caused by low ferritin cannot be corrected until you have normal ferritin levels. I have no idea what to do. But I do drink tea and always have so perhaps it's time to give this up. Somehow I get the feeling it won't help.

I started taking Losartan 3 weeks ago. I believe I'll be getting labs in a month and I'll let you know if there's any change in my hct.

BuzzSaw

Between a rock and a hard place!

The thyroid does need iron to function. Not sure if gels are any different to injections in this case?

I was told this isn't polycemia but rather etherotosis. So my recent understanding is that high hct doesn't automatically imply polycemia. My MD claims polycemia is the concern and not high hct.
Can't find anything on Google for etherotosis. Maybe spelled differently?

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
My ferritin is at the very bottom of range even though I supp good quality iron twice daily w/vit C, I cannot get my ferritin any higher. Even though I'm on thyroid meds and my serum levels are good I am 100% hypothyroid, freezing all the time and dry skin and itchy. Sore joints and muscles, low body temperature, hair stopped growing etc. Low iron symptoms include hypothyroidism there is no way around it. And from my experience so far hypothyroidism caused by low ferritin cannot be corrected until you have normal ferritin levels. I have no idea what to do. But I do drink tea and always have so perhaps it's time to give this up. Somehow I get the feeling it won't help.

I started taking Losartan 3 weeks ago. I believe I'll be getting labs in a month and I'll let you know if there's any change in my hct.

Have you tested for the MTHFR mutation?

You are correct, without iron & ferritin, T3 isn't going to make it to the cells, or at least nowhere near enough of it. T3 serum will definitely go up on thyroid meds as you know, but then it just pools with no effective transport method to the cells. If taking a NDT or T4 levo medication, you will probably notice that there's also a shift to higher levels of Reverse T3 when all of this is taking place(?)

ratbag

Yes sorry about that all my spelling sucks especially with low thyroid and medical terms lol. So search polycemia on this site there are lots of posts on ethrotosis as well

Yes sorry about that all my spelling sucks especially with low thyroid and medical terms lol. So search polycemia on this site there are lots of posts on ethrotosis as well
Well for searching you need the correct spelling too. I think you mean erythrocytosis and polycythemia ;)

Found online: Polycythemia is sometimes called erythrocytosis, but the terms are not synonymous because polycythemia refers to any increase in red blood cells, whereas erythrocytosis only refers to a documented increase of red cell mass.

ratbag

Have you tested for the MTHFR mutation?

You are correct, without iron & ferritin, T3 isn't going to make it to the cells, or at least nowhere near enough of it. T3 serum will definitely go up on thyroid meds as you know, but then it just pools with no effective transport method to the cells. If taking a NDT or T4 levo medication, you will probably notice that there's also a shift to higher levels of Reverse T3 when all of this is taking place(?)

Interestingly when my ferritin at 73 my FT3 goes down to 6. Get my ferritin upto 90 and my FT3 goes upto 7.5(top of range is 7) I'm in Canada so they do not do RT3 here. But with ferritin at 73 I feel very hypothyroid and I can get it to 90 but it doesn't stay there...when its at 90 I feel so much better. I guess I have to stop drinking tea and take more iron.

I never had any iron problems before TRT. I was on TRT for a few years without any iron problems then suddenly it's below range and hard to get back up. My TRT hasn't changed since the beginning. So until the age of 57 my ferritin was actually too high. Then it did the opposite and dropped to bottom of range. Would having the MTHFR mutation mean it's congenital? or do people get it later in life? I just assumed that mutation was congenital. I'll goggle it now.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me