Placebo Controlled Testosterone Trial Finds No Link to Hardening of the Arteries

Buy Lab Tests Online

croaker24

Press release out today. I'd like to see the details of this study, ostensibly a 3-year double blind study using gel, I get the feeling the dosage was likely inadequate.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/abo...sreleases/PressRelease.aspx?sub=0&PageID=2128

The results of this trial suggest that testosterone should not be used indiscriminately by men,” said corresponding author Shalender Bhasin, MD, director of BWH’s Research Program in Men’s Health: Aging and Metabolism and director of the Boston Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center at BWH. “We find that men with low and low normal testosterone are unlikely to derive benefits in terms of sexual function or quality of life, two reasons why men may seek testosterone therapy. And although we find that testosterone did not affect the rate of hardening of the arteries, we need long-term data from large trials to determine testosterone’s effects on other major cardiovascular events.”

To measure secondary outcomes of sexual function and health-related quality of life, the research team had participants also completed a 15-item questionnaire. Participants applied a testosterone or placebo gel daily for three years.

Testosterone and placebo gel for the study were provided by Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and later by Abbvie Pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

HarryCat

Interventions One hundred fifty-six participants were randomized to receive 7.5 g of 1% testosterone and 152 were randomized to receive placebo gel packets daily for 3 years. The dose was adjusted to achieve testosterone levels between 500 and 900 ng/dL.

croaker24

Thanks for that link.

These guys do not appear to be so healthy if I read the tables correctly. Baseline age was 67.6. Avg BMI was 28. In the T group, 40% were obese, 22% had diabetes, 71% had hypertension, 80% had hyperlipidemia?

There is another chart for the T group that showed total T peaking at 6 months, at over 600, and then steadily dropping to below 500 avg at the end of the trial?

I'd like to see Nelson and others take on this trial.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Blood pressure and statin meds can affect sexual function even in the presence of good T levels.

Wow, imagine using a placebo gel for 3 years ???

I will read the paper and I bet I will find deficiencies.

Last edited:

Re-Ride

Testosterone gel has a distinctive smell which changes when it goes bad. I doubt that placebo gel could be made to smell like testosterone. Does the study address this?

CoastWatcher

Testosterone gel has a distinctive smell which changes when it goes bad. I doubt that placebo gel could be made to smell like testosterone. Does the study address this?

Solvay, which supplied the gels, produces Androgel. It has a far less distinctive odor than the other topicals on the market.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Look at these graphs and tell me what you think:

T level.jpg

Sexual function T placebo.jpg

Re-Ride

Solvay, which supplied the gels, produces Androgel. It has a far less distinctive odor than the other topicals on the market.

By the time I reach 67 perhaps my olfactory abilities will have died as well. That could be something to look forward to if reliant on Meals on Wheels :)

How many with normal olfactory ability agree that Solvay A-gel does not have a strikingly unique aroma? Assumption is that I'm smelling the T but it could be the carrier since I have never sniffed any other T topical.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Testim has a nasty smell but women seem to like it. I used it for a month back in the days and women would ask me what cologne I was wearing. I hate cologne.

Re-Ride

Are these "community-residing men" those that live in old age homes? Imagine the abundance of sexual opportunity we can look forward to once we finally check in, T = 300 or not.

HarryCat

By the time I reach 67 perhaps my olfactory abilities will have died as well. That could be something to look forward to if reliant on Meals on Wheels :)

How many with normal olfactory ability agree that Solvay A-gel does not have a strikingly unique aroma? Assumption is that I'm smelling the T but it could be the carrier since I have never sniffed any other T topical.

My wife is extremely sensitive to scents. She couldn't stand the smell of Testim, and neither could I. Androgel did not bother her once the alcohol evaporated. Much like the compounded T I am on now, it has almost no scent, other than the alcohol.

Re-Ride

Did I overlook the design element where pp were asked to differentiate between real A-gel and the placebo gel supplied by Solvay? I'm sure that no one ever breaks open capsules to see if they were given maltodextrin right?

Once any study participant determines that he is given placebo then we can assume that that he won't seek relief from OTC or outside sources right?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me