Anecdotal subjective opinion- high dose zinc has killed my libido

Buy Lab Tests Online

DxHypo

So I started taking ZMA for the 50 mgs of zinc it contains in an effort to bring down my borderline high estradiol levels- last two labs showed 34.9 and 36.6 ref 8.0 - 35 sensitive assay. This is the only change in my protocol in the past 6 -8 weeks. Test levels are around 658 and free test 19 from last lab. My libido has declined very noticeably from a subjective standpoint. As I'm not in a sexual relationship it's not an issue other than adding another confounding variable in this game of testosterone management. On the flip side, due to the ZMA, my sleep quality has improved, so maybe it's a wash on the scorecard. But I think I may ditch the zinc since it hasn't helped the estradiol situation. Thoughts, comments?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I do believe supplementing with zinc and copper is very important, look into the Jarrow brand. I use jarrow zinc balance.

ERO

So I started taking ZMA for the 50 mgs of zinc it contains in an effort to bring down my borderline high estradiol levels- last two labs showed 34.9 and 36.6 ref 8.0 - 35 sensitive assay. This is the only change in my protocol in the past 6 -8 weeks. Test levels are around 658 and free test 19 from last lab. My libido has declined very noticeably from a subjective standpoint. As I'm not in a sexual relationship it's not an issue other than adding another confounding variable in this game of testosterone management. On the flip side, due to the ZMA, my sleep quality has improved, so maybe it's a wash on the scorecard. But I think I may ditch the zinc since it hasn't helped the estradiol situation. Thoughts, comments?

Remember the idea that it is the ratio of E2 to total T that is important, not a static E2 number. When we divide your total T of 658 by your E2 of 36.6 we get 17.9, which is in the ideal ratio range of 14 to 20. Lowing your E2 below the ideal ratio range may lower your libido, and perhaps your zinc supplementation has done that - no way to tell without another sensitive E2 test, though.

At any rate, if your only new variable is the zinc and it seems to have hurt your libido, I'd say stop taking it and see if your libido comes back after a couple of weeks.

CoastWatcher

The values you posted, 34.9 and 36.6 likely reflect the serum variation that is to be found whenever we run labs. It's likely that your E2 is right at 35, sitting squarely on top of the reference range. As ERO noted, you're ratio of T:E is in an excellent spot. I'd set aside the ZMA, see how things are in a few weeks, and test again.

DxHypo

Remember the idea that it is the ratio of E2 to total T that is important, not a static E2 number. When we divide your total T of 658 by your E2 of 36.6 we get 17.9, which is in the ideal ratio range of 14 to 20. Lowing your E2 below the ideal ratio range may lower your libido, and perhaps your zinc supplementation has done that - no way to tell without another sensitive E2 test, though.

At any rate, if your only new variable is the zinc and it seems to have hurt your libido, I'd say stop taking it and see if your libido comes back after a couple of weeks.

I'm still learning the numbers game despite being on trt for 7 or 8 years, albeit mostly self-guided since my pcp is old school. I hadn't thought to look at the ratio so that's good news that I"m in the sweet spot. I'll be retesting next month. Thanks.

DxHypo

The values you posted, 34.9 and 36.6 likely reflect the serum variation that is to be found whenever we run labs. It's likely that your E2 is right at 35, sitting squarely on top of the reference range. As ERO noted, you're ratio of T:E is in an excellent spot. I'd set aside the ZMA, see how things are in a few weeks, and test again.

That sounds like good advice to me. The ZMA hasn't seemed to change the E2 numbers anyway but as posted by ERO that might be a moot point anyway if I'm in the sweet spot.

DxHypo

I might not say it's the Zinc, I'd look to see if what has happened has it driven down your E2.

I'm just going by the only thing that's changed in my protocol with the lab numbers I posted above. I had read on another forum that zinc may affect libido in some people. That's why I wanted to validate on this forum. I don't guess the magnesium would be the cause but who knows?!

DxHypo

Where was your estradiol prior to the last tests that you referenced? Had it been stable?

It's hard to say. All prior tests were done with the standard assay for E2 and were way higher values that apparently had no real relationship to what was really going on. It was only after I started reading this forum that I understood why a sensitive assay was better. I've probably learned more good information reading this forum in the past 2 months than I had on all the other forums I've read in the past 4 or 5 years. Thanks.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me