What happens to the carbs?

Buy Lab Tests Online

lcvl

Not all carbs are created equal. Not all fats are bad. Not all proteins are good.
You just can't demonize a macronutrient. It's chemistry, not something we should have any emotional attachment to.
Demonizing carbs: we already made that mistake in the recent past with fats. We're making the same mistake again. Just saying a macronutrient is bad is such a simplistic approach to dieting. Eliminating completely a macronutrient from your diet is not gonna work for most people in the long run. A more sustainable approach would be to look at the quality of the food source (always as natural and unprocessed as possible, in most cases).

A balanced diet of plenty of lean protein + fruit and vegetables + healthy fats + more calorically dense carbs (depending on sex, age, activity level, etc.) works great for most people.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Davet

Great thread Vince....sums it up nicely.
I have researched this a great deal and I think eventually the bods at the top who make the recommendations are starting to take note.

Vince

Super Moderator
One of the problems with fruit, it's genetically modified to taste good. Modified to taste like candy and high in sugar.

madman

Super Moderator
Regardless of following a low carb/high fat vs high carb/low fat diet, the total calories consumed vs calories burned is the most critical aspect of diet whether a person is trying to gain or lose weight.

Whether one trains naturally or is on trt eating a higher carbohydrate diet is better for muscle growth vs low carb.

A lot of people especially on trt that follow low carb diets are missing out on making better gains in lean mass.

I can guarantee you that eating more carbs mainly from complex sources (beans, lentils, oatmeal, barley, quinoa/low GI rice (parboiled basmati/uncle bens parboiled), sweet potato, yams, and whole-grain pasta will make your muscles fuller and stronger, give you better pumps and allow one to train more intensely (harder/heavier) while increasing overall recovery.

Most people following low-carb diets tend to have that flat/deflated look due to a lack of glycogen stores.

The human body is actually capable of storing 500 grams of carbs in the muscle/liver which would equate to 2000 calories from carbs alone. Carbs are stored in the muscle cells as glycogen and for every gram of glycogen stored it will pull in roughly 3 grams of water (intra-cellular) making the muscles fuller and harder.

I am not against people that follow low-carb diets but how one responds to carbs and insulin all comes down to genetics which will always have the final say.

Sure low carbs can be very effective for losing body fat in certain individuals but for gaining lean muscle mass carbs cannot be beaten.

This is a pic of me when I was consuming 3500 calories/day eating 500 grams of complex carbs daily......yes 500 every day (2000 cal)......250 grams of protein (1000 cal).........and 4 TBSP fat (EVOO/SALMON OIL) (480 cal).

I would say genetics plays a huge role in how one responds to CARBOHYDRATES!

Vince

Super Moderator
I eat according to my labs. Coronary artery disease runs in my family. When I eat low carbs and good fats, I get great labs from Cleveland Heart Clinic. I also get my artery plaque check, I strongly feel it's something I need to control. I'm sure we eat for different reasons.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Please let me careful with pasting too much information from websites. I have been fined once and had to pay $600 for using a copyright picture.

lcvl

I totally agree.

Regardless of following low carb/high fat vs high carb/low fat the total calories consumed vs calories burned is the most critical aspect of diet whether a person is trying to gain or loose weight. I strongly feel that whether one trains naturally or is on trt that eating a higher carbohydrate diet is better for muscle growth vs low carb. I feel that a lot of people especially on trt that follow low carb diets are missing out on making better gains in lean mass. I can guarantee you that eating more carbs mainly from complex sources ( beans/lentils/oatmeal/barley/quinoa/low gi rice (basmati/uncle bens parboiled)/sweet potatoe/yams/pasta) will make your muscles fuller/stronger/better pumps/ better recovery/ more intensity when training and energy to lift heavy and hard. Take a look around most people following low carb diets they all have flat muscles. The human body is actually capable of storing 500 grams of carbs in the musle/liver which would equate to 2000 calories from carbs alone. Carbs are stored in the muscle cells as glycogen and for every gram of glycogen stored it will pull in roughly 3 grams of intracellular water along with it making the muscles fuller and harder. I am not against people that follow low carb diets but how one responds to carbs and insulin all comes down to genetics which will always have the final say. Sure low carb can be very effective for losing body fat in certain individualsView attachment 2653 but for gaining lean muscle mass carbs cannot be beaten.This is a pic of me when I was consuming 3500 calories/day eating 500 grams of complex carbs daily......yes 500 everyday (2000 cal)......300 grams of protein daily yes overkill but oh well (1200 cal).........and only 2 tablespoons of fish oil as my only fat source (240 cal)......GLA 6 capsule (60 cal) I was not DIETING and absolutely NO CARDIO.........I would say genetics plays a huge role in how one responds to CARBOHYDRATES!

rhino5169

I also get my artery plaque check, I strongly feel it's something I need to control. I'm sure we eat for different reasons.

Vince,w
Vince, what specific test are you doing to check plaque? As far as I know you can check inflammation (hs-crp) but there's no way to know how much plaque is going on but if there is I need to know, im in the same boat as you with that.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince,w
Vince, what specific test are you doing to check plaque? As far as I know you can check inflammation (hs-crp) but there's no way to know how much plaque is going on but if there is I need to know, im in the same boat as you with that.

Heart scan scores, or “calcium scores,” provide an index of the quantity of atherosclerotic plaque in the coronary arteries. They quantify plaque and provide an index that can be tracked over time to assess the success or failure of various preventive efforts. Several studies have demonstrated that, without preventive efforts, calcium scores can be expected to increase between 15-40% per year.
Coronary Calcium Scan
Also known as calcium scan test.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cscan/

Vince

Super Moderator
Dr. David Unwin is a remarkable doctor. I (not me :)) had the privilege of meeting him recently at at the Breckenridge conference, where he spoke. He's got a fantastic story to tell, how he transformed his practice into helping patients with type 2 diabetes reverse their disease using low carb.In this talk he shares the practicalities of type 2 diabetes reversal, and many of the amazing patient stories he's witnessed. Watch a segment above (transcript).

Leesto

Dr. David Unwin is a remarkable doctor. I (not me :)) had the privilege of meeting him recently at at the Breckenridge conference, where he spoke. He's got a fantastic story to tell, how he transformed his practice into helping patients with type 2 diabetes reverse their disease using low carb.In this talk he shares the practicalities of type 2 diabetes reversal, and many of the amazing patient stories he's witnessed. Watch a segment above (transcript).

That's interesting Vince. I'm going to look up the video.

I'm one example of a person who tried just about every diet and pill and protocol to help manage type II diabetes but only after 20 years did I find the low-carb (Keto) diet which finally reversed it. Not only that but it eliminated most of my inflammation-related aches and pains, hypertension, low energy levels, and enabled me to exercise hard again. I try not to lecture people about it but I had such a dramatic health reversal that everyone around me notices the difference.

Vince

Super Moderator
That's interesting Vince. I'm going to look up the video.

I'm one example of a person who tried just about every diet and pill and protocol to help manage type II diabetes but only after 20 years did I find the low-carb (Keto) diet which finally reversed it. Not only that but it eliminated most of my inflammation-related aches and pains, hypertension, low energy levels, and enabled me to exercise hard again. I try not to lecture people about it but I had such a dramatic health reversal that everyone around me notices the difference.

I do post a lot about low-carb diet. When I'm around family and friends, I try not to talk about low-carb. I find most people have a very hard time sticking to it. But my oldest son went low carb, and he gets a lot of complements on how good he looks.

Leesto

I do post a lot about low-carb diet. When I'm around family and friends, I try not to talk about low-carb. I find most people have a very hard time sticking to it. But my oldest son went low carb, and he gets a lot of complements on how good he looks.

Congratulations to your son Vince! And to you for the success you have enjoyed with TRT and your diet and supplement protocol.

Vince

Super Moderator
The Skinny on Sweeteners
The Skinny on Sweeteners

By Dr. Adam Nally, D.O.
I am frequently asked about the sweeteners that can be used with a low carbohydrate diet. There are a number of sweeteners available that can be used with cooking; however, many of them are not appropriate for use with a low carbohydrate diet.

https://www.docmuscles.com/the-skinny-on-sweeteners/

Vince

Super Moderator
These Mice Stopped Eating Carbs So You (Maybe) Don't Have To
In the ever-more masochistic world of wellness-boosting, pound-shedding diets, the latest trend involves putting your body into a controlled state of starvation known as “ketogenesis,” by cutting out nearly all carbs. If that doesn't sound like your particular brand of torture, guess what? You're already on it. Well, at least while you're sleeping.Two independent studies published Tuesday in the journal Cell Metabolism raise hopes that ketogenic diets, if followed full-time, do more than just slim waists. They also appear to improve the odds of living longer and remembering better … if you're a mouse. The same effects have yet to be proven in humans, and plans for that are in the works. But in the meantime, self-experimenting biohackers (i.e. dieters) are collecting anecdotal evidence all around the world.

https://www.wired.com/story/ketogeni...r-as-they-age/

Choosing a way of eating is interesting stuff.

I can say when I'm Ketogenic I feel mentally sharper. My mood improves drastically. I have zero desire to eat anything sweet.

I also don't give a rat's ass if anyone I know eats like I do. I don't push it on anyone. I don't care if it's not sustainable for most people, I'm not in the fitness industry why should I care what is good for the general population?

The thing I don't understand is that most of us here are largely flipping our middle finger at conventional wisdom if we are on TRT. My regular physician things my T-Levels are way too high and should be around 400. I nod my head and go on.

If someone here bucks the standard with regard to the typical diet and it's working for them, I just think nice job I'm glad you found something that works. I fully understand that while I get a high from eating low-carb the next guy will feel like complete dog shit. From having seen these arguments for 15 years or so I've decided the hell with being an evangelist.

In roughly 4 years my triglycerides and cholesterol have decreased a little. I also am kicking around the idea of jacking up the calories for a 1-2 month stint like the Madman recommends. Maybe slightly longer if it's feeling good but I'll only do that when I get my sleep pattern down. I personally have a tendency to want to binge when I get back on carbs, and for me at least using the Madman protocol will require far more mental discipline... When you wake up and eat eggs/bacon, some kind of meat/cheese for lunch and either beef/pork/chicken for dinner every night you really don't need to be disciplined or strong willed. I walk right past the two pounds of sugar sweets sitting on the counter right now.

SoCal Guy

This guy is a fifty year old orthopedic surgeon, has eaten nothing but meat for six months, and since switching to a meat-only diet has become the world record holder in his age class for rowing (and setting new records every week.)

No TRT either.

He's running a crowd-sourced group trial of people willing to try a carnivorous diet and share their results. The website is http://nequalsmany.com/ The first wave has already started, but the second wave is accepting signups if anyone's interested in participating.

Some forum entries: http://nequalsmany.com/forums/topic/how-is-everyone-doing/

I think it won't be all that long before people will look back in amazement that it was assumed that huge quantities of carbs -- or even any carbs -- were required for optimum health.

And below, at left, is him six years younger, but when he was still eating carbs. (At right is him present-day, on a meat & water-only diet.) Again, no supplemental testosterone.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching