DEXA scan to detect osteopenia

Buy Lab Tests Online

Hammer

Has anyone out there on testosterone therapy had a bone density scan? My doc is telling me that scans should be taken every 2 years to check bone density thus reducing the risk of osteopenia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

Has anyone out there on testosterone therapy had a bone density scan? My doc is telling me that scans should be taken every 2 years to check bone density thus reducing the risk of osteopenia.

I had one when starting trt, and am scheduled for one at the two year mark. I did have moderate osteopenia and ramped.up weight bearing exercise as a result.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Hammer

Your doctor seems good. For men over 50, it is not a bad idea to get a DEXA scan.

Some doctors gp beyond that and ask for a full body DEXA scan to determine not only bone density but also muscle and fat in every part of your body. I had one of these done and was happy to see my good results (they needed to velcro my arms so that they could fit on scanner bed LOL)

DEXA scanner.jpg

dexa full body.jpg

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
To improve bone density:

1- Do not tank your estradiol
2- Keep your testosterone (total) over 400 ng/dL
3- Work out with weights or with your own body weight.
4- Eat calcium rich foods
5- Take at least 4000 IU of vitamin D per day.

FOX1

DEXA Scan

I had a DEXA Scan prior to Testosterone Therapy, I broke my neck & Back due to accident at work, further investigation via Dexa Scan found Osteopenia (a weakening of the bones) lower bone density, they suspect this was due to low "Free testosterone" & Low vit D (Scotland)

I have now been on Testo Gel for 11 months and started working out with free weights, cycling and hill walking

Will see how this helps my next DEXA Scan in 12 months time (every 2 years)

Vince

Super Moderator
I had a bone density scans done before I started TRT, at my request. It did show I have the start of bone loss.

Re-Ride

IMO radiation from dexiscan outweighs the possible benefit. Never picked up the bone loss in my upper spine that eventually led to stenosis. You might consider just getting the wrist.

KSPhD

The amount of radiation you get from a single DEXA scan is small. Roughly 1/20th a chest x-ray or less than the amount you will receive during a transatlantic flight. In fact, you get the same background radiation each day (~0.01 mSv) from soil, rocks, radon, sun, etc...that you would get from a scan. Hardly worth worrying about.

Re-Ride

Ksphd, radiation exposure is,a complex . It's all about the odds and a particle that might lead to a tumor years down the road. Cumulative load is one gator. Radon gas is nasty business for example. Im unable to believe a rock or my garden presents the same risk as a radiologic exam. The point of my post though was why bother with DEXA at all unless you do a full body scan? I had many of these over the years with negative findings yet was looking bone where it most counts. Consider the supposed low risk of eating Pacific fish. You are fine until you eat the wrong one and invest cesium.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me