Whey Protein

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
Clint, I no longer use whey protein, but when I did The best price for WPI (whey protein isolate) that I have found was at musclefeast.com. Their source (the last time I ordered) was New Zealand whey. For good prices, I also used trueprotein.com and proteinfactory.com.

T-dog

I personally use Vitamin Shoppe's Bodytech because it's not too expensive (as far as protein powder goes) and tastes great. I stick with the chocolate flavor. I also use their Cassein powder. Plus I eat chicken, eggs, beef...all that kind of protein from solid foods.

I use the Whey as a hopefully fast metabolizing protein after working out, and the Cassein as a slow metabolizing protein when I have it with a snack during the day and before bedtime.

On a semi-related subject, I combine the whey with CytoCarb2 that I get from Amazon for my post-workout shake. It's tasteless, affordable, and scalable depending on how many scoops you put in or need.

Keep in mind I haven't made much progress in two years. I'm hoping it's because I have low T and almost no Estrogen. I don't feel a lot different but from December 20th (when I started TRT) to February 1st (43 days)...I went from 195 lbs, 13.9% bodyfat to 198.5 lbs, 12.9% bodyfat. That's a 1.5 lb decrease in bodyfat and almost a 5 lb increase in lean body mass at the same time.

***PLEASE let me continue to make progress. I've worked so hard for so long to get nothing out of it, I've got to have some muscle karma coming my way. :cool:***

Phoenix

Recently I've bought protein at Sams Club. They have carried MuscleTech, EAS, and Arnold's brand. It averages between $30 to $35 for five pounds.

KeyserSöze

Clint,

The type of protein supplement will depend on the intended usage and desired results. Many proteins on the market contain more grams of Carbohydrates per serving than Protein. For high intensity and/or recovery, this CAN be OK, but the same would not be said if the intent is to lean out. Timing of protein intake is also key to successful and efficient absorption.

Can you provide some more detail on the timing and desired effects/results.

Thanks!

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
I use Optimal Nutrition's super micronized (double chocolate as it tastes great!) as it's the only micronized whey protein powder I know of and this equates to a much higher bio available uptake.

I am looking to lose some fat at the same time gain some muscle and size. I have lost about 15 pounds so far I(my body fat % has dropped 2 % so my lean mass is increasing as well). I usually take it 30 minutes max after my workout. Last night I did 8 ounces of milk, 2 scoops of the protein powder, and 3 tbsp. of peanut butter...it was great! I have the EAS brand right now but wondered if there was a certain brand that was better, etc.

I agree with Gene........I've been using Optimum Nutrition's protein for about 15 years. Here in Atlanta you can get it at Ingle's Market grocery stores. You can look them up online too. It tastes great, mixes well......two scoops gives you 46g of the best whey on the market. Optimum is priced very well too. Just under 40 bucks for 5lbs.

KeyserSöze

Clint: based on your goals, you should look for an isolate with BCAAs. The above suggested products are both quality; I'll add some specificity and yet another optionto align with your goals:
- Zero Carb Isopure
- Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey
- Dymatize ISO100

If possible, you should attempt to consume your liquid protein (~40 grams of Protein) within 15 minutes after your workout completion. You might find that you'll achieve your goals faster if you eliminate the milk and PB from the Post WorkOut (PWO) shake and just mix with water.

As you near the BF% that you desire, you can begin to incorporate some Carbs into the PWO shake.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
[h=2]Whey Protein May Help Build Muscles[/b]Study Suggests Benefits of Eating Whey Protein After Exercise
By Bill Hendrick
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

March 15, 2011 -- Eating whey protein may help build muscle mass even if the dairy substance is taken a day after a workout session, a new study indicates.
Researchers at McMaster University in Canada and the University of Nottingham in England recruited 15 young men, all experienced in performing resistance exercise.
The participants underwent testing to measure the rate of muscle building under two conditions: after eating 15 grams of whey protein at rest and 24 hours after a round of resistance exercise.
During the exercise portion of the study, each participant performed these activities: lifted a heavy load on a leg extension machine until fatigue; a light load until fatigue; or a light load in which the workout session was stopped before fatigue set in.
[h=3]Whey Protein After Workout[/b]Each man returned to the laboratory 24 hours later and ate 15 grams of whey protein, a common dairy constituent.
Results indicate that regardless of the type of exercise load, muscle building increased after eating whey.
The findings suggest that muscles may make better use of dietary amino acids eaten 24 hours after exercise, regardless of exercise load as long as the exercise is being performed until fatigue.
The researchers say their findings suggest insights about how exercise can provide benefits to lean muscle mass growth and maintenance.
The study is published in the April 2011 issue of TheJournal of Nutrition.

KeyserSöze

Whey Protein May Help Build Muscles

Study Suggests Benefits of Eating Whey Protein After Exercise
By Bill Hendrick
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

March 15, 2011 -- Eating whey protein may help build muscle mass even if the dairy substance is taken a day after a workout session, a new study indicates.
Researchers at McMaster University in Canada and the University of Nottingham in England recruited 15 young men, all experienced in performing resistance exercise.
The participants underwent testing to measure the rate of muscle building under two conditions: after eating 15 grams of whey protein at rest and 24 hours after a round of resistance exercise.
During the exercise portion of the study, each participant performed these activities: lifted a heavy load on a leg extension machine until fatigue; a light load until fatigue; or a light load in which the workout session was stopped before fatigue set in.
Whey Protein After Workout

Each man returned to the laboratory 24 hours later and ate 15 grams of whey protein, a common dairy constituent.
Results indicate that regardless of the type of exercise load, muscle building increased after eating whey.
The findings suggest that muscles may make better use of dietary amino acids eaten 24 hours after exercise, regardless of exercise load as long as the exercise is being performed until fatigue.
The researchers say their findings suggest insights about how exercise can provide benefits to lean muscle mass growth and maintenance.
The study is published in the April 2011 issue of TheJournal of Nutrition.

Vince: are you advocating the use of Whey or providing some insight on the timing of intake? I ask because I am a staunch supporter of Whey supplementation, but think that we could/should discuss the most effective timing of protein intake/absorption for optimal muscle fiber repair.

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Clint: based on your goals, you should look for an isolate with BCAAs. The above suggested products are both quality; I'll add some specificity and yet another optionto align with your goals:
- Zero Carb Isopure
- Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey
- Dymatize ISO100

If possible, you should attempt to consume your liquid protein (~40 grams of Protein) within 15 minutes after your workout completion. You might find that you'll achieve your goals faster if you eliminate the milk and PB from the Post WorkOut (PWO) shake and just mix with water.

As you near the BF% that you desire, you can begin to incorporate some Carbs into the PWO shake.

Your thoughts:

I take one shake about 30 minutes before training with a cup of 2% milk...I like a little milk fat with the shake. I also add in one scoop each of BCAA with Glutamine, Creatine and Beta Alanine.

I take the same immediately after training.

KeyserSöze

Your thoughts:

I take one shake about 30 minutes before training with a cup of 2% milk...I like a little milk fat with the shake. I also add in one scoop each of BCAA with Glutamine, Creatine and Beta Alanine.

I take the same immediately after training.

Gene: I like everything in your shake A LOT, except I am not a fan of the milk mixed in (before or after the workout).
Before: Milk is known to cause insulin to spike and that reaction will likely have negative effects on your energy system(s).
After: Fat will slow the absorption of your protein when you need it most (within 15 minutes of exercise).

PWO Carbs can be beneficial if your goal is to increase mass without much concern for BF%...this is usually the case when the individual is already at the desired BF% or after a particularly challenging workout training the Anaerobic Glycotic/Lactic Energy System.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince: are you advocating the use of Whey or providing some insight on the timing of intake? I ask because I am a staunch supporter of Whey supplementation, but think that we could/should discuss the most effective timing of protein intake/absorption for optimal muscle fiber repair.
I can't use whey, I carry two of the type 1 diabetic genes. Because of that I eat very low carb and I have not eaten grains for over 4 years. The only dairy I eat is block cheese and eggs. I do use metformin but Im not type 1 or type 2 diabitic. The bottom line is if I use whey my insulin level rises.

I too like the consistency the milk provides in mine. Water does not give it a great taste in my opinion. I use either 1% or Skim milk usually. This weekend I used the almond milk (which has more protein and less calories and fat) and it was just as good. I also went down from 3 scoops of PB to just 2 and it tasted just as great.

mike7

I've never seen this brand/site before, but am crazy interested. Do you have any experience with their "Custom Mix" products?
I really like the java mocha and the cake batter flavor is awesome! I typically use the 1/2 flavor option and think it offers enough taste without being over done.

The owner, Dante, is the person responsible for the DoggCrapp training protocol and he formed the company to try to offer legit stuff at good prices.

If you use my discount code, MLRD749, they'll give you 5% to 10% off of your order. Disclaimer: I don't receive monetary compensation and I don't work for TN but if enough people use my code they send me free protein along with my order.

ETA - Look at the page for Acetyl L-Carnitine and you'll notice at the bottom that they reference studies to support their claims: http://truenutrition.com/p-973-acetyl-l-carnitine-500mg-capsules-100-capsules.aspx? Who else does that?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me