1 Mineral for Everything: Magnesium

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker and lowers systolic blood pressure by 8 mm Hg and diastolic blood pressure by between 3.8 and 7.6 mm Hg .

HealthMan

Magnesium effect on testosterone–SHBG association studied by a novel molecular chromatography approach

A biochromatographic approach is developed to measure for the first time thermodynamic data and magnesium (Mg2+) effect for the binding of testosterone (TT) to sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) in a wide temperature range. For this, the SHBG was immobilized on a chromatographic support. It was established that this novel SHBG column was stable during an extended period of time. The affinity of TT to SHBG is high and changes slightly with the Mg2+ concentration because the number of Mg2+ linked to binding is low. The determination of the testosterone retention with the steroid hormone at different Mg2+ concentrations and temperatures demonstrated that the Mg2+ binding heat effect associated with this Mg2+ release or uptake during this binding was in magnitude around 17 kJ/mol corresponding to the model describing the electrostatic attraction that occurs between the negatively charged non specific areas of SHBG and the positively charged of magnesium. At all the magnesium concentrations studied, the ΔH values were negative due to van der Waals interactions and hydrogen bonding which are engaged at the complex interface confirming strong TT–SHBG hydrogen bond networks. As well, the ΔS values were all positive due to hydrophobic forces in the testosterone–SHBG complex formation. In addition our results suggest that adaptive conformational transitions contribute to the specific testosterone–SHBG complex formation. As well, in the biological Mg2+ concentration domain, it was clearly demonstrated that there was an uncompetitive inhibition of Mg2+ on TT–SHBG binding which led an enhancement of bioavailable TT. Our work indicated that our biochromatographic approach could soon become very attractive for study other SHBG–steroid (or phytoestrogen) binding.

OMI100

Can someone put this into simple English so it can be understood?
"it was clearly demonstrated that there was an uncompetitive inhibition of Mg[SUP]2+[/SUP] on TT–SHBG binding which led an enhancement of bioavailable TT. Our work indicated that our biochromatographic approach could soon become very attractive for study other SHBG–steroid (or phytoestrogen) binding."
as this seems to be the conclusion of the paper?

Gman86

That’s interesting, I’ve recently been researching this exact thing. How magnesium can decrease SHBG. I have a very low magnesium RBC level, and a high SHBG. 47 (18-50).

In the process of learning about how to get my magnesium level up, I have come across multiple studies stating that increasing magnesium levels can decrease SHBG and consequently increase free testosterone levels.

OMI100

Can someone put this into simple English so it can be understood?
"it was clearly demonstrated that there was an uncompetitive inhibition of Mg[SUP]2+[/SUP] on TT–SHBG binding which led an enhancement of bioavailable TT. Our work indicated that our biochromatographic approach could soon become very attractive for study other SHBG–steroid (or phytoestrogen) binding."
as this seems to be the conclusion of the paper?
So the simple English version of this study is:
"In the process of learning about how to get my magnesium level up, I have come across multiple studies stating that increasing magnesium levels can decrease SHBG and consequently increase free testosterone levels. :

HealthMan

MY SHBG fluctuates from 18-27 and i think there might be a connection to magnesium. If i am not mistaken when i was supplementing with magnesium twice a day my levels were lower

Gman86

MY SHBG fluctuates from 18-27 and i think there might be a connection to magnesium. If i am not mistaken when i was supplementing with magnesium twice a day my levels were lower

This would make sense. In studies, magnesium has been shown to lower SHBG, and increase free T. The problem is I’ve only seen this in studies, never any anectodal reports. So that would be awesome if the magnesium was the cause for your lower SHBG. I’d love to see this happen more often, anectodally.

Vince

Super Moderator
Magnesium and Calcium Scores

Researchers from Northwestern University School of Medicine in Chicago measured calcium scores in a study of 2,977 men and women. Measurements at the start of the study were taken when the participants were 18 to 30 years old. The coronary artery calcium levels were measured again 15 years later. The researchers found that magnesium intake was inversely related to coronary artery calcium levels.

Researchers from the Framingham Heart Study in Massachusetts concluded that magnesium intake is inversely associated with with coronary artery calcification. The study had 2,695 participants aged 42 to 64 years old. Stronger inverse associations were observed in women than in men. Magnesium Intake Is Inversely Associated With Coronary Artery Calcification

Magnesium seems to balance calcium by keeping it dissolved to a certain extent if your intake of magnesium is sufficient.
Magnesium may be acting as a calcium antagonist. In calcified vessels, hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2) is the most abundant type of crystal. Magnesium may directly inhibit hydroxyapatite and crystal precipitation. However, We know that cardiovascular disease is a multifactorial disease and magnesium is only one of the factors influencing the disease.

Studies have shown that women taking calcium supplements had a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. Would eating too much yogurt, cheese, and ice cream lead to increased calcium scores because of the extra calcium intake? My wife and I ate a lot of high calcium foods and we didn’t have a high calcium score. We weren’t taking magnesium supplements back then.

Calcium status can be corrected by restoring Vitamin D, correcting dysbiosis (which increases intestinal calcium absorption) and by removing all grains because they cause urinary calcium loss. Some people take magnesium supplements but they don’t take enough. Some take too much and that is not recommended.

Vince

Super Moderator
Magnesium Intake Is Inversely Associated With Coronary Artery Calcification:
The Framingham Heart Study

doi:10.1016/j.jcmg.2013.10.006

The subtitle tells us, unsurprisingly, that the data set is based on those SADsacks in the FHS, and the dietary details were reliant on the ever-iffy FFQs (as is FHS itself). Mg intake was largely based on FFQ-reported food, plus reported supplement use (but that didn’t drill down to compound forms, and retail Mg supps range from absorbed mineral forms to frank laxatives).

What was tested (and in the FHS archival data) was serum Mg, and not RBC-Mg.

Perhaps of interest:
… each participant underwent 8-slice MDCT scanning consisting of 2 chest scans and 1 abdominal scan (Lightspeed Ultra, General Electric Medical Systems, Milwaukee, Wisconsin) during a single end-inspiratory breath-hold. For CAC, 48 contiguous 2.5-mm-thick slices were acquired in each scan.

They had this data, but didn’t report the details in the paper:
Models were adjusted for age, sex, body mass index, smoking status, systolic blood pressure, fasting insulin, total-to-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio, use of hormone replacement therapy (women only), menopausal status (women only), treatment for hyperlipidemia, hypertension, cardiovascular disease prevention, or diabetes, as well as self-reported intake of calcium, vitamins D and K, saturated fat, fiber, alcohol, and energy.

So what was an "extreme" Mg intake?
We excluded participants from this analysis if they had missing or uninterpretable CT scans (n = 278); had clinically apparent CVD (n = 136), defined as CABG, valve replacement, percutaneous coronary stent placement, pacemaker, stroke, CHF, MI, or coronary insufficiency identified or occurring prior to the date of the clinic exam (35); had missing or invalid dietary information (n = 172, reporting <600 or ≥4,000 kcal/day for women, <600 or ≥4,200 kcal/day for men, or with ≥12 blank items); self-reported extreme values of magnesium or calcium intake (n = 48, with intake values in the 0.5th or 99.5th percentile); or were missing complete covariate information (n = 200, as defined subsequently). After exclusions, 2,695 participants remained in the present analyses.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I am using this product (checked the data on Magnesium Supplement information - covers deficiency, benefits, dosage & more )

magnesium supplement excelmale.jpg

I checked magnesium in my red blood cells and it was 6 mg/dL

MarcoFL

I am using this product (checked the data on Magnesium Supplement information - covers deficiency, benefits, dosage & more )

View attachment 19520

I checked magnesium in my red blood cells and it was 6 mg/dL

Nelson, are you still on this how many mg did it take to get you at 6.0 RBC? what was yours previous? I have been taking 400mg a day of glycinate and just cut my Bystolic in half. We are traveling so I have not checked by BP but my heart rate keeps going down. Hope to check it soon but will be back in USA in a month so will then. I had mild elevation of BP.

DorianGray

"...A more ideal water is Noah's spring water bottled from the Adobe Springs in California. Noah's California
Spring Water contains 110 mg/L of magnesium, but only 3 mg/L of calcium and 5 mg/L of
sodium. It also contains 529 mg/L of bicarbonate ions and has a pH of 8.3.
This is where I get my magnesium. Get it free at Adobe, great tasting water. Thanks to Paul Mason owner of the property. (sadly, passed away now) He was featured in a issue of Life Extension some years ago.
Magnesium-Deficiency Catastrophe: The Magnesium Web Site

Vince

Super Moderator
This is where I get my magnesium. Get it free at Adobe, great tasting water. Thanks to Paul Mason owner of the property. (sadly, passed away now) He was featured in a issue of Life Extension some years ago.
Magnesium-Deficiency Catastrophe: The Magnesium Web Site

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching