Peter Langsjoen, MD discusses why we should take Coenzyme Q10

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
Here is an excellent video by Dr. Langsjoen, he's a huge CoQ10 proponent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Great video. Worth the 40 min.

I have taken CoQ10 for 20 years. My gingivitis went away. I also have not had a heart issue even with risks factors. I take 300 mg per day.

Lessons from the lecture:

If you are on statins, have gingivitis and reduced heart ejection fraction, take this supplement. The speaker recommends 150 mg three times per day. I take it for protection.

Try taking the reduced form called ubiquinol for better absorption. Do not take Coenzyme Q10 with vitamin E since E may lower CoQ10.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I would think that an aggressive regimen of CoQ10 would be hugely beneficial. If one were inclined, a before and after oxidized LDL test would give hard data to the theory. I'm inclined to just take the CoQ10 to therapeutic levels and trust that I'm reducing oxidized LDL.

croaker24

Why would CoQ10 in the form of ubiquinol help with gingivitis? As someone who has fought mild gingivitis in my top left gum for years, I'm thinking of giving this a try.

Vince

Super Moderator
croaker, Dr. Langsjoen starts the process in the mouth, you're supposed to suck it out of the softgel. I just slowly chew mine.

Vince

Super Moderator
I thought would add this.
Our HPLC method measures only alpha tocopherol. Most people who are not supplemented with alpha tocopherol have a level above 12 ug/ml, just from their diet. We have data on thousands of patients and just about none are deficient in vitamin E (<6.0 ug/ml) except for one case, a child who had a fat malabsorption problem. In fact, our vitamin E level increases with CoQ10 supplementation because CoQ10 'spares' our vitamin E.

The interference with CoQ10 absorption has been found with alpha tocopherol and ubiquinone by a Finnish group, led by Kaikkonen and we have also seen it (we presented it as a poster at a CoQ10 conference in 2005). With more than 300 IU alpha tocopherol/day added to CoQ10, not only does plasma CoQ10 level go down (by as much as 30%) but also the % oxidized CoQ10 increases. We have seen the same effect with ubiquinol supplementation.

We have no experience with other tocopherols or tocotrienols.

As far as the oxidized CoQ10 goes, we calculate % oxidized Q10 (ubiquinone) of total Q10 (sum of ubiquinone plus ubiquinol) and in our experience in healthy (CoQ10 unsupplemented) people, in plasma this is less that 2%. In CoQ10 supplemented people this % oxidized Q10 goes down even lower, often to <1%. Tissue % oxidized CoQ10 levels are much higher, but this is much more difficult to study.

Our body has enzyme systems which reduce CoQ10 to its reduced, ubiquinol form and other enzymes which oxidize it back to ubiquinone form. Both CoQ10 forms are vital. Ubiquinone is essential to our production of energy (ATP) and ubiquinol is essential for our antioxidant defense.

It is all pretty complex but I hope this helps,

Alena

Vince

Super Moderator
Ophthalmologica. 2005 May-Jun;219(3):154-66.
Improvement of visual functions and fundus alterations in early age-related macular degeneration treated with a combination of acetyl-L-carnitine, n-3 fatty acids, and coenzyme Q10.

Feher J, Kovacs B, Kovacs I, Schveoller M, Papale A, Balacco Gabrieli C.
Author information

Ophthalmic Neuroscience Program, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Rome, Italy. [email protected]

Abstract

The aim of this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial was to determine the efficacy of a combination of acetyl-L-carnitine, n-3 fatty acids, and coenzyme Q10 (Phototrop) on the visual functions and fundus alterations in early age-related macular degeneration (AMD). One hundred and six patients with a clinical diagnosis of early AMD were randomized to the treated or control groups. The primary efficacy variable was the change in the visual field mean defect (VFMD) from baseline to 12 months of treatment, with secondary efficacy parameters: visual acuity (Snellen chart and ETDRS chart), foveal sensitivity as measured by perimetry, and fundus alterations as evaluated according to the criteria of the International Classification and Grading System for AMD. The mean change in all four parameters of visual functions showed significant improvement in the treated group by the end of the study period. In addition, in the treated group only 1 out of 48 cases (2%) while in the placebo group 9 out of 53 (17%) showed clinically significant (>2.0 dB) worsening in VFMD (p = 0.006, odds ratio: 10.93). Decrease in drusen-covered area of treated eyes was also statistically significant as compared to placebo when either the most affected eyes (p = 0.045) or the less affected eyes (p = 0.017) were considered. These findings strongly suggested that an appropriate combination of compounds which affect mitochondrial lipid metabolism, may improve and subsequently stabilize visual functions, and it may also improve fundus alterations in patients affected by early AMD.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15947501

Gianluca Bonetti

interestingly I was reading the 5 supplement to use over 40s and I decided to look into a few of them including coQ10, after almost a day of researching the difference btw ubiquinol and CoQ10 (ubiquinone) I decided to go with ubiquinol, for example life extension, for Parkinson related issue, suggest 200mg to 300mg of Ubiquinol or 1200mg to 2400Mg of Q10, I mean is there that much of the difference in absorption btw the two?

Vince

Super Moderator
CoQ10 the oxidized state (ubiquinone), but once in the body it readily goes into the reduced state (ubiquinol), which is its active, anti-oxidant form. Ubiquinol predominates in body.
Only oil-based CoQ10 is absorbed.
Key component of ATP energy generation. Crucial for heart, liver and kidneys. Plays a role in reducing blood pressure.

I'm statins for years but unfortunately Q10 is very expensive so I take only 100mg.
200-300mg would be the best dosage but it would cost a small fortune per month together with the other supplements I take.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me