When to start TRT

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
I will be 60 years old in two months. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs. At the beginning of this year, my testosteronelevels fell below 300 due to me taking DHEA. I realized that it was messing with my T levels so I stopped taking it. When my levels were that low, my sex drive and my strength were both totally depleted. Now my levels are above 500. I was injured as a child, which stopped the function of one of my testicles. Even with one functioning testicle I was able to have 5children, and I am still sexually active today. My sex drive has come back to normal and my strength is almost completely back. I'm curious if I should start TRT.If not, when should I start it, if at all? I want my T levels to be as high asthey were when I was in my 30's so that I will be able to continue living mylife at this intensity or better. I want to remain having an elevated sexdrive, and continue having an above average motivation completing everydaytasks. I have been doing research on doctors, and I would possibly visit Dr. Daniel Berger, if he would accept me as a patient. The only drawback is that his offices are 90 miles from my home. I would appreciate any and all input. I'm just looking for some advice as I enter my senior years. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Loki

I am curious to see replies on this as well as I supplement DHEA. I have never heard of it lowering Testosterone levels. I take 100MG in the morning and 100MG before bed... I thought it was a precursor and raised T levels....

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Vince

If my sex drive and strength without TRT were good, I would not take testosterone. You have only mentioned sex drive, but if your erectile function good also? If yes, keep doing what you are doing and do not start TRT.

DHEA has proven not to increase testosterone blood levels in men, but it increases estradiol. Increased estradiol can decrease testosterone via the feedback look in the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Supplementation in Elderly Men: A Meta-Analysis Study
DHEA Supplementation: What Do Studies Show?
DHEA Supplements- Do They Work?

Loki

Good info, do you recommend supplementing DHEA? It seems there may be other benefits (outside of what I thought I was taking it for)....

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
You should only take it if your DHEA-S blood level is low. If you read the evidence shown in the links I shared, studies are inconclusive in men.

LowT2014

Agree with Nigel, OP: If you have no symptoms of Low T why bother?, providing no extreme fatigue and muscle recovery issues after exercise, hot flashes, libido issues, errection in night (nocturnal), feeling tired after meal.

Just because we have the option to be on TRT doesn't mean we should, symptoms and blood panel must be used before people should opt to go on TRT.

How do you know you have only 1 functioning testis, is that diagnosed what was the urologist workup on it?

I re read your post it seems you worry about future and not present, at the moment you sounds like a healthy man when you do see some symptoms and then you can re evaluate your option its there anyway.

Cheers

Vince

Super Moderator
one way to know is by looking at it :) another is by testing.

from 8-11-2014

LUTEINIZING HORMONE 15.2 mIU/mL
FOLLICLE STIMULATING HORMONE 26.3 mIU/mL
TESTOSTERONE 503 ng/dL

from 5-8-2014

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN 46.0 nmol/L
FOLLICLE STIMULATING HORMONE 19.2 mIU/mL
LUTEINIZING HORMONE 11.4 mIU/mL
TESTOSTERONE 572 ng/dL

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]IRON[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]59 - 158 ug/dL[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]131[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]228 - 428 ug/dL[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]287[/TD]

[TD="class: srchbl, colspan: 3"]Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC) is calculated using the
following formula: TIBC (ug/dL) = UIBC (Unsaturated Iron
Binding Capacity) + Total Iron.[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]% IRON SATURATION[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]20 - 50 %[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]46[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]UNSATURATED IRON BIND CAPACITY[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]112 - 347 ug/dL[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]156[/TD]

[TD="class: srchbl, colspan: 3"]UIBC is a measure of reserve iron binding capacity of transferrin.
Normally, only one-third of the binding sites of transferrin are
occupied.[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]IRON[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]59 - 158 ug/dL[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]131[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]228 - 428 ug/dL[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]287[/TD]

[TD="class: srchbl, colspan: 3"]Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC) is calculated using the
following formula: TIBC (ug/dL) = UIBC (Unsaturated Iron
Binding Capacity) + Total Iron.[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]% IRON SATURATION[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]20 - 50 %[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]46[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]UNSATURATED IRON BIND CAPACITY[/TD]
[TD="class: infoCol"]112 - 347 ug/dL[/TD]
[TD="class: importantCol"]156[/TD]

[TD="class: srchbl, colspan: 3"]UIBC is a measure of reserve iron binding capacity of transferrin.
Normally, only one-third of the binding sites of transferrin are
occupied.[/TD]

Vince

Super Moderator
the test above is dated 1-27-14
this one still on 20mg of dhea twice a day
from 3-4-14
Testosterone Male 285.7 ng/dL
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin 46 nmol/L
Fsh 21.1 mUnits/mL
Lh 8.6 mUnits/mL

Vince

Super Moderator
Yes. I believe that DHEA did lower my T. Maybe because of having one testicle. I took one other test while taking DHEA twice a day. I could post those results later.

Vince

Super Moderator
this one is from last year 9-18-2013 I was taking 10mg of dhea twice day
Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (μg/dL) 351 H

Estradiol (pg/mL) 22.0

Human sex hormonebinding globulin (nmol/L) 40

10 - 80
Testosterone (ng/dL) 390

Free Testosterone (ng/dL) (calculated) 7.03

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors