When starting overweight, will there be significant weight gain in TRT?

Buy Lab Tests Online

JD_LEO

I am new to the site after reading Nelson's book, and I am attempting to gain as much knowledge as possible about TRT. I am 39 years-old, 5-11, 200 lbs. I was recently diagnosed with low testosterone, and went with a compounding pharmacy to receive a transdermal cream (I faint with needles). I have yet to receive my first shipment but I am excited to start living again. I currently have zero sex drive, low energy, and have had problems losing belly fat (weight) with consistent aerobic exercise. Some of my research revealed some people experience a significant increase in appetite so I am worried about the unhealthy weight gain aspect of TRT and or testosterone being converted to estrogen due to starting this therapy overweight. Within the last year, I have notice a small amount of weight settling in my breasts as well.

Questions:

1. Since I am about 20 lbs overweight, will my body have a greater tendency for the testosterone being converted into estrogen? if so, am i at a higher risk of unhealthy weight gain while using this medication?

2. Will TRT help with metabolism?

I am not looking for a larger waist or bigger breasts. I want to take a proactive approach so things will get better not worse. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
I am new to the site after reading Nelson's book, and I am attempting to gain as much knowledge as possible about TRT. I am 39 years-old, 5-11, 200 lbs. I was recently diagnosed with low testosterone, and went with a compounding pharmacy to receive a transdermal cream (I faint with needles). I have yet to receive my first shipment but I am excited to start living again. I currently have zero sex drive, low energy, and have had problems losing belly fat (weight) with consistent aerobic exercise. Some of my research revealed some people experience a significant increase in appetite so I am worried about the unhealthy weight gain aspect of TRT and or testosterone being converted to estrogen due to starting this therapy overweight. Within the last year, I have notice a small amount of weight settling in my breasts as well.

Welcome JD, you came to the right place.

Questions:

1. Since I am about 20 lbs overweight, will my body have a greater tendency for the testosterone being converted into estrogen? if so, am i at a higher risk of unhealthy weight gain while using this medication?

A: Men who use a daily transdermal rarely have increase in estrogen serum levels due to the low daily dosage. This daily low dose dose not spike testosterone serum levels, which mimics more of the body in natural state, so there is little aromatase activity. I do hope, however, you are using HCG needles or not...you need to keep your testicles alive and there is much more that HCG does when a man is HPTA suppressed.

2. Will TRT help with metabolism?

A: Yes, TRT will increase your resting metabolic rate and you will lose weight and gain a lot of other huge benefits! Like the old saying "you're going to like the way you look!"

I am not looking for a larger waist or bigger breasts. I want to take a proactive approach so things will get better not worse. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!!

In bold above.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
JD, Gene's post is spot-on! Get your diet on track and you will be going in the right direction. If you want to have an effective metabolism then eat smaller, more frequent meals, keeping your carbs controlled, especially at night. If you get a diet with the right mix of protein/fats/carbs and exercise effectively, then your TRT program should be great! There are other variables factored here, including estrogen, thyroid, SHBG to optimize free test, etc. If you're making the changes then look at the whole picture, just not one area. If you have labs please post them up. Thanks for joining!

James

Good on you for taking action to help correct your testosteone deficiency. Although everyone's different, don't expect to turn into Superman overnight. I've been on Cypionate (160 mg, once a week), for 6 weeks now, and I'm just starting to really feel the benefits. As for weight gain, according to the scale, I gained about 15 pounds pretty quickly, without any change to my diet/exercise program, however most was water weight and I'm starting to lose it. What was your estradiol level with your 1st labs? What did the prescribing doc say about any possibly of test converting to estrogen?

JD_LEO

Thank you all for the information. I am not taking HCG as of yet. I was in shock when I had my first visit, and had no idea what TRT was when I walked into the office. However, she was pretty sure of her diagnosis after the hearing my complaints. This was the first time I had seen the female Dr., and there was not much trust. Add, the fact I did not have the information that I have today, there was not a lot of questions on my end. Once my Dr. learned from my patient history that I was graduating law school this May, she had a lot of reservations giving me the script. She felt there was a great risk that I would eventually sue her due to a lot of the class action litigation involving TRT..lol. After explaining that I was giving complete informed consent and agreed to sign a waiver if needed, she felt comfortable. This location is internal medicine/endocrine office so it was not like this was their first rodeo involving TRT. I just felt it was a lack of trust.

As far as diet, I do a reasonable job eating a modified paleo diet. I have been trying eat low carb/high protein just to keep my insulin from spiking all the time from a high carb intake. I love bread and potatoes so this has been hard but I am getting there. I have lost 30 lbs since January through exercise and diet.

I will try to be patient as possible. This was not an easy decision based on the fact once you are on TRT, it does not seem an easy process to go off. I am just looking forward to living again. When I look back at how long this has probably been a problem, it is frustrating this was not diagnosed sooner.

I have a follow-up blood work scheduled for May. I am just glad that this site and Nelson's book has given me a good comfort level in case of anything abnormal occurs before my follow up visit.

I will note that my first script was for androgel. However, I lost my private insurance when the law changed. The new insurance would not even touch this prescription. Close to 400 a month, and that was with a savings card. Thank god for compounding pharmacies: $70.00.

Again, thanks for the insight and expertise.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
As far as diet, I do a reasonable job eating a modified paleo diet. I have been trying eat low carb/high protein just to keep my insulin from spiking all the time from a high carb intake. I love bread and potatoes so this has been hard but I am getting there. I have lost 30 lbs since January through exercise and diet.

I will try to be patient as possible. This was not an easy decision based on the fact once you are on TRT, it does not seem an easy process to go off. I am just looking forward to living again. When I look back at how long this has probably been a problem, it is frustrating this was not diagnosed sooner.

I have a follow-up blood work scheduled for May. I am just glad that this site and Nelson's book has given me a good comfort level in case of anything abnormal occurs before my follow up visit.

I will note that my first script was for androgel. However, I lost my private insurance when the law changed. The new insurance would not even touch this prescription. Close to 400 a month, and that was with a savings card. Thank god for compounding pharmacies: $70.00.

Again, thanks for the insight and expertise.

Glad you joined us. One by one we will become the educators of doctors with little knowledge and the doctors afraid of lawsuits.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me