Converting HCG units - mcg to IU

Buy Lab Tests Online

paco

My wife and I are doing a round of IUI this month, so she was recently prescribed Ovidrel (brand name HCG). The dose is 250 mcg, and the cost will be $75. I'm guessing that's way overpriced, given that I take compounded HCG that costs $75 for 11,000 IUs. So, I'm thinking of just giving her a bit of mine, but I want to ensure we get the dose right.

Does anyone know how to convert mcg to IUs? Or, is it even possible? We will just ask the doctor if noone here is sure, but I figured someone here would know the easy math.

Thanks!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Here is a good online pharmacy calculator.
http://smartools.pharmdev.org/iu.html

hcg.jpg

paco

Ok, I think that makes sense. Maybe the $75 price tag isn't that excessive. I will see if we can go with a compounded version for her anyways, as it will likely save us about $30.

jacb

The values in IU terms for Ovitrelle 250 Micrograms (mcg) 0.5 mL Pre-filled Syringe seem to be very variable in the thread above … which value is correct?

Ovitrelle is recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin (rHCG) not urinary derived hCG and some users might prefer that in order to avoid any possible contaminants. A study was done on exactly that issue LINK and it was found that “urinary‐derived batches have high presence of contaminant proteins beside the active substance. The relative amount of contaminant proteins and hCG differs strongly between different batches”.

If KeithWillse is correct and 250mcg of Ovitrelle is equivalent to 6,500 IU then for those of us taking 500 IU of hCG twice a week this might be an option. Since it would seem to avoid possible contaminant proteins and offer a more consistent/standardised dose of HCG.

If 250mcg = 6,500 IU then 500 IU would equate to approximately 19mcg … I doubt that the quantity selector knob on the pre-filled syringe device would let you select that amount …. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Is it possible to buy recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin (rHCG) in powder form (as per pregnyl etc)?

Last edited:
T

tareload

The values in IU terms for Ovitrelle 250 Micrograms (mcg) 0.5 mL Pre-filled Syringe seem to be very variable in the thread above … which value is correct?

Ovitrelle is recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin (rHCG) not urinary derived hCG and some users might prefer that in order to avoid any possible contaminants. A study was done on exactly that issue LINK and it was found that “urinary‐derived batches have high presence of contaminant proteins beside the active substance. The relative amount of contaminant proteins and hCG differs strongly between different batches”.

If KeithWillse is correct and 250mcg of Ovitrelle is equivalent to 6,500 IU then for those of us taking 500 IU of hCG twice a week this might be an option. Since it would seem to avoid possible contaminant proteins and offer a more consistent/standardised dose of HCG.

If 250mcg = 6,500 IU then 500 IU would equate to approximately 19mcg … I doubt that the quantity selector knob on the pre-filled syringe device would let you select that amount …. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Is it possible to buy recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin (rHCG) in powder form (as per pregnyl etc)?
No you have to take the r-hCG and dilute in bacteriostatic water.

jacb

No you have to take the r-hCG and dilute in bacteriostatic water.
Hi Readalot

Are you saying that unlike urinary derived hCG (which comes as powder and needs to be diluted in bacteriostatic water to form an injectable solution) r-hCG only comes as a liquid and needs to be further diluted in bacteriostatic water?

Or are you saying they share the same format? Ie powder and bacteriostatic water?

T

tareload

Hi Readalot

Are you saying that unlike urinary derived hCG (which comes as powder and needs to be diluted in bacteriostatic water to form an injectable solution) r-hCG only comes as a liquid and needs to be further diluted in bacteriostatic water?

Or are you saying they share the same format? Ie powder and bacteriostatic water?

r-hCG comes in the pre-filled single use syringe as you state. Get a sterile vial and bacteriostatic water and dilute as per mcg to IU conversion below. u-hCG is lyophilized powder that is reconstituted with bacteriostatic water.

Comments from my experience:

jacb

Thanks readalot

I see that in the linked thread above, you said:

I went to the trouble of diluting Ovidrel into a 5000 IU bottle (5000 IU per 5 mL) with bacteriostatic water and it never matched the same subjective or quantitative benefit of urinary derived hCG. I did this because u-hCG is a biologic soup even after chromatographic separation and the use of r-hCG addresses the potential risk of prion contamination.

Very relevant, we have been down the same thought path.

How did you do your calculation? The Ovidrel syringe contains 0.5 mL. Ken Willse believes that equates to 6,500 IU (See above). Did you therefore transfer 0.385mL of Ovidrel to an empty vial and add 4.615 mL of bacteriostatic water thereby giving you 5000 IU per 5 mL or ?

I note your subjective review of Ovidrel, in that it never matched the same quantitative benefit of urinary derived hCG.

That is surprising, any thoughts as to why that might be?

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com