Opinion Needed About Taking Testosterone

Buy Lab Tests Online

melabarb

I was wondering if I could get some input from anybody who would be willing to share his expertise.....I have suffered from low-grade depression for a long time and 4-5 years ago my total testosterone was consistently ~350 ng/dL [250-1100]. Over the past 2-3 years, my total testosterone values have been fine, never dropping below 500 ng/dL. I have never taken testosterone but was on clomid and stopped taking it in March of 2018 (felt awful). My latest test value (taken July 2018) was 860 ng/dL. Other latest values: free testosterone was 92.0 pg/mL [35-155], SHBG is out of range at 57 nmol/L [10-50], DHEAs is 170 mcg/dL [70 - 495]. My thyroid values are optimal and I have had every test done possible on it. My doctor decided to place me on testosterone with my current value of 860 ng/dL as he said, "I want to treat your symptoms" (low libido and depression), "not just look at the numbers." Do you think taking testosterone could help? Is DHEA an option? Thanks

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
My doctor decided to place me on testosterone with my current value of 860 ng/dL as he said, "I want to treat your symptoms" (low libido and depression), "not just look at the numbers." Do you think taking testosterone could help? Is DHEA an option? Thanks
If your testosterone is that high, you're wasting your time going on TRT. DHEA will only lower your T and raise your estrogen.

CoastWatcher

Did your doctor discuss the fact that very shortly after starting a TRT protocol your natural production of testosterone will cease? There is no such thing as a "testosterone booster." You mention depression, are you dealing with other issues possibly associated with your androgens?

ratbag

I calculate your free T at 1.63% or 14 ng/dl. With your high SHBG it's no surprise you don't feel well. I would think TRT would increase your free T substantially and make you feel better. 1Draw is correct we should see what your thyroid results are simply because the large majority of MD's do not look at thyroid labs properly. Can you share your labs with us? Also would be helpful to know your E2 sensitive and Ferritin.

DragonBits

Neurotransmitter panel

I would get a Neurotransmitter panel similar to the one life extension offers for $199, maybe your doctor can prescribe it and insurance can pay, maybe not.

Here is their description.

==================================================================

DESCRIPTION

• Neurotransmitter Panel
  • Item Catalog Number: LC100058

Urinary neurotransmitter (NT) levels provide an overall assessment of your body's ability to make and break down neurotransmitters and are representative of whole body levels. Whole body neurotransmitter levels correlate with symptoms and provide a valuable tool for achieving balance and wellbeing.
This panel contains the following 9 neurotransmitters:

Neurotransmitter

High levels in urine

Low levels in urine

Serotonin is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and contributes to feelings of happiness and well-being

May contribute to anxiety, high blood pressure, irritability, and low libido

Associated with depression, worry, obsessive thoughts, carbohydrate cravings, PMS, difficulty with pain control, sleep disturbances, and IBS

GABA functions as the brain's major inhibitory neurotransmitter

Associated with sluggish energy, feelings of sedation, and foggy thinking

Implicated in feeling stressed, overwhelmed and/or irritable, impulsivity, anxiety, ADHD, and seizure disorders

Dopamine regulates the pleasure/reward pathway, memory, and motor control

May contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety and schizophrenia. May also be related to autism, mood swings, psychosis, and attention disorders

Associated with memory issues, loss of motor control, cravings, compulsions, loss of satisfaction, and addictive behaviors

Norepinephrine (noradrenaline) Involved in a wide variety of actions including attention, focus, regulating heart rate, affecting blood flow, and suppressing inflammation

Linked to anxiety, stress, elevated blood pressure, and hyperactivity

Associated with lack of energy, focus, and motivation

Epinephrine (Adrenaline) is heavily involved in the acute stress response and helps regulate muscle contraction, heart rate, glycogen breakdown, and blood pressure

Associated with ADHD, hyperactivity, anxiety, sleep issues, and acute stress response

Leads to difficulty concentrating, fatigue, depression, insufficient cortisol production, chronic stress, poor recovery from illness, and dizziness

Glutamate functions as the brain's major excitatory neurotransmitter

Can cause excitotoxicity, a process that damages nerve cells through excessive stimulation. Associated with panic attacks, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, OCD, and depression

May result in agitation, memory loss, sleeplessness, low energy levels, and depression

Glycine is inhibitory and plays a dual role as both a NT and an amino acid. Glycine improves sleep quality, calms aggression and serves as an anti-inflammatory agent

May be associated with compromised cognitive processing

May contribute to poor sleep, poor cognitive function and issues with memory

Histamine is an excitatory neurotransmitter involved in the sleep/wake cycle and inflammatory response

May be associated with allergy-like symptoms, gastro-intestinal concerns and inflammation

May affect digestion and appetite control, learning, memory and mood and may result in drowsiness

PEA (Phenylethlyamine) promotes energy, elevates mood, regulates attention and aggression, and serves as a biomarker for ADHD

May contribute to anxiety with very high levels having amphetamine-life effects. May be associated with higher cortisol levels

May be associated with ADHD, depression, Parkinson’s disease and bipolar disorder

Kirk001

I don't know how much research you've done into all this stuff but I would do a ton of reading and this site is a great place to start. I'm going to disagree with some of the others and say I like how this doc is thinking. It's still a serious decision that you have to weigh and get as much info as you can, do your research etc, but I like that this doc wants to treat your symptoms rather than your numbers.

Are you still depressed or having symptoms? Did you start the Clomid when your total T was below 350, or did it just increase on its own over time to the 500s before you started Clomid?

A total T of 860 means nothing to me if we're talking about Clomid. I am biased perhaps but I can tell you from first-hand experience that Clomid pushed my total T levels well over 1,000 and I didn't feel one single benefit.

So you have natural T levels somewhere in the 300s - 500s. You say you've looked into thyroid issues already. Low libido and depression. Clomid was no help. You have a doc willing to help. I personally would definitely be looking at taking testosterone if I were in your shoes. Definitely preferable to an SSRI as far as I'm concerned.

But like I said you have to do the research. Taking test alone will suppress your fertility, possibly to zero. Adding HCG to the protocol should mitigate the suppression but it will still likely lower your fertility. And if your sperm count was marginal to begin with, fertility could be an issue.

Anxiety and depression I know are debilitating... you have to do everything you can to fix them. A lot of guys have said that test helped them in this area. But you need to do your research and weigh all the pros and cons.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me