New here

Buy Lab Tests Online

StuD

56 years old, total T tanked from 650 to 200 over last 3 years if labs are to be believed. Just completed first 10 weeks of 2x week .5cc IM test cyp (200mg/ml) injections and .5mg 1x per week Anastrazole. Can't say I have anything to rave about so far. Labs tomorrow, we'll see.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

StuD

Have you tried testosterone without anastrozole? How about adding HCG to it?
I have not, Doc put me on anastrozole right at start, now not sure why as Estradiol was not initially tested, though it is one of my labs ordered for tomorrow.

I plan on asking about HCG.

StuD

Thanks CoastWatcher! I have been somewhat of an exercise fanatic most of my life, focus on bodybuilding early on and then also mixed things up with cycling and swimming, kind of a mixed bag. At one time I was at 245 lbs. with sub 10% bodyfat in my early 20's (I'm 6'2"). When I was more into the aerobic stuff, weight was down to 220. I am now at 245 but way over 10% :confused:. Gains in the weight room have really fallen off. My brother who is 12 years younger has been on TRT for several years, he really built up the response to therapy so I might have been expecting too much. I have lost a few pounds and have improved libido, but not the rush he spoke of. Even Doc seemed to build this up, said I was a perfect candidate in that I had maintained exercise over the years and should really respond.

CoastWatcher

Thanks CoastWatcher! I have been somewhat of an exercise fanatic most of my life, focus on bodybuilding early on and then also mixed things up with cycling and swimming, kind of a mixed bag. At one time I was at 245 lbs. with sub 10% bodyfat in my early 20's (I'm 6'2"). When I was more into the aerobic stuff, weight was down to 220. I am now at 245 but way over 10% :confused:. Gains in the weight room have really fallen off. My brother who is 12 years younger has been on TRT for several years, he really built up the response to therapy so I might have been expecting too much. I have lost a few pounds and have improved libido, but not the rush he spoke of. Even Doc seemed to build this up, said I was a perfect candidate in that I had maintained exercise over the years and should really respond.
Your protocol, and the failure to perform essential testing, raises a number of red flags (as many here will tell you), but given that you're testing...that will tell the tale. What tests are on the list?

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Welcome to EM! It definitely takes time, so be patient, and keep in mind that balance throughout the body and endocrine system should be the goal. Glad you joined!

StuD

Really? I thought the protocol was pretty reasonable, but was surprised at the absence of estradiol in initial testing. It is included in the 10 week labs to be taken tomorrow, along with CMP, CBD, and of course total and free T.

CoastWatcher

Really? I thought the protocol was pretty reasonable, but was surprised at the absence of estradiol in initial testing. It is included in the 10 week labs to be taken tomorrow, along with CMP, CBD, and of course total and free T.
It's fairly well established that adding anastrozole in the absence of confirmed, elevated e2 levels (relying only on the sensitive/LC/MS, MS lab test) is tempting fate. In fact, even elevated lab values - if there are no symptoms associated with high estradiol - don't necessarily merit intervention. It's fairly easy to lower estradiol but it can be a nightmare to raise it should it be crashed.

Where does your SHBG sit?

Vince

Super Moderator
I have not, Doc put me on anastrozole right at start, now not sure why as Estradiol was not initially tested, though it is one of my labs ordered for tomorrow.

I plan on asking about HCG.

When I started trt, I've only used testosterone and HCG. I did Labs at 12 weeks and never needed an AI.

StuD

It's fairly well established that adding anastrozole in the absence of confirmed, elevated e2 levels (relying only on the sensitive/LC/MS, MS lab test) is tempting fate. In fact, even elevated lab values - if there are no symptoms associated with high estradiol - don't necessarily merit intervention. It's fairly easy to lower estradiol but it can be a nightmare to raise it should it be crashed.

Where does your SHBG sit?

OK, makes sense. SHBG was at 50 before beginning TRT.

StuD

Did that SHBG, certainly a higher value, figure into your doctor's decision about protocol design - shot frequency and the amount injected?

Doc did describe the protocol as the best approach in his experience with the lab values I presented, though he did not directly refer to the SHBG when we did consultation. I was so thrown by the low T values that I focused my questions there, as total T had dropped from 652 in the fall of 2015 to 188 for the initial testing 10 weeks ago. I did not have free T values from the 2015 test, but free T was at 2.7 in the test just this spring.

CoastWatcher

Doc did describe the protocol as the best approach in his experience with the lab values I presented, though he did not directly refer to the SHBG when we did consultation. I was so thrown by the low T values that I focused my questions there, as total T had dropped from 652 in the fall of 2015 to 188 for the initial testing 10 weeks ago. I did not have free T values from the 2015 test, but free T was at 2.7 in the test just this spring.

Was your brother's hypogonadism determined to be primary or secondary? Did he have a similar presentation as you? My father was diagnosed with hypogonadism shortly before his death, didn't really start treatment, so familial patterns interest me.

Gman86

Was your brother's hypogonadism determined to be primary or secondary? Did he have a similar presentation as you? My father was diagnosed with hypogonadism shortly before his death, didn't really start treatment, so familial patterns interest me.

Family patterns interest me as well. My dad 1 million percent has low T, but will not go get checked. And my younger brother is now having all the symptoms, but can't get him to get checked either. Stud consider urself lucky that you have your brother to use as a loose guideline. Everyone's different obv, but if he's feeling great I personally would ask him what protocol is working for him and see how it compares to the protocol you're on.

StuD

Pretty sure brother's diagnosis was secondary and related to normal aging, I'm checking with him. I know he has had sort of roller coaster ride with estrogen levels but only in last couple years of 10 years total treatment.

Gman86

Only recently as estradiol levels were always relatively low for him. He says he doesn't like the effect of the AI (anastrozole).

I would say most of the time when someone says they don't like the effects of an AI, they are just using too much. AI's are very strong. On just a 1/4 of a tab of anastrozole EOD, my E2 went from 71 to 9. That's only 0.94mg/ week. Slightly less than 1mg/ week. And most doctors prescribe at least 1mg per week. In regards to an AI, definitely the less the better. Always start very very conservatively.

Gman86

Pretty sure brother's diagnosis was secondary and related to normal aging, I'm checking with him. I know he has had sort of roller coaster ride with estrogen levels but only in last couple years of 10 years total treatment.

Man I wish I had a brother or father that has been on TRT for 10 years. You can learn so much from them. I would literally be asking my brother a thousand questions about it every time I see him lol. All the mistakes he has made, how he felt throughout the 10 years, all the protocol changes he has made over the years and any advice he would have for someone just starting out, or any advice he would give himself when he first started if he could go back in time. That's just a few of the questions I would ask! Definitely take advantage of the fact that you have someone so close to you that has been through it, especially considering he has a lot of the same genetics/ DNA as you.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me