Metformin and Finding an Optimal Dosage

Buy Lab Tests Online

Daniel Williams

I've been reading a lot about Metformin on this forum. I'm impressed with what I've read and I've decided to give it a shot. I started with 500mg ER once per day. Felt maybe a tiny bit better. Then jumped to 500mg EG twice per day (1000mg per day total). I feel fine on this higher dosage, and I've noticed my urge to over-eat is somewhat reduced. From what I've read on another site, Metformin needs to typically be dosed at least 1500mg per day to notice a substantial positive difference. It also states that 2000mg per day is the typical maintenance dosage. I'm not a type II diabetic, but I do think I have some insulin sensitivity issues. I'm thinking about trying the 850mg ER twice per day and see how that feels. My question to you guys is, what dosage of Metformin do you find to be optimal in your bodies? Thanks for your input.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

LTChris

I have not tried it yet but would like to due to ibs issues. I am having trouble getting a prescription. What are the reasons you are on metformin? Is it just insulin sensitivity? I think stepping up the dosage slow like you are is a good call!

Daniel Williams

I have not tried it yet but would like to due to ibs issues. I am having trouble getting a prescription. What are the reasons you are on metformin? Is it just insulin sensitivity? I think stepping up the dosage slow like you are is a good call!

I'm trying Metformin ER because it helps with insulin sensitivity and it also has longevity benefits. Many people believe that taking Metformin helps people live long and healthier, even if they don't have type II diabetes.

Daniel Williams

After doing a search and reading old posts, I seen that Nelson takes 500mg ER twice a day, and Vince takes 750mg ER twice a day. That seems to be a common range for people taking it for overall health benefits. I think I will bump up to the 750mg ER twice a day and see how it goes. I would be interested in hearing from Vince or Nelson on how they feel on their current Metformin dosage since they have been on the medication for some time. Thanks for the input.

Vince

Super Moderator
I take metformin because I'm insulin resistant. My labs.
Metformin can lower your B12, so you may have to supplement with B12.

I recently started it and I'm taking 500mg twice a day (AM/PM) and have tested my glucose and it's much lower and doesn't stay high after eating for as long so it's working for me as well. I'm also taking it for the general health benefit that it hopefully is providing. I'm also a tad IR. My fasting glucose is usually between 100 and 95 before metformin and now it's down around 80 so I'm happy with that. I intermittent fast/time restricted diet also and have noticed it definitely curbs my appetite. I've never had a problem with wanting to eat late but I'm not hungry at night on metformin. I supplement a B complex and citrulline. I was already taking citrulline but Nelson mentioned at one point that he lost his pump in the gym and upped his citrulline and it helped.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Some people have GI issues or fatigue on Metformin. If you have neither, go for the 2000 mg dose. 1800 mg per day is the dose being used in the TAME study. Watch my lecture:

Systemlord

Those that have side effects on Metformin may try Berberine 500mg twice daily. I developed a persistent cough and hoarseness on Metformin that wanes after 8 hours and returns upon taking another pill.

Daniel Williams

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still taking 500mg ER twice a day and I feel great on this stuff. No side effects and my urge to over eat has been reduced greatly. I talked to the doc about going higher but he says I have to stay on this current dosage for 3 months and then do followup bloodwork. What kind of labs do you guys run after being on Metformin for a few months?

Vince

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still taking 500mg ER twice a day and I feel great on this stuff. No side effects and my urge to over eat has been reduced greatly. I talked to the doc about going higher but he says I have to stay on this current dosage for 3 months and then do followup bloodwork. What kind of labs do you guys run after being on Metformin for a few months?

A1c, fasting glucose and check levels of vitamin B12. Metformin can lower levels of B12.

BradWI

For my last Defy blood work I threw on a fasting insulin test - I think it was $12. Result was 13 uIU/mL and fasting glucose of 99 giving me a HOMA-IR of 3.17 which is high insulin resistance. During my consultation I mentioned my insulin resistance and the PA suggested metformin. Having watched Nelson's video a while ago I was fine with being prescribed it and even kind of excited. Just started it this week and looking forward to hopefully shedding some weight and getting rid of this metabolic syndrome.

52hoosier

Metformin may also reduce HCT. Since I have been taking it my last two blood tests for Defy showed no HCT increase. Still high, but not getting worse. I also use Narigin for HCT.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me