NAC and elevated Hematocrit

Buy Lab Tests Online

Ardoc

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Blackhawk

Interesting, and thinks for posting this.

I doubled my dosage of NAC in order to boost glutathione, but also was on too high a dose of T cyp, leading to elevated HCT, systolic BP and symptoms. Timing was such that I can't attribute cause to the NAC, but I was uncomfortable enough with the situation that I dropped the doubled dose along with reduction in T dosage.

M

MarkM

Huh, I had not heard before that NAC elevates hematocrit. I always believed the opposite and that NAC (N-acetyl L-cysteine) helps to replenish intracellular glutathione, a vital cellular antioxidant, and a precursor to glutathione. I have also believed that glutathione had a lowering effect on hematocrit.

Belekas

nobody
Time to give this a bump. Pretty interesting subject as a lot of folks take NAC including myself. First time yesterday someone mentioned this mechanism of action and it intrigued me. When on test-e 3 years ago(250mg, not low I know) I was taking 1-2g NAC/day I had higher HC, elevated BP and some strange headaches that still haunt me to this day even though I'm off TRTfor now and my HC is low and BP decent. I still take NAC every once in a while but this made me think.

Anyone else have any experience to chime in?

Belekas

nobody
Yes, I reported it elsewhere but many years ago in a natty state, NAC supplementation bumped my hematocrit up several points. There's another study besides the one linked above which supports the concept: Effect of N-acetyl-cysteine and hyperoxia on erythropoietin production - PubMed

It also bears repeating whenever NAC is discussed that it is a potent mucolytic drug and I prefer my mucus barriers to stay intact.
Have this been studied more widely or discussed in any credible podcast or videos? First time I'm hearing this and I'm interested in this mechanism. NAC has been preached for years as one of the best supps for liver health and for antioxidant properties by even some smart heads from what I understand. I have lots of NAC but don't use it now, also going on TRT in a couple of week so not sure I'll be using it as I want my HC, BP, as low as possible, as before they were quite elevated but was taking borderline/high test-e dosage and training like a beast for years, so hard to tell. But your experience made me think:)

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Well, if you are abusing your liver with oral steroids, and you've been convinced that elevated hematocrit is a nothingburger, NAC might seem like a great idea. Some large percentage are probably unaware that it can affect hematocrit though. I also don't know how it interacts with TRT's hematocrit boosting -- perhaps it is not additive.

Belekas

nobody
Anything and everything might have an effect for one but N=1 don't matter that much personally. This is interesting one and I will keep it in mind going forward. Maybe will do a test once I start my TRT and get dialed in.

testiculus

I just reviewed my log of historical hematocrit results and for me there is no associated pattern of increased hematocrit during the time frames that I've used NAC. For me hematocrit is correlated with testosterone status.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me