How Much Of A Caloric Deficit Is Too Much?

Buy Lab Tests Online

shltn

I am really hoping someone here can help guide me and I'll try to keep it brief.

Background: I had an infection that lead to a dramatic increase in my RT3 so I had to clear it. Over the course of the approximate year of not knowing what my issues were I started slacking off at the gym (due to my hypothyroid symptoms and generally not feeling well) and also put on about 40lbs. Prior to being ill I was doing some form of exercise 7 days a week and was sitting about 180lbs and I'm guessing in the 6-8% BF range (never actually checked because I was happy with where I was).

Now I have cleared my RT3 and I tapered off my T3 medication two weeks ago. Over the course of the 13 weeks I was on T3 only meds I dropped about 25ish pounds and now I appear to be stuck at about 192lbs and have been for somewhere around 3 weeks. I will lose/gain 0.5-1lb back and forth of course.

My current routine is about 60-90 minutes at the gym every day; 40-50 being cardio and the remainder is weight training. I also walk with my wife every evening (weather permitting) for about 60-75 minutes or until we hit 4 miles around our neighborhood.

All-in-all I think I am burning in the vicinity of 1200-1800 calories every day via exercise alone. My diet is somewhat sporadic but most days I am eating around 1800-2400 calories a day - with the exception of our cheat meal once a week.

So shouldn't I easily be losing my target of 2lbs a week? What am I missing?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Guided_by_Voices

Losing body fat is not a simple math problem and one thing you're missing is the impact of metabolic rate which may simply be lowering to maintain a set-point your body perceives. You said nothing about whether you're sure you are a fat burner; if you can easily restrict your feeding window to less than 8 hours a day you probably are. If not then I would adopt such a feeding window and also make sure your calories are predominantly healthy fats and moderate protein to further shift toward fat burning. Putting my carbs mostly in my last meal also helped a lot for me. All of these things tend to maintain metabolic rate and many have had good success with such a program a la Leangains, Perfect Health Diet, etc…

shltn

@ Guided_By_Voices: I honestly could not say if I am a “fat burner”. Previous to my RT3 issue, I always ate more carbs and less fat in my diet and that served me fine and so that is what I have continued to do up to this point…but that doesn't mean I am right.

I was also doing a bit of intermittent fasting but once my weight loss stopped I thought I should change something up so I started to eat my first meal post-workout in the morning. I can obviously revisit the I.F. and keep myself to an 8-hour window.

@ Vince: My last labs were 4 weeks into my 13-Week T3 regimen (which is about 12 weeks ago now) and I have not run them since as I wanted to save the money. If you want those numbers I can dig them up and post them.

Vince

Super Moderator
@ Vince: My last labs were 4 weeks into my 13-Week T3 regimen (which is about 12 weeks ago now) and I have not run them since as I wanted to save the money. If you want those numbers I can dig them up and post them.

Now that you're off your thyroid meds I'm wondering if your thyroid is functioning properly. Since you having a hard time losing weight it would be nice to see what's your labs are presently.

shltn

Yeah, I could probably run another round of tests in a week or so. I was just hoping there was something else I could do.

Vince

Super Moderator
snip...

All-in-all I think I am burning in the vicinity of 1200-1800 calories every day via exercise alone. My diet is somewhat sporadic but most days I am eating around 1800-2400 calories a day - with the exception of our cheat meal once a week.

So shouldn't I easily be losing my target of 2lbs a week? What am I missing?

Hi shltn, How are you determining the 1200-1800 calories burned by exersize? That sure seems high.

I use a garmin heart rate monitor to determine my cals burned. 90 minutes of weight lifting along with 20 minutes of stationary bike only reports 650 cal burned.
I am sure this is only based off of my heart rate so I have no idea how accurate it is.

I also mtn bike 3 hours ~15miles twice a week and my HR monitor reports 550-700 cal burned based on the trails alt gain.

I use the free ap LoseIt to track my cals in and out.
https://loseit.com/#Home I like it much better than MyfitnessPal.
It also calculates my base cal needed and can tell me how much to ad or subtract to lose weight. The reports are kind of fun to track your progress.

shltn

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]@ Vince: I had blood drawn yesterday so I should hopefully have my thyroid results by the end of the week. I'm not sure if you were asking me but I used Cytomel (Cynomel) to clear my high RT3. I was over-range on my RT3 but the rest of my levels were dang near perfect and my symptoms were all hypothyroid. It was caused by a dental infection / being on antibiotics for about 8 months - thus my using T3 for 13 weeks to clear my high RT3.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]@ FeelingLost: I am basing my estimated caloric burn from a combination of my heart rate / exercise monitor on my Apple Watch and the calculator on the cardio equipment and I'm going off the lower figures. During my ~90 minutes at the gym in the morning I burn ~800-1,000 calories in cardio alone (not counting weight training which I keep to 30-60 sec rest between sets to keep heart rate elevated) and then in the evening I burn approximately 400-600 calories during my hour long outdoor walk (4 miles minimum). [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I hope this helps shed some light. Thanks for any help. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale