Measuring HCT at home

Just curious if a home blood monitor (like this one) is accurate enough to stay on top of HCT. Does anyone use something like this? It's $200 for the unit plus the cartridges...which is the cost of 4 CBC tests (minus the trip to LabCorp).

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

Quote Originally Posted by 30005Gator View Post
    Just curious if a home blood monitor (like this one) is accurate enough to stay on top of HCT. Does anyone use something like this? It's $200 for the unit plus the cartridges...which is the cost of 4 CBC tests (minus the trip to LabCorp).
    I wouldn't buy it. CBC - Complete Blood Count is $32 from discount labs, I think it's even cheaper if you buy from Defy.

Two Amazon users rate the meter as not accurate at all for HG, off by so much it's worthless. Maybe they are doing something wrong when testing? Who knows.

https://www.amazon.com/Germaine-Labs...ustomerReviews

And it's hard to determine how you do measure HCT, the company talks only about hemoglobin, there is only one reference to HCT in the text without explaining how HCT is measured.

Through discount lab the cost of a CBC test is $31.97 and I believe he's offering a discount. The last time I had just a CBC test through defy medical I believe the cost was under $15. If it was me I wouldn't buy a home monitor.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

Waste of money and it is no where near as accurate as having blood work done at a lab!

I am going to offer a different opinion than those already posted. I've been on TRT for over 13 years and have always been one that has to pay attention to Hb and HCT because it wants to creep up on me. Unlike some, my Hb and HCT have never seemed to normalize. Although I have blood work done on a very regular basis, there are times in life when I just can't get down to the lab because other commitments and travel. So, about 6 months ago my wife and I purchased one of these monitors to attempt to track those two elements between blood draws.

We wondered how accurate it would be, but figured that while it might not be as accurate as results from a lab, maybe it would provide some trending if it was consistent in how it calculated the results. If that was true, at least I would be able to see some trending. To our surprise, the monitor has been relatively accurate. We use the monitor prior to having blood work done and then compare that result to what the lab results show. Normally the monitor is only two or three tenths off the lab result. Once, it was a little higher than that; the monitor gave me a result of Hb 16.0 and HCT 47.0% and the lab results on the same day gave me a result of Hb 16.4 and HCT 48.%.

We do not use it to replace having blood work done, we simply use it as another tool to assist me in my TRT therapy and managing my protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    I am going to offer a different opinion than those already posted. I've been on TRT for over 13 years and have always been one that has to pay attention to Hb and HCT because it wants to creep up on me. Unlike some, my Hb and HCT have never seemed to normalize. Although I have blood work done on a very regular basis, there are times in life when I just can't get down to the lab because other commitments and travel. So, about 6 months ago my wife and I purchased one of these monitors to attempt to track those two elements between blood draws.

We wondered how accurate it would be, but figured that while it might not be as accurate as results from a lab, maybe it would provide some trending if it was consistent in how it calculated the results. If that was true, at least I would be able to see some trending. To our surprise, the monitor has been relatively accurate. We use the monitor prior to having blood work done and then compare that result to what the lab results show. Normally the monitor is only two or three tenths off the lab result. Once, it was a little higher than that; the monitor gave me a result of Hb 16.0 and HCT 47.0% and the lab results on the same day gave me a result of Hb 16.4 and HCT 48.%.

We do not use it to replace having blood work done, we simply use it as another tool to assist me in my TRT therapy and managing my protocol.
    I am in the same boat, where getting labs isn't always convenient. If you don't mind me asking, which monitor do you have?

I am in the same boat, where getting labs isn't always convenient. If you don't mind me asking, which monitor do you have?
    I have the same one in your original post.

There is one way to prove how far off the meters are from actual measurement.

Get your CBC done and measure your hematocrit close to the blood draw time. Spend 38 dollars to prove this.

https://www.discountedlabs.com/cbc-c...des-hematocrit

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Vergel View Post
    There is one way to prove how far off the meters are from actual measurement.

Get your CBC done and measure your hematocrit close to the blood draw time. Spend 38 dollars to prove this.

https://www.discountedlabs.com/cbc-c...des-hematocrit
    For some reason, I cannot open the discountedlabs.com website. Never have been able to. Security.

I’d buy one if they were cheaper. I hate going to the blood bank and going through the whole paperwork phasejust to find out hct is not elevated.

For some reason, I cannot open the discountedlabs.com website. Never have been able to. Security.
    You can e-mail them for help.
    info@discountedlabs.com
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

Thread Information