Vitamin B6 toxicity

Iíve developed a neuropathy thought to be from B6 toxicity. B6 levels were three times the max of the normal range. After a thorough neuromuscular work up, this is the only identifiable possible cause. Gabapentin is the only thing that takes the edge off the pain. Opening the thread to alert everyone to this toxicity and to start discussion.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

Are you supplementing with B6?

Yes, I was using a B complex. Plus, many supplements, bars, drinks, etc. contain B6.

Well at least the solution is an easy one, obv stop the supplements lol. But thanks for the post, interesting to see what too much of even a b vitamin can do.

I've always hated B6 it gives me extreme hunger pains.

B6 being a water soluble vitamin is thought by many not to accumulate in the body. It does and can take a long time to clear. Neuropathy it causes can be permanent. Be careful with your intake. You only need @2 mg per day.
    Last edited by nuclear; 06-14-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear View Post
    B6 being a water solvable vitamin is thought by many not to accumulate in the body. It does and can take a long time to clear. Neuropathy it causes can be permanent. Be careful with your intake. You only need @2 mg per day.
    I agree but its a water-soluble vitamin, I believe it's almost impossible to have too high a limit. Drink lots of water.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

The neurologist said it accumulates in the muscle and can take a year or more for neuropathy symptoms to resolve, if they resolve at all. Itís a serious toxity. Be advised.

Energy drinks and 5 hour energy are loaded with B vitamins. Use sparingly, especially the 5 hour energy, and don’t supplement with B vitamins.

This is what I found on Vitamin B6 or P-5-P. Keep your doses low as it can potentially overdrive the CBS pathway and result in excessive sulfite level which is not good thing. The data is unclear what if any effect CBS+ has on homocysteine levels. Sulfate test strips will quantify that for you if you are interested in pursuing that pathway further.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

Thread Information