Take your thyroid meds before of after your Labs?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Mr. T

I used the info from that exact post and this one prior to my thyroid tests yesterday.

From reading posts, it sounds like you can note the time(s) of the dosage(s) and time of the test and the doctors at Defy can interpret accordingly.

I take mine 12 hours prior to the test, then take the rest after the test. I'm only speculating, but it seems that consistency with respect to timing should at least yield relative results over time.

OMI100

Do you need to fast before taking the tests?
FWIW
I can only address my situation.
I am on NDT (Natural Desiccated Thyroid... Pig Thyroid)
Directions from my DR are to take my NDT on an empty stomach and not eat any food for an hour.
Having food in the stomach will impact absorption of the NDT.
When I do labs in the A.M. it is basically fasting labs, as I have not eaten anything.
After labs I take my NDT and wait an hour before I eat :)
Not sure of the protocol for NON NDT meds.

Joey786

When using 5 mcg t3 my fasting free t3 levels before taking medication were 3.0pg/ml (2.0-4.4 pg/ml). I increased the dose to 10mcg t3 and tested again, fasting, before taking medication. My result was still 3.0pg/ml. I could feel a difference going from 5 to 10 mcg but labs didn’t show a difference. I believe this is because of the short half life of t3. I decided to split my dose of 10 mcg t3, 5 mcg AM 5 mcg PM. I tested free t3 levels fasting, before taking my morning dose. My results was 3.4pg/ml. So there was a difference between 5 and 10 mcg. I mattered if I took the whole 10mcg at once or if I took the t3 twice a day. I believe it’s important to test peak levels of t3 to ensure levels aren’t too high. Testing before taking t3 would also be beneficial to ensure levels aren’t too low. I dont believe fasting is required for thyroid labs if your on thyroid medication.

Vince

Super Moderator
The onset of activity of liothyronine sodium is rapid, occurring within a few hours. Maximum harmacologic response occurs within 2 or 3 days, providing early clinical response. The biological half-life is about 2-½ days. T3 is almost totally absorbed, 95 percent in 4 hours.

https://www.rxlist.com/cytomel-drug.htm

Joey786

I have seen that information on half lives before. I was trying rationalize why my levels were the same on twice the t3 dose. It could be that 5mcg is such a small dose that my thyroid is still active. When I increased to 10mcg my thyroid down regulated and the extra exogenous t3 made up the difference. I still believe that there is a difference taking t3 once per day compared to twice per day.

Vince

Super Moderator
I have seen that information on half lives before. I was trying rationalize why my levels were the same on twice the t3 dose. It could be that 5mcg is such a small dose that my thyroid is still active. When I increased to 10mcg my thyroid down regulated and the extra exogenous t3 made up the difference. I still believe that there is a difference taking t3 once per day compared to twice per day.
Yes I agree with you I believe synthetic T3 should be taken twice a day. The only way you can get good level I would assume. Maybe we need a slow-release T3.

DragonBits

Yes I agree with you I believe synthetic T3 should be taken twice a day. The only way you can get good level I would assume. Maybe we need a slow-release T3.

If you take T3 with a meal, doesn't that slow absorption? Kind of like creating a slow release?

Has anyone ever experimented with this?

I take NDT twice a day, first time on an empty stomach, second time I don't pay so much attention to eating or not.

Vince

Super Moderator
I take my Synthroid and cytomel in the morning and then in the afternoon the afternoon I take cytomel again. I place it between my lip and gum, I try to slowly absorb it.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me