Lab measurement unit wrong? FT/TT = 0.14%* possible?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Wise_S

My total testosterone is 886 ng/dl (900 is the top of the ref range), shbg = 67.67 nmol/l ( 18,30-54,10), albumin = 5.3 g/dL;

I also tested my free testosterone and the lab result was 12.0 ng/l (8,30-40,10). If I convert it to ng/dl, that will be 1.2 ng/dl. This means that my FT/TT = 0.14% even though both TT & FT are in the normal range. Is this possible?

I talked to the lab and they asked their doctor to check if there is a mistake with the measurement unit and he said everything is ok. I'm not sure though...

I suspect that my FT should be 12.0 ng/dl (not ng/l). Then my FT/TT will be 1.4%, which is much more realistic. Also when I use this calculator:

www issam.ch/ freetesto.htm

and plug in my numbers, my FT is calculated as being 11.6 ng/dL = 1.31 %, which is much closer to 12 ng/dl, than to 12 ng/l. Bioavailable T = 332 ng/dL = 37.5 %.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

Your doctors are wrong, I might add that there is still a large gap in knowledge for what constitutes an androgen deficiency and no two doctors can agree. Your Free T is 11.6 ng/dL = 1.31 % when Total T and SHBG are calculated and 2-3 percent is considered normal and higher albumin is worsening the situation. Even this has its problems as it's just a calculation, Free T measurements are still largely unreliable, Total T labs is far more accurate.

We know SHBG binds up our testosterone and when we present with high SHBG you can bet free T will be low regardless of any lab test especially when the patient is presenting with the common symptoms of an androgen deficiency. Doctors need to go back to their roots, treat the patients symptoms and not the labs.

If you're presenting with the common symptoms of an androgen deficiency it's not hard to understand why, your doctor is the problem here. I believe FeelingLost is onto to something here, sometimes doctors don't want to stick their neck out for the patient.

Last edited:

Kirk001

Yeah I have a similar issue. My lab numbers: 297 ng/dL total and 8.3 pg/mL free... if you convert to get the same units so they cancel out, that puts my free/total testosterone as measured by LabCorp at 0.28%

But if I use that link to do a calculation based on albumin, SHBG and total testosterone, it says I should have a free testosterone of 1.86%.

I'm confused by it. But what it seems like guys here are saying is that the direct measurement of free T is highly variable and therefore kind of unreliable...? So why should we even test for it? I don't know.

Yeah I have a similar issue. My lab numbers: 297 ng/dL total and 8.3 pg/mL free... if you convert to get the same units so they cancel out, that puts my free/total testosterone as measured by LabCorp at 0.28%

But if I use that link to do a calculation based on albumin, SHBG and total testosterone, it says I should have a free testosterone of 1.86%.

I'm confused by it. But what it seems like guys here are saying is that the direct measurement of free T is highly variable and therefore kind of unreliable...? So why should we even test for it? I don't know.
I have read Free T is what you feel. Maybe that is why we test for it or try to calculate or quantify it.
I have always wondered what Free T feels like?
Happier
Hornier
Stronger
Smeller
???

Sorry Kirk I am feeling frisky tonight I hope you don't mind the joking around?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me