SAMe Improves Fatigue, Depression, and Protects the Liver

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
SAMe (SAM-e, S-adenosyl-methionine, or S-adenosyl-L-methionine) is a naturally occurring compound that is found in every cell in the body. It is produced within the body from the essential sulfur-containing amino acid methionine. Protein-rich foods are sources of this amino acid. It is an antioxidant and it has shown to have liver protecting properties.

SAMe is generally considered safe when taken in appropriate doses. People with bipolar (manic/depressive) disorder should be aware that it could trigger a manic phase. People taking standard antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors, SSRIs, and tricyclics should not take SAMe except on a physician's advice. It has been shown to help SSRI drugs work better when used in combination. It is fairly well tolerated but be it can cause jitteriness or gut problems in some.

I am convinced that this supplement works for depression and fatigue. I have taken 400 mg twice a day for a few months and can definitely feel a difference. I actually get reminded when I do not take it by my having decreased energy. An added bonus is that it can also decrease liver enzymes.

SAMe is not cheap. There are many different manufacturers but I use the Jarrow Formulas brand, as I trust their quality control. It comes in foil-protected 200 mg-capsules since it tends to lose its effectiveness when exposed to air.

Some studies:
S-ADENOSYLMETHIONINE IN LIVER HEALTH, INJURY, AND CANCER I am including a study done at ACRIA that also found benefits in treating depression in people living with HIV:

S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e) for the treatment of depression in people living with HIV/AIDS

Talk to your doctor before taking this supplement. Do not stop taking your antidepressants to switch to SAMe since it has not been fully studied in large controlled studies.

Start at a small dose of 100 mg twice a day on an empty stomach and see how you feel with that dose. If you do not feel any more energy, increase the dose to 200 mg twice a day and so on until the maximum dose of 400 mg twice is achieved. You may have to lower the dose if you start feeling anxious.

Buy it: https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Promotes-Strength-Function/dp/B0SAMe.jpg

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Dr.V.P.C.

I am on sam-e 400mg a day , everyday for about 6 months. Really feels well being support , joint health and my liver valeus is better.

Here in Italy it's widely prescribed for depression and as a liver detox. I have never used it personally but I have heard a lot of positive responses.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have used it and it works. But be careful with dosing since some people may get a little manic if they have prior history of mania. It protects the liver also,

At doses over 800 mg per day it can cause some diarrhea.

I would like to know as well about taking it with effexor, at first effexor gave a nice boost now it makes me sleepy. I would like to try sam-e but not sure I am patient enough to get all the way off effexor. Thanks!

Davet

I take it in the middle of the night when I go to the gents...on an empty stomach..
On non-workout nights I take 200 to 400 mg , on workout nights 400 to 800mg...definitely keeps me positive and helps me sleep well till the alarm. Only prob here in the Uk its expensive...no sides when taking 800mg a time.
I read a paper a while back and apparently 800mg is around where the magic happens but I feel good on the dosage I take....been taking it for over a year now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeXL

Have you personally used SAMe that you ordered from Amazon? I have heard concerns of product degradation related to warehousing of dietary supplements purchased from Amazon.

joshmaximus

I have used it and it works. But be careful with dosing since some people may get a little manic if they have prior history of mania. It protects the liver also,

At doses over 800 mg per day it can cause some diarrhea.
Nelson, do u take a multi vitamin? Or just the supplements in your thread about best supplements?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I take

1- A multivitamin/mineral supplement (Kirkland from Costco) twice per day.

Kirkland Signature Daily Multi Vitamins & Minerals Tablets, 500-Count Bottle

2- Jarrow NAC 600 mg twice per day

Jarrow Formulas N-A-C Sustain, Supports Liver and Lung Function, 600 mg, 100 Sustain tabs

3- Vitamin D 5,000 IU with breakfast (whatever brand is cheapest)

4- Coenzyme Q10 800 mg with breakfast

Doctor's Best High Absorption CoQ10 with BioPerine, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Naturally Fermented, Heart Health and Energy Production, 400 mg 60 Veggie Caps
by Doctor's Best

5- Acetyl-L-Carnitine two with breakfast

Acetyl L-Carnitine 1500mg Per Serving | Highest Potency Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl Supplement for Mentality, Energy, Fat Metabolization & Weight Loss | 120 Vegetarian Capsules
by Vitamorph Labs

6- One 2.5 mg chewable melatonin before dinner

Source Naturals Sleep Science Melatonin 2.5mg Orange Flavor - 240 Lozenges

7- One teaspoon of creatine with my morning coffee

Creatine Monohydrate Powder Micronized by BulkSupplements (1 kilogram)

8- 400 mg SAMe once per day (with coffee on empty stomach)

Jarrow Formulas SAM-e, Promotes Joint Strength, Mood and Brain Function, 400 mg, 30 Enteric- Coated tabs

9- Digestive enzymes before meals (to minimize bloating)

Source Naturals Essential Enzymes 500mg Bio-Aligned Multiple Supplement Herbal Defense for Digestion, Gas & Constipation Relief & Daily Digestive Health - Strong Immune System Support - 120 Capsules

On and off depending on how much work I have:

One with coffee in the morning along with SAM-e:

Alpha GPC Choline Supplement, Pharmaceutical Grade, Made in USA (60 Capsules 300mg)

You get all from Amazon

joshmaximus

I take

1- A multivitamin/mineral supplement (Kirkland from Costco) twice per day.

Kirkland Signature Daily Multi Vitamins & Minerals Tablets, 500-Count Bottle

2- Jarrow NAC 600 mg twice per day

Jarrow Formulas N-A-C Sustain, Supports Liver and Lung Function, 600 mg, 100 Sustain tabs

3- Vitamin D 5,000 IU with breakfast (whatever brand is cheapest)

4- Coenzyme Q10 800 mg with breakfast

Doctor's Best High Absorption CoQ10 with BioPerine, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Naturally Fermented, Heart Health and Energy Production, 400 mg 60 Veggie Caps
by Doctor's Best

5- Acetyl-L-Carnitine two with breakfast

Acetyl L-Carnitine 1500mg Per Serving | Highest Potency Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl Supplement for Mentality, Energy, Fat Metabolization & Weight Loss | 120 Vegetarian Capsules
by Vitamorph Labs

6- One 2.5 mg chewable melatonin before dinner

Source Naturals Sleep Science Melatonin 2.5mg Orange Flavor - 240 Lozenges

7- One teaspoon of creatine with my morning coffee

Creatine Monohydrate Powder Micronized by BulkSupplements (1 kilogram)

8- 400 mg SAMe once per day (with coffee on empty stomach)

Jarrow Formulas SAM-e, Promotes Joint Strength, Mood and Brain Function, 400 mg, 30 Enteric- Coated tabs

9- Digestive enzymes before meals (to minimize bloating)

Source Naturals Essential Enzymes 500mg Bio-Aligned Multiple Supplement Herbal Defense for Digestion, Gas & Constipation Relief & Daily Digestive Health - Strong Immune System Support - 120 Capsules

On and off depending on how much work I have:

One with coffee in the morning along with SAM-e:

Alpha GPC Choline Supplement, Pharmaceutical Grade, Made in USA (60 Capsules 300mg)

You get all from Amazon
Thanks nelson

Rabbit91476

Is this something I can introduce before I get my test dose dialed in. Or should I wait to try in until 6 weeks after my increase Tomorrow I increase from 100mg a week to 125.

Rabbit91476

I guess I should of worded it different. first I don't have depression. but will the increased sense of well being from sam e. interiere with my perception of how im feeling with my increase of test dose

oh and really enjoyed your book. going to share it with a co worker

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching