HIIT produces increases in muscle power and free testosterone in male masters athletes

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Endocr Connect. 2017 Aug 9;6(7):430-436. doi: 10.1530/EC-17-0159. Print 2017 Oct.

HIIT produces increases in muscle power and free testosterone in male masters athletes

Herbert P1, Hayes LD2, Sculthorpe NF3, Grace FM4.

Abstract

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) improves peak power output (PPO) in sedentary aging men but has not been examined in masters endurance athletes. Therefore, we investigated whether a six-week program of low-volume HIIT would (i) improve PPO in masters athletes and (ii) whether any change in PPO would be associated with steroid hormone perturbations. Seventeen male masters athletes (60 ± 5 years) completed the intervention, which comprised nine HIIT sessions over six weeks. HIIT sessions involved six 30-s sprints at 40% PPO, interspersed with 3 min active recovery. Absolute PPO (799 ± 205 W and 865 ± 211 W) and relative PPO (10.2 ± 2.0 W/kg and 11.0 ± 2.2 W/kg) increased from pre- to post-HIIT respectively (P < 0.001, Cohen’s d = 0.32−0.38). No significant change was observed for total testosterone (15.2 ± 4.2 nmol/L to 16.4 ± 3.3 nmol/L (P = 0.061, Cohen’s d = 0.32)), while a small increase in free testosterone occurred following HIIT (7.0 ± 1.2 ng/dL to 7.5 ± 1.1 ng/dL pre- to post-HIIT (P = 0.050, Cohen’s d = 0.40)). Six weeks’ HIIT improves PPO in masters athletes and increases free testosterone. Taken together, these data indicate there is a place for carefully timed HIIT epochs in regimes of masters athletes.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Dave B.

This is great Nelson, thanks for posting it.

I've added HIIT to my workouts and I'm looking for the ideal interval programming. This research goes with six 30-second intervals with 3 minutes in between, with a 40% PPO intensity. However I've also seen or read about 20 seconds/1 minute rest and 45 seconds/1 minute permutations, and some with intervals described as 80% intensity or higher, even.

Personally I like the 20-30 minute range, and I try to get in 4 or 5 intervals. Now that HIIT is such a hot topic in exercise science I'm looking forward to a lot more research results. Cool stuff.

wranglernator

This is great Nelson, thanks for posting it.

I've added HIIT to my workouts and I'm looking for the ideal interval programming. This research goes with six 30-second intervals with 3 minutes in between, with a 40% PPO intensity. However I've also seen or read about 20 seconds/1 minute rest and 45 seconds/1 minute permutations, and some with intervals described as 80% intensity or higher, even.

Personally I like the 20-30 minute range, and I try to get in 4 or 5 intervals. Now that HIIT is such a hot topic in exercise science I'm looking forward to a lot more research results. Cool stuff.

Ive been doing 10 second all out with 20 second recovery for 8 intervals
Im 49 yrs old and in decent shape
Im hoping to add an extra interval each week
I do this on my air bike 2-3 times a week
I finish off by doing 15 min of moderate intensity after the hiit

Nashtide

I've tried all manner of HIIT exercises. Biking, rowing, hand cycling etc. I've now settled on hitting the heavy bag. I put an app on my phone that times rounds and rest. Right now I'm doing 2 minute rounds and 30 second rests. I focus more on speed than power. I realize the long work bouts are not truly HIIT, but I find punching like crazy for 20 seconds causes a complete loss of form. So I go fast just not all out. I use this more as metcon than true HIIT. Done right it's a killer and it's super fun. An added bonus...I see a lot of people watching me&#128526;

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me