For the older guys or someone recovering from injury

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Hi Madman, here's a question for you.
Researchers recruited two groups of men for the study—all of them experienced weight lifters—who followed a 12-week, whole-body protocol. One group lifted lighter weights (up to 50 per cent of maximum strength) for sets ranging from 20 to 25 repetitions. The other group lifted heavier weights (up to 90 per cent of maximum strength) for eight to 12 repetitions. Both groups lifted to the point of failure.

How does one determine their maximum strength? Without injury trying to find out?

“At the point of fatigue, both groups would have been trying to maximally activate their muscle fibres to generate force,”
Is fatigue the same as failure? If not how do you determine you are fatigued?

Hi Madman, here's a question for you.

How does one determine their maximum strength? Without injury trying to find out?

Is fatigue the same as failure? If not how do you determine you are fatigued?

Maximum strength is determined by your one rep max. Failure means you can't perform another rep in good form.

I'm finding that as I have gotten older, working for a pump is the best way to maintain muscle and has led to some pretty good gains since I have been on TRT. Granted, the gains would probably not have happened if my test levels were still “in range” at 370. I find that working for a pump and increasing time under tension is the best way to workout because warming up is easier, tendons are ready, and the nitric oxide stack and cypionate lead to a fantastic pump. I don't even count reps most of the time, and because I train with bands I can adjust the tension mid set by merely moving closer or farther from the pivot point.

I'd love to lift heavy, sure. It would lead to injury and would lead to time off. I work for a pump and try to maintain as much muscle as possible. I think as we age, more muscle is an insurance policy to protect the body from falls and sarcopenia.

That sounds like a recipe for injury for this old guy. Do you even warm up? What is the process stack 3 45's on each side of a smithy and pray? haha

1RM is the only way to work out that formula of % and reps. If you're doing it on a smith machine you've already lost. (sarcasm)

Vince

Super Moderator
I'm one who always enjoyed using free weights, I've never got into machine but my girlfriend likes working out on the machines. She's not into free weights like I am. I always try to do good rep's with no cheating, I know it means I use less weight but I believe that's why I have less injuries.

DragonBits

I agree with the article, lifting a lighter weight 20-30 reps is just as effective as lifting heavy fewer reps.

I go with the 1 rep max to determine strength, though I always warm up with a few reps at a much lower weight.

80% of the time I use the machines, 20% of the time free weights. I do think free weights are a little better in they engage more stabilizer muscles while machines tend to isolate muscles.

buggies100

I love doing heavy sets, with reps at 4-5 and failure on set. It produces great gains, until......... It just has not been as good for elbows and shoulders. So I have moved over to 8-10 reps with lighter weight obviously. The other thing I have done to lighten the load and yet be effective is slow down the reps. So on the negative, say bench press, it is 4 seconds down and hold under tension, don't rest on chest, for a second and then push up. That slow negative is very good and muscle fatigue. Just FYI, your mileage may vary

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me