maximum age: Can you be too old to continue with TRT

Buy Lab Tests Online

DragonBits

One doctor I had chatted with a few years ago said he had one patient that recently quit TRT at age 90.

Makes me wonder, is there an age where TRT is no longer recommended? Where even TRT loses effectiveness?

What is the oldest person you have encountered on the forum or in real life that was on TRT? What about starting TRT, is 80 too old to start?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
One doctor I had chatted with a few years ago said he had one patient that recently quit TRT at age 90.

Makes me wonder, is there an age where TRT is no longer recommended? Where even TRT loses effectiveness?

What is the oldest person you have encountered on the forum or in real life that was on TRT? What about starting TRT, is 80 too old to start?

As far as losing effectiveness as one ages no and regarding age where trt is not recommended under the new 2018 (revised 2010) Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline it states in section:

2.4 - recommendations regarding men >65 years old.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/j...ExfgIV0tCtpsS8gj9RSH34oHawcjjD7yt4UEzd9AUQByc

Systemlord

Stopping TRT at 90 is only if you are dying to meet your maker, stopping TRT is not considered healthy. It would be no different than taking a guys healthy natural testosterone levels at 90 and forcing his testosterone levels into a low testosterone state. I believe there's a huge misconception that TRT is somehow a drug or unhealthy, it's a hormone identical to the real deal.

TRT doesn't lose effectiveness, it's note a magic cure that will fix everything that's wrong with you. If you eat like crap and trash you body "you" will lose effectiveness. If you have a heart condition, you should use caution and remember your body's other systems aren't what they used to be and to take it easy. I've heard success stories of 80 year olds going on TRT who were unable to exercise and now you can't keep the guy in the house because their too busy fly fishing and enjoying life.

I saw a Carl Reiner(age 96) interview the other day. They asked him about sex. He said, "Have you ever tried to put an oster into a slot machine?"
IMO even at age 90 having healthy hormone lvl has to be a good thing. Probably not for sex but everything else that comes with balanced hormones.

1Draw

Dr Eugene Shippen in his book The Testosterone Syndrome said he started treating his golfing pal at 80 after blood test showed his T had dropped considerably so, I would think there is no age limit to start with proper test and symptoms.

CoastWatcher

I bet that is a pretty happy 84 year old, now lets wait for his posts on what the hell else is going wrong and whether he needs an AI, or if HCG will help his nuts.
We may see him here, but my doctor dials fellows in pretty well. I would appreciate hearing from him as I don't recall any other members at EM in their 80s.

Last edited:
I bet that is a pretty happy 84 year old, now lets wait for his posts on what the hell else is going wrong and whether he needs an AI, or if HCG will help his nuts.

Here is hoping that 84 year old also got his wife some HRT support since that sex will be quite painful for one of them without it.

swellco

This is very interesting to me. My father who is close to being 80 seems to have all symptoms of low T that I would assume I inherited from him (I'm 50 and diagnosed with 168 total t). He is on Kaiser plan so they are not proactive. He is constantly complaining about joint pains and “arthritis”. Docs had him drugged up on morphine till we got him off.
Would love to learn more as I think my father would benefit but unfortunately he has a pacemaker and Docs usaually shy away from TRT when heart problems exist.
Mall input would be greatly appreciated!

Hoosier52

My 93 year old dad does TRT. Poor protocol with monthly injections. He's trying to get his doctors up-to-speed on effective protocols.

DragonBits

With advancing age there is also a reduction in androgen receptor concentration in some target tissues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2544367/

Which is to say, the same testosterone dosage is less effective with advancing age.

Great research, as always madman! I don't understand how guys can go on TRT and then second guess the decision. If you have done the research, you gotta burn the boats and start all the lifestyle, diet, exercise, and medical consults needed and just do it. Your research is one of the highlights of this forum, always backed by solid research. Thanks for these studies madman.

DragonBits

Madman, so the conclusion of this article is:

[FONT=&quot]Conclusions
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Among older men with symptomatic hypogonadism, treatment with testosterone gel for 1 year compared with placebo was associated with a significantly greater increase in coronary artery noncalcified plaque volume, as measured by CCTA. Larger studies are needed to understand the clinical implications of this finding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure what to do with this conclusion? What do you suggest? Better diet?

To be clear, I am in favor of testosterone replacement, but I was wondering if this is still effective when we get to our late 80s and 90s? And what to do about it. If the number of androgen receptor concentration declines with advancing age, then perhaps older, meaning old than 85, we can increase the level of testosterone to compensate?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale