1. #1

    What is the latest treatment for diabetes

    As the title, I am a second type diabetes patient, what is the latest treatment for diabetes

  2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    51
    Help Excelmale

    Defy
     

  3. #2
    There is lots of discussion on it, you should try putting it in the search bar above you will faster results with a broad request. People are busy on the weekend, I usually find I can get a lot of info that narrows down who I should be pin pointing for help.

  4. #3
    Member madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by elsoar View Post
    As the title, I am a second type diabetes patient, what is the latest treatment for diabetes
    This may pique your interest!

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5027002/

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by elsoar View Post
    As the title, I am a second type diabetes patient, what is the latest treatment for diabetes
    I highly recommend to you the book "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard Bernstein, whose protocol represents the cutting edge of diabetes treatment. His belief is that everyone, including diabetics, can and should have normal blood sugars. His regimen is tough, but it works. Also lots of good information on this site.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dnfuss View Post
    I highly recommend to you the book "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard Bernstein, whose protocol represents the cutting edge of diabetes treatment. His belief is that everyone, including diabetics, can and should have normal blood sugars. His regimen is tough, but it works. Also lots of good information on this site.
    Very good info. When you first read Dr. Bernstein's plan you will say no way can I do that, but you may find you can modify things a bit to get the results you need. It is going to come down to diet, exercise, and possibly the addition of some oral agent(metformin). What is your current HbA1c?

  7. #6
    Moderator Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    7,789
    I would recommend a low carb diet along with metformin to control type 2 diabetes.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JV63 View Post
    Very good info. When you first read Dr. Bernstein's plan you will say no way can I do that, but you may find you can modify things a bit to get the results you need. It is going to come down to diet, exercise, and possibly the addition of some oral agent(metformin). What is your current HbA1c?
    In Bernstein's view, the goal is to achieve truly normal blood sugars, the same as healthy non-diabetics, i.e., fasting blood sugar in the mid-80s, 100 or below one hour after a meal and fasting blood sugar by two hours. These are the numbers for healthy non-diabetics with truly normal blood sugars no matter what they eat or how much (or how little) they exercise.

    If you are a diabetic (or pre-diabetic for that matter), Dr. Bernstein's protocol (highly simplifed) for achieving truly normal blood sugars in a nutshell in order of application is

    1. Low-carb diet. Dr. Bernstein 's diet is below 30 grams per day for average-sized adults. If your blood sugar control is only marginally compromised, you might first try below 100 grams per day, then 50, then 30.

    2. If insufficient to achieve normal blood sugars, add exercise, both resistance and cardio.

    3. If still insufficient, add oral agents. Metformin first and foremost. If that doesn't work, there are others to try.

    4. If still insufficient, add insulin.

    HgbA1c can be a useful marker to track, but alone is not sufficient to either diagnose diabetes or determine if blood sugar is being managed properly (of note to those on TRT, blood donation will result in HgbA1c lower than might otherwise be expected given one's average blood sugars).

    It is primarily high post-meal spikes in blood glucose (over 140), and secondarily fasting blood sugar, that appear to drive diabetic complications and progression of the condition. Diabetics, including Type 1s, who achieve and consistently maintain truly normal blood sugars can avoid complications and live a full life-span.

  9. #8
    Moderator Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    7,789
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

  10. #9
    Yep. Dr. Bernstein's plan will work no doubt. He's living proof of that. When a person sees what he recommends regarding carbs after eating like most people do it is quite a shock.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    63
    Dr. Bernstein's diet plan isn't much different from some of the older bodybuilding diets. My last A1C was at 5.6. My doc doesn't seem too concerned, but I am. I'm going to start cutting carbs more, and see how it goes. Since I weight train, I also ingest whey protein on a daily basis, which will have to stop. I'll sub in powdered egg protein.

    I wonder how difficult it will be to keep my calories up, and not turn into a skeleton. I 6'2", about 180lbs.

  12. #11
    I'm Type 2 as well and have been for years. It took some time but I managed to eliminate all sugar from my diet.. no more soft drinks etc. I eat whole foods and take 1000mg metformin daily. My A1C used to be 6.8 but now I'm down to 5.3. What's important to ascertain is that you truly are a type 2 diabetic. Because most MD's who treat patients are not yet aware of Type 3C diabetes. If you are Type 3C you need to know so you can adjust your protocol effectively. Many people who have type 3C(a new designation) think they are type 2, and so do their MD's.

    Here's a good site
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguejim View Post
    Dr. Bernstein's diet plan isn't much different from some of the older bodybuilding diets. My last A1C was at 5.6. My doc doesn't seem too concerned, but I am. I'm going to start cutting carbs more, and see how it goes. Since I weight train, I also ingest whey protein on a daily basis, which will have to stop. I'll sub in powdered egg protein.

    I wonder how difficult it will be to keep my calories up, and not turn into a skeleton. I 6'2", about 180lbs.
    I think you are right to be concerned if you consistently have an HgbA1c of 5.6%. That equates to an estimated average serum glucose of approximately 115 mg./dl. What is your typical fasting blood sugar upon arising? What are your typical blood sugars at one hour after a large mixed meal? At two hours?

    Regarding whey protein, have you tested and seen a rise in your blood sugar after its ingestion? I ask because there are studies indicating that whey protein can reduce post-prandial blood sugars in some patients, but has no effect or raises it in others. In my own case, I have noticed no real effect on blood sugar attributable to whey protein. Before you give it up, you might consider doing N=1 self-testing to see how it actually affects your blood sugar. FWIW, I tried egg protein once as an experiment. It did not dissolve at all well in water and I did not like the taste (also noticed no apparent effect on blood sugar either positive or negative). I went back to whey.

  14. #13
    Moderator Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    7,789
    Quote Originally Posted by dnfuss View Post
    I think you are right to be concerned if you consistently have an HgbA1c of 5.6%. That equates to an estimated average serum glucose of approximately 115 mg./dl. What is your typical fasting blood sugar upon arising? What are your typical blood sugars at one hour after a large mixed meal? At two hours?

    Regarding whey protein, have you tested and seen a rise in your blood sugar after its ingestion? I ask because there are studies indicating that whey protein can reduce post-prandial blood sugars in some patients, but has no effect or raises it in others. In my own case, I have noticed no real effect on blood sugar attributable to whey protein. Before you give it up, you might consider doing N=1 self-testing to see how it actually affects your blood sugar. FWIW, I tried egg protein once as an experiment. It did not dissolve at all well in water and I did not like the taste (also noticed no apparent effect on blood sugar either positive or negative). I went back to whey.
    For me whey protein does raise my insulin levels, after using whey protein for 3 months I had my worst A1c and fasting glucose that I had in years. When I discontinue all my levels my back to good ranges.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ratbag View Post
    I'm Type 2 as well and have been for years. It took some time but I managed to eliminate all sugar from my diet.. no more soft drinks etc. I eat whole foods and take 1000mg metformin daily. My A1C used to be 6.8 but now I'm down to 5.3. What's important to ascertain is that you truly are a type 2 diabetic. Because most MD's who treat patients are not yet aware of Type 3C diabetes. If you are Type 3C you need to know so you can adjust your protocol effectively. Many people who have type 3C(a new designation) think they are type 2, and so do their MD's.

    Here's a good site
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
    Some additional background on Type 3C Diabetes. https://www.excelmale.com/showthread...6210#post86210
    I am not a physician. Comments offered here are for discussion purposes only. Please consult your doctor before initiating, changing, or stopping any therapy.

  16. #15
    Member madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by dnfuss View Post
    I think you are right to be concerned if you consistently have an HgbA1c of 5.6%. That equates to an estimated average serum glucose of approximately 115 mg./dl. What is your typical fasting blood sugar upon arising? What are your typical blood sugars at one hour after a large mixed meal? At two hours?

    Regarding whey protein, have you tested and seen a rise in your blood sugar after its ingestion? I ask because there are studies indicating that whey protein can reduce post-prandial blood sugars in some patients, but has no effect or raises it in others. In my own case, I have noticed no real effect on blood sugar attributable to whey protein. Before you give it up, you might consider doing N=1 self-testing to see how it actually affects your blood sugar. FWIW, I tried egg protein once as an experiment. It did not dissolve at all well in water and I did not like the taste (also noticed no apparent effect on blood sugar either positive or negative). I went back to whey.


    Conclusion of this study

    Effects of WP supplementation on glycemia in T2DM depend on the baseline characteristics

    - lower body weight, normal triglyceride and lower GLP-1 levels predict glucose lowering

    - in contrast obesity, hypertriglyceridemia and high baseline GLP-1 predict increased glucose response

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5530249/

  17. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    63
    In July 2017, I weighed 202lbs. My A1C in April 2017 was 5.8. Anyway, I began a bodybuilding diet July 2017, and dropped my weight down to 178lbs in 6 weeks. No refined carbs, fast food...I did begin taking whey protein on a daily basis and joined a gym where I have been going 5 days a week. So, my current A1C as of April 2018 is 5.6. I'll be seeing a new FNP this upcoming week. I'm firing my current Dr.
    From my comp metabolic panel, 2/18:
    Glucose...103
    Est AVG Glucose...114
    Last edited by Roguejim; 05-06-2018 at 05:55 PM.

  18. #17
    Moderator Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    7,789
    Here's my labs from October of 2017, A1C 5.2
    https://www.excelmale.com/showthread...l-From-10-9-17
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best Vitamin D Choices for Diabetes
    By Orrin Israel in forum Nutrition and Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2018, 02:35 PM
  2. Testosterone Therapy: Adhering to Treatment/Modes of Treatment
    By CoastWatcher in forum Testosterone- Miscellaneous Studies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2017, 10:28 AM
  3. Misdiagnosing Type 3c Diabetes
    By CoastWatcher in forum Health & Wellness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2017, 05:19 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM
  5. Popular Diabetes Drug Decreases Testosterone in Men with Diabetes
    By Excel Male in forum Testosterone Basics & Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •