TRT and lifetime usage

Buy Lab Tests Online
Who here has been on TRT for 20-30 plus years? Since it is a hormone, it doesn't seem like something you can build a "tolerance" to but i've heard some reports of those who have. Also, have you ran into any health issues from long term use?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

Nelson has been on a TRT protocol for decades.

We have a number of threads, one currently active, on this topic. In my own case, the known health risks that can present from low testosterone, and the success I have so far enjoyed, are enough to remove any anxiety about TRT.

Last edited:
Nelson has been on a TRT protocol for decades.

We have a number of threads, one currently active, on this topic. In my own case, the known health risks that can present from low testosterone, and the success I have so far enjoyed, are enough to remove any anxiety about TRT.

Also have to remember that 20 -30 years is a long time and age and time are going to kill us all eventually. It's impossible to tease out what causes health problems. Many will blame it on testosterone, which is likely to not be the reason. CoastWatcher is spot on, there will be more problems, especially quality of life problems from low testosterone-lethargy, poor concentration, low libido, sarcopenia, and balance issues.

We're going to decline anyway. When we do, it ain't gonna be from testosterone if we are doing it right under good medical supervision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Checkdis

Also have to remember that 20 -30 years is a long time and age and time are going to kill us all eventually. It’s impossible to tease out what causes health problems. Many will blame it on testosterone, which is likely to not be the reason. CoastWatcher is spot on, there will be more problems, especially quality of life problems from low testosterone-lethargy, poor concentration, low libido, sarcopenia, and balance issues.

We’re going to decline anyway. When we do, it ain’t gonna be from testosterone if we are doing it right under good medical supervision.

There are unicorns out there though. I am 29 and more than likely be on TRT for life... I have good genes, family lives to 80+. And who knows what will happen 20-30 years from now, could be new medication? As long as I eat healthy, work out, cardio, and out live Mother Nature and other entities for as long as I can... can there still be a tolerance build up?

lexer

If you dont build up a tolernace to your OWN testosterone, you wont build up a tolerance to prescription testosterone. Very simple. Its not going to happen.
testosterone is safe long term unless you start upping the dosage in order to keep gaining more muscle like a bodybuilder or feel the need to constantly have a super high libido which isnt normal by the way.

Vince

Super Moderator
I enjoy living life one day at a time, like everyone I make plans but for some reason they always change. I try to get the proper labs, take the proper meds, eat the right Foods and try to enjoy today at its fullest.

yeah i'm 29 too....i'm just trying to find people who have been on it since they were my age or longer and they are living healthy and have not had complications stemming from TRT therapy directly over a super long term...

CoastWatcher

yeah i'm 29 too....i'm just trying to find people who have been on it since they were my age or longer and they are living healthy and have not had complications stemming from TRT therapy directly over a super long term...
What do you see as the alternative? All long-term therapies carry rewards and consequences. I have primary adrenal insufficiency and require hydrocortisone on a daily basis. In both of those cases ongoing monitoring is required, and periodic adjustments are certainly not surprising.

I have dealt with issues from the cortisone since I was in my early 30s and am 60 years old now. But without the cortisone I'd be dead. Would I be dead if I had to abandon TRT? Unlikely, but I was living a pale imitation of life before I started therapy and dialed it in. The likely reward, as I tell people, is well worth whatever minimal risk may be present.

madman

Super Moderator

Even if there were men on here that have been using trt long term understand that regardless of one using doses of testosterone to replace physiological levels to treat/improve symptoms of low t aside from keeping an eye on blood work and having blood markers in a healthy range.

Can you truly get a definite answer as to the health effects of long term trt use by these men as over the last 10-20-30 years what negative/positive changes have there been during that time in their lifestyle factors-use of cigarettes and alcohol, illicit drugs, prescription medications, diet/nutrient levels, exercise, stress, body fat levels, sleep quality, pollution/environmental toxins, as all can contribute to ones general health (short/long) term.

Even than ones genetics, sensitivity of the AR (androgen receptor), polymorphism of the AR and CAG repeat length (short/long), age all play a role in how one responds to the effects (positive/negative) of testosterone use.

AGEING in and of itself will cause deterioration in health to a certain degree!

Last edited:
Yes, this is true, there are a lot of variables. However, I am sure there are quite a few people who dont live in a polluted area, take minimal illicit drug/prescription drugs and are generally mentally and physically healthy that could share some input on some of the long term side effects. It seems like every medical journal I pull up has side effects listed such as prostate problems, lipid issues, increased risk of blood clots and prolonged erections...I'm not knocking TRT because I am on it and will most likely need it forever since all my tests came back exceedingly low.
However, I am feeling some guilt that maybe there is something I could have done such as meditate more, eat healthier foods and workout less intensely. I was just at a low point in my life, had lost a lot of ambition and hope and it seemed like the best option. I am still however, trying to weigh my options since I've been on it less than a month and I'm just trying to gauge the risk/reward factor. Thank you all for your advice though i do appreciate it....that video helped ease my mind a bit too.

blackebob

I am going on 50. If I get my ticket punched in late 60's from this, so be it. If I can get a bump on my bicep like MM in the pic above I will take it. Spend my days watching Jerry Springer, choosing what buffet to eat for lunch? Nah! I will take the mountain bike, and loving my wife every day I can. I see to many people in their 60's that look like they are 80.

I always think of the movie Cocoon when I see one of these threads!

j4ever

like someone mentioned above, what do you see as an alternative? if it is bothering you that bad, and you have only been on for a month, get off and make all the life style changes you can and see what happens, I know for me I did not see any alternative, and when I first started I thought man a couple of injects a week for life is going to suck, but it nothing to it really, also when my HCT was going up ( it has stabilized now ) I thought shit I going to have to a get 3-4 donations a year, but if that is what I would have had to do so be it, the benefit from trt has been much to great for me to worry about the things that I mentioned or anything that may lay ahead, I was at a low point with damn near no motivation/drive left to keep up my lifestyle, I like to be active, from being in the gym, biking, hiking and climbing, for me to be able to do these things is like mental therapy for me, and I was close to throwing in the towel.

James

atlien2488 - I take it simply because I was low and now that I'm on a good protocol, I feel better. Few have injected benzyl alcohol & benzyl benzoate for 20 - 30 years (although a few guys here have), yet even if they did, as another poster said, so many other things can influence their results. One thing I underestimated was the affect testosterone replacement could have on other labs (cholesterol, SHBG, hematocrit, etc). The pharmaceutical companies have done a masterful job marketing these drugs to men, playing on their insecurities.

Giovanni73

I've been on TRT for 8 weeks, had to change my dose to 3 injections 50 mon/wed/fri... I keep saying to myself, why the hell are you doing this? My pre-TRT total T was 376, after 7 weeks on 100 mgs a week, my total T came back 367 (trough day) lower than before I started... WTF? Now I am on 3 injections a week, because of a low SHBG (20) Ugh... this TRT life. I too think, what am I doing to my health in the long run.

Yeah it seems like its for the best though overall though once it starts working.....that is pretty crazy. In my research, ive never heard of it going down after starting trt, much less at 8 weeks later and 3 injections per week....are you overtraining or drinking frequently? What is your estrogen and thyroid levels?

Yes, this is true, there are a lot of variables. However, I am sure there are quite a few people who dont live in a polluted area, take minimal illicit drug/prescription drugs and are generally mentally and physically healthy that could share some input on some of the long term side effects. It seems like every medical journal I pull up has side effects listed such as prostate problems, lipid issues, increased risk of blood clots and prolonged erections...I'm not knocking TRT because I am on it and will most likely need it forever since all my tests came back exceedingly low.
However, I am feeling some guilt that maybe there is something I could have done such as meditate more, eat healthier foods and workout less intensely. I was just at a low point in my life, had lost a lot of ambition and hope and it seemed like the best option. I am still however, trying to weigh my options since I've been on it less than a month and I'm just trying to gauge the risk/reward factor. Thank you all for your advice though i do appreciate it....that video helped ease my mind a bit too.

You've been on for less than a month, but your anxiety about this indicates that it isn't for you, at least not now. I suggest you get off, do all those other things that you think may help, and go back on in another 10 years or more if you think you need it. If you don't think it's for you, then the psychosomatic part of this will gnaw you to death. Sounds like you were looking for an easy fix to your problems and are having second thoughts.

Get off, clean up your life-mind, body, spirit, relationships, and employment-and reconsider down the road.

S1W

ATL,

I’m somewhat young for TRT too (late 30s) and can relate to some of your concerns. I’ve noticed that younger guys seem to come at this with more reservations than older guys most likely due to the fact that they’re facing a much longer lifetime of treatment.

About 1.5 years ago, I started, got cold feet, and decided to quit and try to do everything in my power to bring levels up naturally. My T levels didn’t budge. So I decided to hop back on and really give it a chance.

Also note that the doubts go both ways - if you stop now you’ll always be wondering if maybe you shouldn’t have and if life could be better with TRT.

TRT is no magic bullet but I think it’s worth a try. Learn all you can, find a good provider, and give it a shot. There will be a learning curve and there will be bumps in the road, but a lot of the more experienced forum members on here seem to think it’s well worth it once you get dialed in.

Mountain man- i dont think it makes sense getting off now, my natural levels are most likely shut down anyway
S1w- thanks for the kind words, youre right, i should ride it out for a bit to see if it drastically changes things. It will most likely be nagging me as to what direction my life could have gone in....

Last edited:
Mountain man- i dont think it makes sense getting off now, my natural levels are most likely shut down anyway
S1w- thanks for the kind words, youre right, i should ride it out for a bit to see if it drastically changes things. It will most likely be nagging me as to what direction my life could have gone in....

Don't know a lot about it, but I believe there is some way to restart your natural testosterone, possibly with closed or HCG. Maybe someone else knows something about this?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me