Growth Hormone and Cancer

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jinzang

I got curious about the risks of growth hormone after seeing that many anti-aging clinics offer growth hormone or its secretagogues. The best research paper I could find on the subject is this review from 2005 "Does Growth Hormone Cause Cancer?" I don't think it's the last word on the subject and am curious about what other people think.

Convincing experimental data suggest that the GH/IGF‐1 axis plays an important role in cancer development and behaviour. Epidemiological studies have supported an association with cancer, but not with tumour induction per se, although this is a distinction that is important mechanistically but not clinically. Acromegaly is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer; the magnitude of the risk is controversial but appears linked to elevated GH/IGF‐1 levels. The relevance to physiological replacement in patients with GHD is uncertain. Extensive study of cancer survivors treated with GH has failed to demonstrate an increase in tumor recurrence and de novo cancers but a small increase in second malignant neoplasms. One long‐term follow‐up study of children treated with human pituitary GH suggested an increase in colorectal cancer and lymphoma, but surveillance data from many thousands of children and adults treated with GH have not shown any increase in cancer risk. However, it is prudent for further long‐term surveillance to continue. Existing experimental data have shown the proliferative and antiapoptotic effects of IGF‐1, which would provide an environment that favors survival of genetically damaged cells. Even if such an environment had only a small influence on survival of such damaged cells, exposure to a large number of ‘at risk' cells over many years, although not inducing cancer, could serve to accelerate carcinogenesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

captain

I had a doctor tell me he thought GH and diabetes was cause for increased prostate cancer in diabetics. Something to do with insulin and GH release at the same time. I didn't like the doctor and he didn't know much about anything else so I don't take what he thinks to seriously.

Blackhawk

Sorry I don't have the references handy, but I have been researching prostate cancer since I have high PSA. I want to do what I can through diet and some supplements to bring down my risk.

I have indeed found several references to IGF-1 promoting prostate cancers, enough to take it seriously. I am cutting back on animal protein, increasing vegetable protein and cutting WAY back on dairy. According to the late PeakT-Lee Meyers, his research found that whey protein does not increase IGF-1 so, I'm continuing with it as protein supplement.

captain

You may find that iodine deficiency is linked to prostate cancer and so on. Is it the GH or the GH promoting it because of a deficiency in something else?

ratbag

I've read in a few places that too low IGF-1 or too high can cause cancers. Keeping it at reasonable levels seems to be the ticket.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me