New to the Site - How I Got Here

Buy Lab Tests Online

Dave B.

Thank you Nelson Vergel for building this site, I'm still getting oriented but this site is already helping me.

My story thus far:

I'm 46, almost 47....

Been feeling all the usual "vague" declining health symptoms like fatigue, loss of energy, muscle weakness, and so on. I think this slow creep has been going for several years just incrementally. Nothing I could put my finger on really. I'm busy with a wife and kid and job(s) to do, you know the drill. Pretty healthy, no issues most of my adult life.

In the last two years, though, I've had a cascade of injuries and odd conditions. Pulled muscles a lot, including shoulder, back, groin (left) and groin (right), now sciatica-like back pain that I'm in PT for that will not go away and I've battled now for 6+ months.

At one point about a year ago I was somewhat shocked at how my shoulders and arms seemed to have atrophied. So I resolved to go get back in the gym and lift weights, after mostly focusing on running/biking for several years. In my mind I just told myself that it was my lack of focus on my upper body development that was a culprit, but it really did seem like my muscles were getting weak too suddenly. I've had weird acne problems, skin redness, and basically it seems like my skin has changed character along with all these other issues

The weight lifting helped my strength, but I've also added belly fat and I have an overall smooth and flabby appearance everywhere. In the past when I hit the gym I could get in shape, now I think I look worse than before and I'm just bulky-fat.

I am growing a bit of a beer belly, but I don't drink beer, am a vegetarian, don't smoke or even drink very much. So, I finally called my doctor and said what the hell is going on.

I should mention also that my libido is way down from what it used to be even say, 12 months ago. I guess I can put up with a lot but like most men when my johnson stops wanting to work, it merits a call to the doctor! I don't have ED, but I started tracking morning erections and have had exactly one in the last 30 days.

My GP said he would run Thyroid and Testosterone tests to see what was up. His best guess was it was a Thyroid problem. Apparently these were the basic tests that just track total values:

Test 1:
Thyroid 2.040 (Ref range .465-4.68)
Testosterone Total 220.0 ng/dl (Ref range 132-813)

Test 2:
Testosterone Total 280 ng/dl
LH - 3.3
FSH - 3.2

I think the lab screwed the #2 order up (or the doc's office did) because instead of running more specific Testosterone tests (Free &; Total) they ran Thyroid again and got the same result as test #1. Annoying.

So, my doc says he suspects Secondary Hypogonadism and referred me to an endocrinologist.

Visited Dr. Endo, repeated my whole story again, and he orders me the much more specific testosterone tests, a test for prednisolone, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

I had already discovered this website by then and asked him about estrogen testing. He said NOT NECESSARY.

Is this a red flag? Or could he just be thinking that hey, if test is low and LH and FSH are low-normal, there's nothing to convert ... so ... ??? Any opinions you guys have would be interesting to hear.

Now I am simply waiting for test results to come back. After I found this site and read around I went to Discounted Labs and ordered myself a Sensitive estrogen test. I want it for a reference for myself, even if the doc doesn't want it.

I think next Tuesday will be the earliest I will hear anything from Endo, and even longer wait for estrogen test results since I had that blood draw just today.

Now that I write my story out it sounds just like your typical cliche low-testosterone story, but I really didn't think this was happening, even while it was happening? If that makes sense at all.

Anyway it looks like I have lots of reading to do to keep me busy while I wait.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

Welcome to Excelmale. You asked if it was a red-flag, your doctor claiming estradiol testing wasn't necessary. Yes - it's a significant problem. Frankly, it's a sign he doesn't understand how the game is played. It's not surprising; the vast majority of us here at EM walked through the valley of medical ignorance. You're fighting an uphill battle with doctors like this.

Dave B.

Welcome to Excelmale. You asked if it was a red-flag, your doctor claiming estradiol testing wasn't necessary. Yes - it's a significant problem. Frankly, it's a sign he doesn't understand how the game is played. It's not surprising; the vast majority of us here at EM walked through the valley of medical ignorance. You're fighting an uphill battle with doctors like this.

Thank you for replying CoastWatcher. That is what I'm afraid of. I guess I have to wait and see what he says after my labs come back. I'm not afraid to speak my mind or change doctors if it comes to that.

CoastWatcher

Thank you for replying CoastWatcher. That is what I'm afraid of. I guess I have to wait and see what he says after my labs come back. I'm not afraid to speak my mind or change doctors if it comes to that.
We have to be our own advocates...as you're finding out. Let us know how this unfolds.

Dave B.

Well my numbers came back and I am getting a prescription to start TRT soon at a dose of 100mg.

Numbers and (Ref Range)

Total T - 314 (250-1100)
Free T - 42 (46-224)
Bioavailable T - 91 (110-575)
SHBG - 30 (10-50)
Albumin - 4.7 (3.6 - 5.1)
Prolactin 3.1 (2-18)
Estradiol 15.8 (8-35)

And last,
Hematocrit 50.5, damn.

Oh, I also got a Vitamin B-12 test and came out 390 (232-1235) should I be supplementing B-12 also?

So my Albumin is sort of high, and SHBG in mid range, but Free+Bioavailable T is below range. Endo doc says we will have to monitor my hematocrit closely. I'm not thrilled with it being already rather elevated before even starting TRT. Thoughts or opinions welcome.

Last edited:

blackebob

What ever you do keep track of those labs in case you switch doctors. Check with pharmacys for Drs who prescribe TRT with happy patients.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Welcome to ExcelMale. Glad you found us!

The reason most doctors do not think running an estradiol blood test is needed for men is because it is not mentioned by any medical guidelines groups. Yes, I know!

TRT guidelines.jpg

Dave B.

Thanks for the reply Nelson!

If it weren't for this site I would not have known to get my own estradiol test to establish a baseline before my treatments started. I am using the resources on your site and will continue to support you and refer others here every chance I get.

Re-Ride

You are not on TRT. Not obese. Your GP didn't think estradiol testing was called for and I agreed before I even read that you had gone forward with it. You have work to do before you consider TRT. Like ruling out sleep apnea and checking other serum nutrient levels esp iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium.

You are a vegetarian. Think pseudoestrogens ( not detected on estradiol tests ), lectins and other plant anti-nutrients. Diet modification might well boost your natural T to reduce your symptoms. Yes you can start taking B-12 and it should be the methyl form in lozenge.

An injected nutrient formula may well yield relief that you can realize within weeks. Only a small quantity of what you ingest gets absorbed. Check out formulas such as those offered on Defy. A limited amount of oral supplementation may be indicated. These pages offer a wealth of knowledge on male nutrition. Avoid going overboard. Finally, rule out environmental endocrine disrupters.

Dave B.

Good thoughts, thanks.

My iron, calcium, etc. were all normal. I'm waiting for results on a recent vitamin D test.

Supplement-wise, is there much to be done to resolve elevated hematocrit?

Re-Ride

Dave, How high is your hematocrit? Members responded with supplement suggestions in my march labs post aimed more at high blood pressure than for the high hematocrit. I am dealing with both.

Good thoughts, thanks.

My iron, calcium, etc. were all normal. I'm waiting for results on a recent vitamin D test.

Supplement-wise, is there much to be done to resolve elevated hematocrit?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me