Low SHBG is Correlated to Fatty Liver

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is an influencing factor for the association of SHBG with metabolic syndrome in diabetes patients

SHBG level was significantly lower in NAFLD patients than in non-NAFLD patients (P < 0.001). In the multiple linear regression analysis, lower serum SHBG level was strongly correlated with a higher incidence of NAFLD, but not MS components.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15232-9

Thanks, Madman. I edited the post to show some text that may tell readers a little more.

I also suggest for our readers to review this interesting thread:

How to Prevent Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
All is great but my time (as you probably have noticed) on this site is limited as I build Clinic Optimizers to train doctors about TRT and other therapies. I think the time has come to bring change to the providers since no matter how much time I spend educating patients the field will never improve unless physicians and mid-level practitioners get up-to-date clinical information to help their patients better and prevent all the mistakes we have read about on ExcelMale.com

I appreciate the help from all our great moderators and members like you who are always making sure they are there for others that come here daily seeking answers.

Id still like to see even just one guy present on the forums with low SHBG that has ANY of these conditions, hint...there hasn't been one single guy in my time on these forums that can say with even a trickle of certainty that they have a fatty liver, or either of the (very made up) "conditions" of Metabolic Syndrome or Insulin Resistance. Facts as they are in the real world is that there are plenty of guys that can be presented with no reason for low SHBG that are otherwise healthy. Directly contrary to the "studies".

ERO

Id still like to see even just one guy present on the forums with low SHBG that has ANY of these conditions, hint...there hasn't been one single guy in my time on these forums that can say with even a trickle of certainty that they have a fatty liver, or either of the (very made up) "conditions" of Metabolic Syndrome or Insulin Resistance. Facts as they are in the real world is that there are plenty of guys that can be presented with no reason for low SHBG that are otherwise healthy. Directly contrary to the "studies".

I am with Vince on this one as well. I have never seen a low SHBG guy on any TRT forum with any of these issues, either. Not saying they don't exist, but they seem to be unicorns.

meanbreen

For what its worth my SHBG was low teens 6 months ago but is now low 20's after I started taking thyroid medication. Hypothyroid is a known cause of low SHBG. This could be some people's issues. I felt nothing from TRT until I added in thryoid meds. (I have commented this on a few low SHBG posts, sorry if I'm annoying anyone with it lol).

ERO

For what its worth my SHBG was low teens 6 months ago but is now low 20's after I started taking thyroid medication. Hypothyroid is a known cause of low SHBG. This could be some people's issues. I felt nothing from TRT until I added in thryoid meds. (I have commented this on a few low SHBG posts, sorry if I'm annoying anyone with it lol).

That is great news and I am glad that has helped you! I am on thyroid support (T3 and T4) but it has not done anything for my low SHBG or done anything that I can feel or notice at all. On my next consult I am going to ask if we can ramp up the dose or quit it altogether as it seems to just cost me money instead of helping with anything.

Im sorry but that's statistically a non-event. It's nothing.

My current theory though for us low SHBG guys in E run rampant, probably need to at least individually investigate an LC/MS/MS closer to 20 and I think we really need to start pulling Free Estrogen, but that's just a thought. My Free T (of course) is astronomical at over twice the lab range but my LC/MS/MS still runs 40 even with .25mg EOD.
Primary complaint would be night sweats and/or being overly hot or warm in bed. I mean, my heat is set @ 62 and I have to run the ceiling fan on high early in the night, then I'm cold in the early morning.

meanbreen

That is great news and I am glad that has helped you! I am on thyroid support (T3 and T4) but it has not done anything for my low SHBG or done anything that I can feel or notice at all. On my next consult I am going to ask if we can ramp up the dose or quit it altogether as it seems to just cost me money instead of helping with anything.
Yeah I think it is just one piece of the puzzle. Also, my shbg was in the 40,s one year ago while on Clomid. If only I could figure out mechanism there. Was it artificially high or no?

charile12

I have FLD for at least 15 years. Am not a drinker. I am 6'1 193 pounds. My shbg is low. Of course other factors could correlate to my shbg. Here are my labs. Also my AST and ALT get slightly elevated when I gain weight. Not sure why I can't attach an image. But check my thread it's in there. Check 2/5 post. https://www.excelmale.com/forum/showthread.php?13469-Current-TRT-Protocol-85mg-E6D-thyroid&p=97670

I have FLD for at least 15 years. Am not a drinker. I am 6'1 193 pounds. My shbg is low. Of course other factors could correlate to my shbg. Here are my labs. Also my AST and ALT get slightly elevated when I gain weight. Not sure why I can't attach an image. But check my thread it's in there. Check 2/5 post. https://www.excelmale.com/forum/showthread.php?13469-Current-TRT-Protocol-85mg-E6D-thyroid&p=97670

exactly my point. Your FLD probably has nothing at all to do with SHBG. Point be as I said, not one guy can proved that any of that has anything at all to do with his low SHBG

11.7 to 22.4 from 8/17/17 to 2/13/18...almost doubled!

That's great but what's missing here is how this helped anything at all for you besides a number moved. (im not challenging you to post your business) And I've listened to Dr Crisler state that SHBG is not static even through out the day. I'm not raining on your parade here but I'll stick to that being a pretty paltry change in numbers and isn't life changing in the TRT landscape.

meanbreen

That's great but what's missing here is how this helped anything at all for you besides a number moved. (im not challenging you to post your business) And I've listened to Dr Crisler state that SHBG is not static even through out the day. I'm not raining on your parade here but I'll stick to that being a pretty paltry change in numbers and isn't life changing in the TRT landscape.
It was more of my anecdote of how low shbg is not always nafld or diabetes. It was nice to see that increase. Also, I felt loads better after starting my thyroid medication. TRT was mostly ineffective until then (september 2017). I can't pinpoint if higher shbg was a part of that.

MikeXL

I haven't read the whole thread. But I am not surprised that fatty liver is correlated with low SHBG because high insulin decrease SHBG

Jpin22

I think there have been enough studies out there to show that low shbg is strongly associated with metabolic syndrome, fatty liver, dyslipidemia, diabetes which are all connected.

That's not to say that there aren't those who have naturally low shbg or have something else going on like low thyroid leading to low shbg.

I myself have low shbg out of range and have metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia. When I was healthy and in great shape my shbg was high normal range. Now, I can barely workout ever, have problems losing any weight, and barely have enough energy to get through the day despite a very clean diet and trt.

You can't in any way translate either of those conditions to low SHBG, it's coincidental, that you have the three, but you cannot prove one or both caused you to have low SHBG, and metabolic syndrome is a made up thing anyway that isn't a recognizable medical condition.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me