hCG Expiration . Can you freeze hCG?

Buy Lab Tests Online

JWSimpkins

I was just reading over the product insert for my hCG and it states that once reconstituted it should be used within 30 days. This doesn't make sense, since I have a prescription for three months. Does this mean that the hCG will lose its potency after 30 days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
HCG will keep its potency, if kept in the refrigerator, for 90 days without losing any potency.

After that loss is very low like 7% per month.

Don't worry about it!

Wish I had known that. I had heard 45 days. Too expensive to throw out that early! I have heard you can check it with a pregnancy test strip to see if still active.

Pregnancy strips do not work to test the potency of HCG as the minimum threshold detection levels of the most accurate tests out there are 10,000 IU/mL. That means that unless the reconstituted concentration of your HCG Injection is 10,000 IU/mL or more then the test will come back negative.

HCG is also fairly stable when refrigerated. Here's a great link to a post that explains the stability of HCG: Cost, availability and expiration of HCG

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Pregnancy strips do not work to test the potency of HCG as the minimum threshold detection levels of the most accurate tests out there are 10,000 IU/mL. That means that unless the reconstituted concentration of your HCG Injection is 10,000 IU/mL or more then the test will come back negative.

HCG is also fairly stable when refrigerated. Here's a great link to a post that explains the stability of HCG: https://www.excelmale.com/forum/threads/971-Cost-and-availability-of-HCG

How fragile is the HCG molecule?

I've read such conflicting views on it being very fragile to it not and that it's all internet lure?

Any insight?

HCG is not as fragile as some would think. Simply look at the compounding process to make lyophilized (freeze dried) HCG. First the HCG liquid is poured into vials and placed into the lyophilizer. The lyophilizer then takes the liquid down to -40 degrees Celsius and holds it there for several hours to anneal the small block of ice within the vial. From there the vials are put under vacuum and are slowly brought up to +35 degrees Celsius over a period of 24 hours and held at +35 degrees Celsius for 2 hours before the vials are stoppered and sealed.

As you can see the HCG is kept at extreme cold and warm temperatures for extended periods of time with no damage to the end product. I also have long term stability studies showing that HCG in its dried state loses less than 5% of its activity in the first 3 years (see attached chart). Once reconstituted the effects of hydrolysis degrade the molecule much quicker. I've seen potency over time tests from my analytical lab show degradation of 10% in the first 90 days.

HCG Stability Study.jpg

Bass

once a very knowledgeable man suggested filling the syringes and freezing them. then take one syringe out 5-10 minutes before injection to administer. is this still a valid method?

It is not recommended to store any injectable product in a drawn up syringe as it is not a sealed container and presents sterility issues. Not only that but the freezing/thawing of polypropylene (the type of plastic syringes are made of) can cause leeching of the plastic into solution and further degradation of many different active/inactive ingredients within the injectable. This is why 99% of injectable drugs come in borosilicate glass vials.

Bass

It is not recommended to store any injectable product in a drawn up syringe as it is not a sealed container and presents sterility issues. Not only that but the freezing/thawing of polypropylene (the type of plastic syringes are made of) can cause leeching of the plastic into solution and further degradation of many different active/inactive ingredients within the injectable. This is why 99% of injectable drugs come in borosilicate glass vials.

interesting point!

Gene Devine

Super Moderator

Do you have any studies or research to support what you're stating here?

I know of many drugs, when frozen and then thawed once, keep their potency within their original vial...but not in a pre-loaded syringe.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Trimix and HCG can be frozen after reconstitution. I forget how many times you can go through freezing-thawing cycles, though. Shaun?

Lawrence Trissel did a stability study that showed that freeze thaw cycles do not affect the potency of Trimix (Papverine HCl / Phentolamine Mesylate / Alprostadil). The only ingredient in Trimix that is affected over time under refrigerated or room temperature was the Alprostadil. About 8% alprostadil loss occurred in five days at room temperature; under refrigeration losses of about 6% and 11% occurred after 1 and 2 months, respectively. Frozen at −20°C and −70°C, less than 5% loss of any of the drug components occurred in 6 months. Room temperature exposure should be limited, and the vial should be returned to refrigeration/freezing as soon as possible.

I am not aware of any of these studies being done for HCG. That being said, freezing is part of the lyophilization process that HCG must go through before it can be dispensed, so it's probably safe to say that freezing it once or twice doesn't significantly affect its potency.

autiger

Great information from all! Shaun - two questions:

1. If a portion of reconstituted HCG were put in a conventional freezer (auto defrost on) after injecting it in sterile borosicilate vial, would the HCG retain its potency and allow it to be injected without injection safety concerns beyond the 90 days stated for refrigeration?

2. On a related front, how long is it safe to inject refrigerated HCG reconstituted with bacteriostatic water? I am using Hospira's bacteriostatic water which states the preservatives allow it to be used safely for 28 days after being punctured. Does that mean I need to throw it out after 28 days?

I ask both questions because I'd like to start ordering the 11,000 iu HCG vials from Empower. I only use 1000 iu a week so the 5,000 iu vial I get locally makes sense financially if I need to toss whatever hasn't been used after 28 days. However, if I can safely use a 11,000 iu vial for 11 weeks, using Empower is a much better choice.

Thanks for your guidance!

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching