Trazodone: Common sleep drug is little-known antidepressant

What are the top prescribed drugs for insomnia—Ambien?Lunesta? Yes, but there's another: a three-decade-old generic antidepressant called trazodone, which causes drowsiness as a potentially useful side effect. A recent U.S. study in the journal Sleep found it to be one of most commonly used medications to treat sleeplessness.

I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

All I know is that it's an SARI, a serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor. Though not an SSRI, that would worry me.
    I am not a physician. Comments offered here are for discussion purposes only. Please consult your doctor before initiating, changing, or stopping any therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastWatcher View Post
    All I know is that it's an SARI, a serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor. Though not an SSRI, that would worry me.
    Anything used to promote sleep is messing with brain chemistry and should be used with a good deal of caution.

It made me tired and weird

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    What are the top prescribed drugs for insomnia—Ambien?Lunesta? Yes, but there's another: a three-decade-old generic antidepressant called trazodone, which causes drowsiness as a potentially useful side effect. A recent U.S. study in the journal Sleep found it to be one of most commonly used medications to treat sleeplessness.
    Actually, trazadone is the first sleep aid that most psychiatrists will prescribe. It is powerful, but no psychotropic med is to be taken cavalierly. Too many primary care doctors are prescribing psychiatric meds, and trazadone is one of them. A good doctor is going to take the time to explain all this, and this should not be the first option. From a safety standpoint, melatonin is a safer bet, followed by diphenhydramine aka benedryl. Even these can cause issue the next day.

A solid evening routine which may include a hot shower or bath and meditation is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Actually, trazadone is the first sleep aid that most psychiatrists will prescribe. It is powerful, but no psychotropic med is to be taken cavalierly. Too many primary care doctors are prescribing psychiatric meds, and trazadone is one of them. A good doctor is going to take the time to explain all this, and this should not be the first option. From a safety standpoint, melatonin is a safer bet, followed by diphenhydramine aka benedryl. Even these can cause issue the next day.

A solid evening routine which may include a hot shower or bath and meditation is far better.
    Now that I'm older, I find it's harder to get a good night sleep. Sleep is one of the most important thing I find to help perform good a work. On my off days, I can spend more time in bed, get all of my exercises in and feel great. As we know today, they expect a lot from you, the 40 hour week is a thing from the past.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

Thread Information