Trazodone: Common sleep drug is little-known antidepressant

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
What are the top prescribed drugs for insomnia—Ambien?Lunesta? Yes, but there's another: a three-decade-old generic antidepressant called trazodone, which causes drowsiness as a potentially useful side effect. A recent U.S. study in the journal Sleep found it to be one of most commonly used medications to treat sleeplessness.

Actually, trazadone is the first sleep aid that most psychiatrists will prescribe. It is powerful, but no psychotropic med is to be taken cavalierly. Too many primary care doctors are prescribing psychiatric meds, and trazadone is one of them. A good doctor is going to take the time to explain all this, and this should not be the first option. From a safety standpoint, melatonin is a safer bet, followed by diphenhydramine aka benedryl. Even these can cause issue the next day.

A solid evening routine which may include a hot shower or bath and meditation is far better.

Vince

Super Moderator
Actually, trazadone is the first sleep aid that most psychiatrists will prescribe. It is powerful, but no psychotropic med is to be taken cavalierly. Too many primary care doctors are prescribing psychiatric meds, and trazadone is one of them. A good doctor is going to take the time to explain all this, and this should not be the first option. From a safety standpoint, melatonin is a safer bet, followed by diphenhydramine aka benedryl. Even these can cause issue the next day.

A solid evening routine which may include a hot shower or bath and meditation is far better.
Now that I'm older, I find it's harder to get a good night sleep. Sleep is one of the most important thing I find to help perform good a work. On my off days, I can spend more time in bed, get all of my exercises in and feel great. As we know today, they expect a lot from you, the 40 hour week is a thing from the past.

Joej85

I recently stopped taking trazodone. I had been taking it for several years for insomnia. I originally started taking 50mg/night and eventually ended up taking 150mg/night to get a good complete night's sleep. It works well for insomnia. Take the pill and 20min later I was out.

My t was low when I started it. I had zero libido, Ed, etc. Trazodone was prescribed to me as possibly being helpful to my low t issues by improving my sleep. Simultaneously, I worked my way through all types of low t treatment until I switched to defy and they got all my labs in the right range. The problem was, I still had no libido. No sexual desire at all. My t was at 1200 and I had zero libido.

After too long, I finally put 2 and 2 together. Trazodone was basically numbing my penis. I stopped taking the trazodone and almost immediately my libido came back and Ed went away. I feel better than I have in years, except for not sleeping well. I'm not 100 pct perfect, but trazodone was definitely ****ing with my libido.

Trazodone seems like such a simple drug. You take it, and you sleep better. Easy peasy. What you don't realize is that it is messing with your brain. You feel like if you don't need it, you can just skip it. It seems like it is just like taking an aspirin. But the reality is that this stuff is addicting to the point where you have major withdrawal symptoms if you do stop taking it.

I went for nearly 2 weeks without being able to really sleep at all after stopping it. Even now, over a month after stopping, I don't feel fully over the withdrawal. Google trazodone withdrawal for more info.

Trazodone is a much more serious drug than I ever thought.

I'm sure it doesn't work the same for everybody, but be cautious on this one. It really messed with me. I will never start taking it again unless I expect to stay on it permanently.

Vince

Super Moderator
Joej85, thanks for your reply. I did receive my Trazodone 50 mg but haven't took it in yet. It does scare me because now I'm reading about all the side effects. I've been experimenting with melatonin and finding out from other members that low dose seem to work better. I think I'll stick with the melatonin.

Will Brink

What are the top prescribed drugs for insomnia—Ambien?Lunesta? Yes, but there's another: a three-decade-old generic antidepressant called trazodone, which causes drowsiness as a potentially useful side effect. A recent U.S. study in the journal Sleep found it to be one of most commonly used medications to treat sleeplessness.

Try it some time

Sleep yes

Wake up feeling like chit and like you drank all night, yes. If I'm going to feel like crap the next day, I'll at least have fun the night before.

It sucks

Will Brink

Joej85, thanks for your reply. I did receive my Trazodone 50 mg but haven't took it in yet. It does scare me because now I'm reading about all the side effects. I've been experimenting with melatonin and finding out from other members that low dose seem to work better. I think I'll stick with the melatonin.

In terms of the "natural" stuff, metalonin, magnesium, and tryptophan a fairly effective, safe (of not in fact good for you) combo to try. If I take too high a dose of melatonin I feel out of it the next day, but nothing as awful as trazodone.

codus2112

In terms of the "natural" stuff, metalonin, magnesium, and tryptophan a fairly effective, safe (of not in fact good for you) combo to try. If I take too high a dose of melatonin I feel out of it the next day, but nothing as awful as trazodone.

I take Magnesium Glycinate about 6pm, i dont have insomnia but i do think it helps with sleep.

Kaes

tried traz. small dose. was concerned about priapism, a possible s/e. sure enough, it gave me a weird kind of erection that was annoying and not sexual. too funky. anyway, i wasn't sure how long the erection lasted, as it happened mostly during sleep--and i didn't want any damage. so i stopped. too risky for me. Magnesium Glycinate, as mentioned, has helped me, too.

warrior1

Vince, I have taken traz 50mg. For 10yrs. Doc prescribed it for being tired but my brain keeps running. I like it, no side effects, and I sleep sound. I feel fine in the AM and I get up at 330am. Sometimes I dont take it on weekends and I dont sleep sound.

Vince

Super Moderator
Try it some time

Sleep yes

Wake up feeling like chit and like you drank all night, yes. If I'm going to feel like crap the next day, I'll at least have fun the night before.

It sucks
LOL, it's been a long time since I've been hungover. I guess I need to try it for the memories. :)

Vince

Super Moderator
I've been having pretty good success with low-dose melatonin. Last night I tried 1 mg, I slept okay.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince, I have taken traz 50mg. For 10yrs. Doc prescribed it for being tired but my brain keeps running. I like it, no side effects, and I sleep sound. I feel fine in the AM and I get up at 330am. Sometimes I dont take it on weekends and I dont sleep sound.
My primary told me her patients had good success with trazadone 50 mg to 150 mg. Sounds like it affects everyone differently.

modawg2k

I've been on ambien 10mg nightly for over 6 years and it has messed me up. I'm dropping 2.5mg every 2 months. So far I get to sleep just fine on 7.5mg

I've experienced a lot of issues over the past few years, dry eyes over night, dry mouth, restless sleep, garbage eating just before bed time. I have not been able to take a nap in about 5 years because when you give yourself a drug that mimics what your brain does, the brain stops producing the correct signals and relies on the drug. So I'm not obviously taking it during the day for a nap, and therefore I haven't napped.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me