Low MCV and MCH, High RBC and RDW

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jpin22

Rdw 17.2 ref range 12.3-15.4
RBC 6.33 ref range 4.14-5.8
MCV 78 ref range 79-97
MCH 26.4 ref range 26.6-33

Thoughts? I have fatigue and shortness of breath. On Trt - 160mg divided into 2 doses a week.What should I get checked? Iron? Ferritin? Thanks

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Saul

MCV and MCH are saying the red blood cells are small in size which I believe is rather normal.

That is correct. My values for those tests run slightly high. Dr said no big deal if only slightly high. My RBC counts also run slightly low, again, Dr's not worried. Maybe if you have large RBC you have fewer of them and if you have smaller RBC, you have more i.e. a higher MCV/MCH value.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I know this is off the subject but how long have you been on trt and have you had your HCT checked. Have you had to donate blood?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
You guys may want to download (registered members) the file included in this post. It is my lecture on CBC panel.
Like the two Vince's said, we need to see hematocrit, iron and ferritin.

CBC panel 2.jpg

Attachments

• CBC Panel Training.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 113

Daedalus

Hi Guys,

Apologies to jump in on this post.... I have a post in the main thread that hasn’t been answered but is the same issue that’s being experienced here. Low mch, low mcv High hemocrit And high red blood cells.

I too am fatigued and have blood pressure of 160/100 on 90mg test per week,been told by my doc I’m mild anemic but don’t want to take iron supplements for fear of increasing hemocrit any more. I am donating blood this afternoon, last time was 3 months ago. Will see if blood pressure is affected.

Latest high blood tests below.

Results below:

HAEMOGLOBIN (g/L)* 174g/L. 130 - 170
HCT* 0.517 0.37 - 0.50
RED CELL COUNT* 6.74x10^12/L. 4.40 - 5.80
MCV* 76.7fL. 80 - 99
MCH* 25.8pg. 26.0 - 33.5
MCHC (g/L)337g/L. 300 - 350
RDW 12.0. 11.5 - 15.0
ALBUMIN* 53g/L. 34 - 50

IRON. 22.3umol/L. 10.6 - 28.3
T.I.B.C. 71umol/L. 41 - 77
TRANSFERRIN SATURATION. 31%. 20 - 55

Ive been having this same problem with RBC MCV and MCH for almost 4 years now, with no answers!! Been to over 5 doctors, and all kind of test, but nothing...

Daedalus

Seems to be a catch 22

Numbers show slight aneimia but I’m reluctant to add iron supplements through fear increasing hemocrit

Vince on another of my threads did suggest adding iron supplement and Vit C

I’m not sure what else to check .... was considering looking at b12 also but if that’s low may not want to add b12 again through fear of raising red blood cells and hemocrit

Saul

Seems to be a catch 22

Numbers show slight aneimia but I’m reluctant to add iron supplements through fear increasing hemocrit

Vince on another of my threads did suggest adding iron supplement and Vit C

I’m not sure what else to check .... was considering looking at b12 also but if that’s low may not want to add b12 again through fear of raising red blood cells and hemocrit

What is your Dr. basing his 'mild anemia' diagnosis?

Saul

Mcv And mch number apparently, would this be incorrect?

I am not a Dr or an expert on anemia, but your MCV and MCH are just out or range. These indicate that your RBC size is a bit smaller than average and that the hemoglobin concentration in a RCB is a bit low. But, you have more RBC than average since your RBC count is high and your iron numbers look fine.

I always thought that fatigue due to anemia was due to the blood not being able to carry enough oxygen to meet cellular needs. With your high RBC seems like you have enough RBC to carry sufficient oxygen and enough iron to make more RBC. Maybe your MCH is low enough to cause fatigue due to each RBC not carrying enough oxygen ??

I am on the other side. My RBC is often a bit low but my MCH and MCV are high, so my RBC size is bigger than average but I have a bit fewer RBC than average. Never been a problem for me and Dr. have said not to worry.

Have you had ferritin checked?

Daedalus

Thanks Saul, that’s the problem with docs in the U.K. they aren’t clued up.

Thanks for the explanation makes sense the way you said it .... the body is pretty good at adapting.

My Ferratin is 58ug/l range is 30-400

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching