Initial lab results- reason to dig in deeper?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Trizzle123

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum - been reading about the topic quite a bit and concluded that there’s definitely some good expertise here that I could leverage from. I need your opinion if I should approach a TRT clinic/order more tests or just forget the whole thing. My doc was already prescribing me some antidepressants (which is pretty *ucked up IMO) when I described the symptoms but finally agreed to order the basic tests.

Initial info:
-32yo male
-very healthy diet + supplements
-no sugar, no dairy products
-serious gym exercising 4-5(winter) 6-8(summer) times a week
-no smoking, no alcohol at all
-sleep 7-9h/day
-not too much stress at work, balanced life

Lab results:
-Total 508 ng/dl
-Free 77.4 pg/ml
-TSH 3rd gen 1.6 uIU/ml
-vitamins, cholesterol etc all perfect values

Symptoms:
-low libido, overall sex drive is getting lower month to month
-serious problems gaining muscle even both training plan and macros are mint
-easily irritated/rapid changes in mood even angry at times
-especially easily irritated and angry if even little bit hungry, hard to explain but it’s def not normal and worries me a bit
-could use more energy overall

Please tell me - am I making this up in my head or could TRT make my life better? I know there’s not much data but what does it say? The general guidelines are worthless. I’m aware of my relatively young age and lifetime commitment - no need to remind thank you.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
My next step would be to get a thyroid complete panel, get T3, T4, Free T4, Reverse T3, and antibodies.

Trizzle123

Hi Vince,
Thank you for the prompt reply. Would you like to explain why this is recommended? Purely based on the symptoms or does the brief lab results reveal something already? The doc said they’re perfect and no reason to dig in deeper.

Thanks

At 32 with a 508 you will never get a doc to prescribe T injections.
You might look into Clomid or HCG to try and get a littel more natural T.

As far as
-low libido, overall sex drive is getting lower month to month
-serious problems gaining muscle even both training plan and macros are mint
-easily irritated/rapid changes in mood even angry at times
-especially easily irritated and angry if even little bit hungry, hard to explain but it's def not normal and worries me a bit
-could use more energy overall

Welcome to your 30s you aren't 20 anymore and if you think this is bad wait till you hit your mid 40's
There is a reason >30 is the mark for over the hill.

Like Vince suggests you could investigate your thyroid.
Don't believe your PCP unless you have cancer and something is off the charts they always say you are in range.

Trizzle123

I was not worried of the thyroid initially figuring TSH 16 is a good number - haven’t done my research in that area yet but why would you suggest problems there?

I’ve been reading that Free T below 2% is considered low - mine being in the 1.5% range - that’s what triggered the doubts in the first place. Will the total T be the number docs focus on?

Will look into Clomid and HCG to understand what they are, thank you.

Last edited:

OMI100

TSH is a pituitary hormone and not a thyroid hormone.
You can have a good TSH number and still have thyroid issues.
If you wish to read up on thyroid:
Go here and look around and read first:
http://www.tiredthyroid.com/
http://www.tiredthyroid.com/what-labs.html
http://www.tiredthyroid.com/optimal-labs.html
Then order her book.
BEST web site and book covering thyroid.
Book is so well written and documented it could be used as a medical School text on thyroid conditions.
After that you will find some good information here:
http://hypothyroidmom.com/
then you might want to get this book:
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/

ratbag

You need to post the reference ranges to your labs. Your Free T is not a labcorp range so we have to guess which means we can't really make any sense without the range. Your TSH at 16 indicates you definitely have a Thyroid problem and those symptoms can mirror Low T symptoms as well. Any physician would acknowledge that 16 means you have you have an underlying issue so I assume no MD has seen these results, you would have been informed. You need to get the tests that Vince suggested above to diagnose it properly and then to treat it properly. FYI, 99% of physicians and endocrinologists do not do this correctly. It's best to get a hormone expert like our sponsors Defy in order to treat it correctly and actually feel the benefits from it. The other 99% will only put you on synthroid and say your fine... but you won't feel any better.

Trizzle123

My thyroid readings was missing a dot - it’s 1.6 not 16 as I posted. Just checked the results again. Really sorry guys for wasting your time. Will edit the OP as well. All results were reviewed by general medicine doctor.

Trizzle123

Test Result Reference

Testosterone Total 508 ng/dL 250-1100 ng/dL

Testosterone Free 77.4 pg/mL 35.0-155.0 pg/mL

Test Performed By:
Quest Diagnostics

WHITE CELL COUNT 6.0 K/UL 3.5-10.5 K/UL
RED CELL COUNT 5.20 M/UL 4.30-5.80 M/UL
HEMOGLOBIN 16.1 g/dL 13.0-17.5 g/dL
HEMATOCRIT 47.2 % 38.0-50.0 %
MCV 91 FL 80-99 FL
MCH 31.0 pg 27.0-34.0 pg
MCHC 34.1 % 32.0-35.5 %
RDW 13.1 % 11.0-15.0 %
PLATELET COUNT 230 K/UL 140-390 K/UL

Test Performed by: N/A

madman

Super Moderator
Test Result Reference

Testosterone Total 508 ng/dL 250-1100 ng/dL

Testosterone Free 77.4 pg/mL 35.0-155.0 pg/mL

Test Performed By:
Quest Diagnostics

WHITE CELL COUNT 6.0 K/UL 3.5-10.5 K/UL
RED CELL COUNT 5.20 M/UL 4.30-5.80 M/UL
HEMOGLOBIN 16.1 g/dL 13.0-17.5 g/dL
HEMATOCRIT 47.2 % 38.0-50.0 %
MCV 91 FL 80-99 FL
MCH 31.0 pg 27.0-34.0 pg
MCHC 34.1 % 32.0-35.5 %
RDW 13.1 % 11.0-15.0 %
PLATELET COUNT 230 K/UL 140-390 K/UL

Test Performed by: N/A

What time did you have your blood work done as between 8-10 am is best when looking at a more accurate testosterone level as oppose to late afternoon/evening and did you only have it tested once? Also one should be well rested and refrain from alcohol/drugs the night prior as it can greatly skew results. Adrenal health is related to cortisol levels as too low/high can cause one issues. You need to have the (4 point saliva cortisol test) done as excess stress whether from emotional/physical (over training in the gym) can cause excess cortisol which will definitely lower testosterone. You stated train 6-8 times/week in the summer hope you do not mean with weights everyday as that would be over training and can have negative effects on testosterone levels- energy/libido/erections/mood/muscle recovery/gains muscle and strength. Adrenal and thyroid health are also very critical to how well one feels overall and not just ones testosterone levels. As we know regarding overall health sleep/diet/balanced hormones are key!

Last edited:

Trizzle123

Hi madman,
And thank you for the input. The test was taken 8am with ideal conditions (lots of sleep for few days, no training the day before, drugs or alcohol I don’t use at all besides occasional ibuprofen).

The training in the summer time is combination of weight training and cardio - when in the winter it’s purely weights. Hence less exercise to recover. I’m trying to increase food intake and make sure the body recovers well enough. If this is the new standard becoming older like FeelingLost stated - it sure sucks. No wonder pro athletes take extra T to keep up with their training regime.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me