Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid levels in depressive and anxiety disorders

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Highlights
•Lower N-3 PUFA levels characterize severe patients during a current depression.
•No differences in PUFA levels were found between remitted patients and controls.
•We found no differences for N-6 PUFA levels between depressed patients and controls.
•N-3 and N-6 PUFA levels were not associated with an anxiety disorder alone.
Abstract
Background
Blood levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) have been associated to current depression. However, it is unclear whether this association extends to remitted depression and to anxiety disorders. This study examined the relationship of PUFAs with the presence and clinical characteristics of depressive and anxiety disorders.

Methods
Cross-sectional data was used from the Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety, including persons with current pure depressive disorder (n = 304), current pure anxiety disorder (n = 548), current comorbid depressive and anxiety disorder (n = 529), remitted depressive/anxiety disorder(s) (n = 897), and healthy controls (n = 634). Clinical characteristics included severity, subtypes, age of onset, duration of depression and anxiety and antidepressant use. Absolute values of omega-3 (N-3) and omega-6 (N-6) PUFAs and relative measures (as ratio of total Fatty Acids: the N-3:FA and N-6:FA ratio) in plasma were assessed using a nuclear magnetic resonance platform.

Results
Compared to controls, current comorbid depressive and anxiety disorder patients had lower N-3 PUFA levels (Cohen’s d=0.09, p = 0.012), and lower N-3:FA ratios (p = 0.002, Cohen’s d = 0.11) as did current pure depressive disorder patients (Cohen’s d = 0.13, p = 0.021), whereas N-6 PUFA levels were not different. No differences in PUFA levels were found between remitted patients and controls. Within patients, lower N-3 PUFA levels were only associated with higher depression severity (Beta = −0.42, p = 0.023), whereas for N-6 PUFA levels and other clinical characteristics no clear association was observed. PUFA alterations were not associated with pure anxiety.

Conclusion
It can be concluded that patients with a current depressive episode (especially the more severe cases with comorbid anxiety) have circulating N-3 PUFA levels lower than those in remission and healthy controls. No relationship was detected for N-6 PUFA levels.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.10.005

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I've read that in the past and strongly believe it. I supplement with fish oil EPA and DHA about 2000mg twice a day. It's also good for my lipid panel.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince, what brand do you use?
Nordic Naturals Omega 3

I like supplementing Omega 3 fatty acids it increases the brain's content of DHA. The brain's made up of a lot of DHA, having a lot of DHA because it prevents Alzheimer's and it keeps mental state at its peak level. Omega 3 fatty acids also have this wonderful effect on the brain.

Nordic Naturals Omega 3

I like supplementing Omega 3 fatty acids it increases the brain's content of DHA. The brain's made up of a lot of DHA, having a lot of DHA because it prevents Alzheimer's and it keeps mental state at its peak level. Omega 3 fatty acids also have this wonderful effect on the brain.
I also use Nordic Naturals Omega 3 fish oil @ 3300mg per day.
Of all the supplements I have tried I can feel this one working.
It took about 3 months but I have lost all pain in my hands from arthritis.

Vince

Super Moderator
I also use Nordic Naturals Omega 3 fish oil @ 3300mg per day.
Of all the supplements I have tried I can feel this one working.
It took about 3 months but I have lost all pain in my hands from arthritis.
Wow that's incredible, I hope it continues working for you. My mom has arthritis and I know how painful it can be.

CarlitoBrigante

Mr. Vergel,

Is there a specific brand you can recommend for Omega 3?

I want to supplement based on my lipid profile. Physicians assistant said 2gs a day.

Thanks

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale